Starting today, with week 1/day 1

Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
Hi, all -

I am starting C25K today. Anyone else at the same point?

My history: I did C25K in the fall, starting at week 4 and ending right after Thanksgiving. I haven't run (or otherwise worked out) at all since then, so I feel like it will be best to start over now and take it slowly. I've been in a very busy period at work that finally ended last week, so now I feel like I can pay attention to me again!

I am a long-time runner and ten-time marathoner, but have pretty much shut down my running over the past year. I have a permanent injury to my right hip labrum that will likely keep me from longer distances, but I can do ok with building up to a 5K. C25K's warm-ups and cool-downs and run/walk intervals really helped me deal with the discomfort before.

I need to get some good habits started - C25K 3 days/week, and stretching/strengthening on the off days.

Let's do this!

- Brian

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Best of luck Brian!
    Please keep us posted. I like reading how people are doing.
    I am just wrapping mine up (I completed week 7 this morning) and can't believe how well thought out the program is.
    Cheers!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Week 1 complete. I did Mon on the TM at home, Weds on the TM at work, and Sat on a bike/hike path near home. Simple enough. I'm getting some mild soreness in my hip, but nothing I can't tolerate.

The good: got all 3 workouts done. Not really a struggle to complete the short 60 sec run intervals in week one. I noticed the outdoor workout was the hardest of the three, possibly because I was walking faster during the walk intervals.

The bad: I didn't do any workout at all on the off days. I really need to do some stretching and strengthening stuff, even if relatively simple, to help with the hip issue. I'll aim for stretching and foam rolling later today.

• GOT_Obsessed
    Well done!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Finished week two. The good news: I got to do my runs in favorite old running spots in my old hometown. The runs felt great. The bad news: my out of town travel was unplanned and events kind of conspired to keep me from doing all three runs. I logged week 2 days 1 and 3, and will move on to week 3 tomorrow. Going great. Love this program for the balance and slow progression.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Finished week three.

I ran on Tuesday in fresh snow on a favorite big loop back in my old hometown. Day 2 was Friday morning on the TM at home - it was sub-zero cold here in MN. Finished the week on Sunday morning with another tour of the great indoors on the TM at home.

Good week. Encouraging. Not very much hip pain, feeling pretty good. Bonus: I got out on Sat morning for 30 minutes of easy-paced XC skiing. Looking forward to more of that in the coming weeks.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Excellent. Keep at it!
  • I started Week 1, Day 1 yesterday!

Great job being on week 3 :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Starting over again myself. 3rd time I'm doing C25K. Finished W1D2 yesterday. Not sure I'll manage to get all the way to the end this time but I'll give it a go!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Starting over again myself. 3rd time I'm doing C25K. Finished W1D2 yesterday. Not sure I'll manage to get all the way to the end this time but I'll give it a go!

I am glad you are giving it a go but why are you doubting yourself? Try to be more positive. If I can do it so can you!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member

I am glad you are giving it a go but why are you doubting yourself? Try to be more positive. If I can do it so can you!

Ha! You're right! I guess I'm just doing it for the activity and not so goal oriented this time around, plus I am WAY out of shape compared to last time I did it. I am giving myself permission to fail, so if I end up repeating Week 4 for a month I won't feel bad!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    edited February 2018
    I finished week 4 with a nice outdoor run this morning. It was cold, but clear blue sky and only a little wind made for a nice outing. I'm very glad I did it. Week 4 days 1 and 2 were on the TM at home. With the same mix of run/walk, I went .2 miles longer today - outdoors - than I did on Weds on the TM. That made me feel good, but I wonder if subconsciously I wasn't running faster with the mistaken idea that it would get me out of the cold more quickly!

I'm still feeling good, but still neglecting the stretching and strengthening I should be doing. Planning to XC ski tomorrow, so there's a little cross-training in the mix.

C25K confession: I find myself crushing on trainer Billie from the Active.com C25K app. That's totally normal, right? Lol. I think it's the inflection in her voice when she says "Halfway there!" I can tell she cares. ;-)

• GOT_Obsessed

Ha! You're right! I guess I'm just doing it for the activity and not so goal oriented this time around, plus I am WAY out of shape compared to last time I did it. I am giving myself permission to fail, so if I end up repeating Week 4 for a month I won't feel bad!

Nothing wrong with repeating weeks at all. I repeated days (not full weeks) when I just could not get through the jogs without walking.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    I finished week 4 with a nice outdoor run this morning. It was cold, but clear blue sky and only a little wind made for a nice outing. I'm very glad I did it. Week 4 days 1 and 2 were on the TM at home. Still feeling good, but still neglecting the stretching and strengthening I should be doing. Planning to XC ski tomorrow, so there's a little cross-training in the mix.

Awesome! I am going cross country skiing tomorrow too! I have not gone in a few years and I have never been good at it. I am definitely a way better downhill skier. Have fun dude!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    edited February 2018
    Have fun dude!

You too!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Week 5 is all logged. I ran on the TM at home on Monday, outdoors on Weds, and on the TM at work yesterday. I was surprised by the 20 minute run on week 5, day 3. Even though I just did C25K last fall I did not remember what seems like a pretty big leap in the run interval. It all went well, but when I saw that I'd be running for 20 minutes I did back off on the pace. Honestly, I've probably been doing a lot of my run intervals faster than I should.

I have to think about my schedule for Week 6. I'll be enjoying a long weekend in Palm Springs and want to get two running days in while I'm out there. The though of running outdoors in shorts and a t-shirt is very appealing from where I sit now!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Week 6 is in the books. I don't even remember day 1, but I'm guessing it was on the TM at work. For days 2 and 3, I had a blast running in California, although it was colder than I expected. I was in Desert Hot Springs Friday morning and actually started out with beanie cap, gloves, and jacket. It was very windy and about 40 degrees, so felt plenty cold. Also, hilly up there! A nice change of pace for me. On Sunday morning I ran in Palm Springs and it was glorious. 55-60 degrees and a beautiful blue sky made for a very enjoyable 22 minute run.

On to Week 7 beginning this evening.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Week 6 is in the books. I don't even remember day 1, but I'm guessing it was on the TM at work. For days 2 and 3, I had a blast running in California, although it was colder than I expected. I was in Desert Hot Springs Friday morning and actually started out with beanie cap, gloves, and jacket. It was very windy and about 40 degrees, so felt plenty cold. Also, hilly up there! A nice change of pace for me. On Sunday morning I ran in Palm Springs and it was glorious. 55-60 degrees and a beautiful blue sky made for a very enjoyable 22 minute run.

On to Week 7 beginning this evening.

That is great! I am glad to see you progress so well. Isn't it rewarding?

I am waiting for the snow and ice to melt and plan to do the whole thing over outside.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Checking in, but not with good news. My C25K path hit a pothole last week. I blame a combination of factors: I was unusually sore early in the week, then unusually busy at work.

I decided to skip the week entirely and will either repeat week 6 or take a step back to week 5. I'm not in a hurry, and I'd rather figure out how to enjoy some running with minimal hip/back/butt pain than push things along just to get it done.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Atleast you are being smart about it. All the best!
  • sirricelik
    sirricelik Posts: 17 Member
    Attempted W1D1 about 2 weeks ago. Couldn't finish the exercise and did some light training for the next two weeks. Restarted the journey yesterday, and today was W1D2.

Add me and we can support each other!