The Biggie (well one of I guess)

Options
Well its official - today I am celebrating the big 50 ! My husbands birthday is also today although he is a mere year behind me. It typical style we had started our diet last Monday (forgetting about birthdays) and in the first week did great. On weigh in yesterday I had lost 3.5 lbs and hubby had lost 8lbs. The dilemma - he is taking me out for a meal tonight and already I am worrying about blowing the bank and undoing the good work from last week. Its only one meal right ? so I should not feel guilty. I am not a dessert person anyway so potentially only a starter and main. Will be looking for fish if possible. I have been ultra good today and have managed to save up 900 cals from my 1200 cal daily allowance - and drinking gallons of water ! Hope it does not make me disappointed next Monday as I felt a million dollars yesterday after our achievements of the first week.

Replies

• Pkov123
    Pkov123 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday don't worry too much if you go above 1200 calories, enjoy yourself. I'm trying to calm down from an anxiety attack, but anyways don't worry
    Happy Birthday
  • Pkov123
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? Just because 1200 is low especially on your birthday. Haha But yeah try to enjoy yourself healthily. :)
  • kkpps
    kkpps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry to hear that. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I am 5ft 6" and weigh 13st 13. Well I do as of yesterday - no idea what will happen after this evening :neutral: I would just prefer not to be back in the 14st bracket again on next weigh in. I guess I have almost a week to make amends.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! "Guilt" is NOT a feeling you should ever associate with food. Enjoy food and try to make the best choices you can. You'll need to learn to manage eating out while losing and/or maintaining your weight for the rest of your life, so might as well start now.

I doubt you'll gain weight from one meal, but keep in mind that weight fluctuates naturally. That's normal for the human body. Yes, weighing yourself is an important way to track your progress, but don't become emotionally invested in the numbers themselves. If your next weigh in is a little higher than you'd like, so what? Just keep on the right track and eventually it will go lower.

Enjoy your evening!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Celebrate your birthdays, get back to work tomorrow. One of the things you'll have to learn about is how to enjoy birthdays/holidays/celebrations within your lifestyle. Personally I worry less about my calorie intake on those days, usually working with my weekly calories or taking a diet break. But those end up making up a handful of days over the long term.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You only turn 50 once :) go enjoy yourself!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Relax. Stay focused. Alcohol?

Fish can be good if you pay attention. Grilled not fried. A hint- crusted, is code for fried. Sauces- some restaurants take perfectly good pieces of grilled fish and dump calorie bomb sauce on it.

Rice, potato, couscous? Try to skip it, see if you can get extra veggies. Baked potato if necessary.

I’m assuming since it’s an occasion you’re going to a class joint. Don’t be shy about asking questions or making special requests. I have said to waiters this exactly “I need your help. I can’t have any bad stuff. My cardiologist is at the next table.”
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! I like your approach -- saving up some calories, drinking lots of water, and letting yourself be a little indulgent without going overboard is spot-on.

It sounds like you're doing weekly weigh-ins, which is good in this case. High-sodium days can temporarily cause bumps on the scale, but since you're not weighing in until next Monday, you'll have plenty of time to process out any unusual water retention.

The only other thing I might suggest is to incorporate a little extra exercise to give yourself a buffer. Don't go overboard -- maybe a few extra 10-15 minute walks over the course of the week or something gentle like that (if you can).
  • Pkov123
    Options
    So you weigh 195 at 5'6, honestly you probably look thin, please enjoy your birthday dinner! You can dress up fancy and eat some expensive food. Have a very happy Birthday!
  • Pkov123
    Options
    YOLO Have a happy night! :D
  • kkpps
    Options
    Thank alls - feel a bit more relaxed now. Will try to be good B) And extra dog walking for the rest of the week !
  • Pkov123
    Options
    Y
    kkpps wrote: »
    Oh sorry to hear that. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I am 5ft 6" and weigh 13st 13. Well I do as of yesterday - no idea what will happen after this evening :neutral: I would just prefer not to be back in the 14st bracket again on next weigh in. I guess I have almost a week to make amends.

Responding helps me calm down
    And here is a bday present
  • Pkov123
    Options
    195 is way below average weight in America! So yay!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I always try to keep the big picture in focus...in the big picture, birthdays, holidays, other random special occasions, etc aren't particularly material...what matters in the big picture is what you're doing most of the time, not occasions.

I know big picture can be challenging in the beginning...but really, successful weight management goes into perpetuity so at some point you have to stop thinking in terms of day to day and start looking at weeks, months, and years...
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Enjoy yourself like others have said.

But don't weigh yourself tomorrow, I usually find a lot of excess water weight after eating out, which takes a day or two to get rid of. If you weigh yourself tomorrow, you might feel like you messed up your progress... but you didn't really, you're just retaining a lot of water.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Pkov123 wrote: »

Even if it's "below average" it's still obese at her height
  • Pkov123
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Pkov123 wrote: »

Even if it's "below average" it's still obese at her height

I know but I'm trying to build her confidence I just recovered from anxiety attack I don't want to have panic attack again like last night.

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and welcome to the better half of the century! ;) Enjoy your day, enjoy your dinner out and don't fret over the calories. Try to stick under maintenance calories if you are feeling stressed. No one should have to diet on their birthday! :)
  • kkpps
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well we had a lovely evening. Only 300 cals over my daily allowance but hey ho. Today is another day and back on track. Extra long dog walk this morning and won't be weighing in again anyway until next Monday. Thanks for everyone's input, birthday wishes and encouragement x