Desperate to stop my weight gain.

2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I just wanted to mention one more thought on the topic of logging. Sometimes we *account* for everything, but there are a lot of bogus database entries on MFP. I once saw a KFC fried chicken breast listed as 150 calories (hint- not even close ;) ). Also, if a person has lasagna that was made at home, you can't just log "homemade lasagna" and use whatever comes up- it has to be based on the specific ingredients/quantities you used, which involves using the recipe builder and calculating portion sizes. So especially now, if you are on the road and eating out a lot, this could be a factor. Just to be clear- no one's accusing you of dishonesty or anything like that. Accuracy is an ongoing challenge for everyone. :) Please keep us updated on your progress.
  • FlexJackson
    FlexJackson Posts: 19 Member
    BZH10 - Its not like I've just started this. I've been doing it for a year and change and following the app ice been dropping weight like clocks work and as I've dropped more and more weight the app as cut my calories accordingly. Right now I'm at the calories intake for the lowest level of activity which is 1650 and I have been hitting that goal everyday so my body shouldn't be holding on to weight adjusting for nothing when I'm at a 7 thousand calorie deficit at the end of the week and yes I use a food scale and my diary is on whatever the default is, I haven't made it closed to the public so it should be open.

Apullum - No I don't go to restaurants alot I only go on Saturdays. During the week I have a my fridge fully stocked with healthy food for the week and again I stay under my calorie goal. If I run out of food before I can go home and restock at a Walmart I often eat the tuna sandwich out of subway, if one of those are not around I might have to eat something out a Mc Donalds either way no matter what at the end of the day I'm under my calorie goal no matter what. There plenty of healthy options for use truck drivers on the road, those who says there isn't are just making excuses.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    You also said that you are currently under a lot of stress. That makes a difference in being able to lose weight. You may be sleeping less, which can also affect weight loss. Increasing your exercise will help both your stress levels and sleeping, plus you'll burn calories and build muscle. When you take a driving break, go for a brisk walk. Even 10-15 minutes can help.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    You mention a food scale, but use also cups and spoons a lot.

Have you seen this? Just posting it in case you haven't, and for the lurkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Also, have you adjusted your current weight in your MFP goals section since losing weight?

Now that you're thinner, your daily calorie limit should be smaller than when you began. You should readjust that setting every 10-20 lbs you lose.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    No advice, just wanted to say that I'm rooting for you. You're determined and you are going to win this one, even if there are some bumps along the way!

Well, maybe a little advice - I think your idea of doing a short routine every time you go for a stop is a good one. Frequent short sessions of high intensity exercise will get your heart rate up and might help combat your more sedentary job.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    These are such great suggestions and perfect timing for me so thanks everyone!
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    are you eating a lot of salt? it could possibly be water retention/bloating. in any case have you had your yearly physical yet? if not might be a good time to get it.
  • chelliz88
    chelliz88 Posts: 62 Member
    Your job is more sedentary now, that will make a huge difference to the amount of calories you are burning. Have you changed your settings here to reflect that?

If you have been gaining weight it looks like you are eating more than you think :/ and there's nothing wrong with a 'cheat' meal as long as it doesn't wipe out your weeks calorie deficit.
    Tighten the logging, and monitor your weight for another few weeks to see whats what. Sometimes if we're stressed our bodies holds on to water weight.

That's exactly what I was going to ask.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    If I run out of food before I can go home and restock at a Walmart I often eat the tuna sandwich out of subway, if one of those are not around I might have to eat something out a Mc Donalds either way no matter what at the end of the day I'm under my calorie goal no matter what.

Make sure you're reading the fast food menu calorie counts correctly.

For example, Subway's Tuna sandwich is 470 calories for a 6" sandwich. That's on their lowest calorie bread, without cheese or any condiments. Simply put it on a wheat roll, add cheese and mayonnaise, you're up to 630 calories. Maybe they put a little too much mayonnaise on (or tuna w/mayonnaise), you could be almost 800 calories.

Make sure you know what the calorie counts actually mean when they write them up there. We have an ice cream restaurant around us that shows calorie counts for ice cream, shakes, etc. - but the calorie counts are like '120 calories' for a cone. This is the baby 5 oz. cone only. This is not listed on the ordering menu, only on the printed menu in small print. The other cones start at 12oz.

So, the cones you'd buy are actually 300-800 calories depending on small/medium/large. I see many people seeing the '120 calories', assume that means small, and large would maybe be twice as much. They think a large is like 250 calories when it's really 800.

I always try and give myself a 15-20% overage when eating out, even with listed calories!