New & Going Keto with Roommate Who Isn't!

Hi everyone! I'm here hoping that some friendly mutual support will help me get over the hurdle of making dramatic changes in a household that ISN'T. I've been losing and regaining the same 20 lbs or so for five years (before that, I just gained). I'm sort of like Tom Hanks trying to get his raft past the breakers.... just need a broken porta-potty wall to surf to freedom. I know y'all have been WAITING ALL YOUR LIVES to be metaphorically linked with porta-potty wall, so DON'T BE SHY. Let's be friends and I'll share my crab legs and coconuts. ;)

Replies

• TMski1000
    TMski1000 Posts: 48 Member
    I have a husband that has no interest in keto. That means meal prepping 2 different styles of meals. He doesn't cook but if he eats the same stuff as me along with the sweets and other crap he is just going to get fat. I need to drop weight bad.. this is the way il ike bc i don't have to give up bacon and cheese!
  • jilliannie86
    jilliannie86 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there, I am keto and my husband is not too. He has a super fast metabolism but doesn’t eat a lot - I fix the majority of our meals; I may or may not fix him rice or something with chicken and I’ll have a salad. My thing is that I won’t go too far out of the way for his meal. I won’t make mashed potatoes, for example; I’ll buy the little instant pots of them. I made him pancakes for breakfast this week on Sunday when I was meal prepping anyway, so it wasn’t too bad! In my case, my husband can eat anything; he goes to the gym regularly and is trying to gain a bit, so it is fine. I’d just make some stopgaps like I have; it will save you time and heartache in the long run!
  • lbowenj
    lbowenj Posts: 7 Member
    I'm new to keto too and my husband won't give up his carbs (NO WAY) - so I'm making meals a little differently and I too worry that if he eats the same dinner I eat that he'll just gain weight - but I am cooking meat for both of us and he gets his potato or whatever Mac n cheese etc and his vege's and all is well with him. I turn my meat into a keto meal with whatever I decide to add for the day... lol - one day it was cauliflower, chicken and cheese in a small casserole dish (heated to melt the cheese and YUM). I am hoping to find some recipes that I can make ahead and freeze so I can just pull out my meal choice for the day and boom... dinner is done - lol (anyone think I can do it ? ROFL) I sure hope so. But I'm feeling great about this diet - it has plenty of food on it that I LOVE and I'm losing weight already. I have more energy now then I've had in a very long time and so I started exercising yesterday. I feel GREAT!
  • Rez_jr
    Rez_jr Posts: 37 Member
    me and my lady have been keto for 1 year now...love it. any support you need add meeee and ilovefood74
  • LadyDeadpool30
    LadyDeadpool30 Posts: 4 Member
    I live with my husband and my sister (who's chronically ill), her 2 teens and my 2 year old. The adults are on keto with me  (though obviously we eat different amounts). The teens and my son obviously are not.  Especially since they are all in the lower 15th percentile for weight based on height.  Joys of severe ADHD-H and being 2.  The teens are home schooled and I'm a stay at home mom so I make all 3 meals a day (and snacks for the toddler...the teens handle their own snacks).  So I make everything keto based and add rice or potato or pasta (we do gluten free rice pasta due to allergies) for the kids.  The key is to make just enough for them to where you can't sneak any.
  • femmuzcle
    femmuzcle Posts: 3 Member
    I'm embarking on keto myself