Does anyone have any suggestions on flattening your stomach in a month

13»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    75 or more full situps everyday or night will seriously help flatten your stomach

If by "full situp" you mean hands behind head and chest to knees the only thing that it will seriously do is work your hip flexors and aggravate your back.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    75 or more full situps everyday or night will seriously help flatten your stomach

If by "full situp" you mean hands behind head and chest to knees the only thing that it will seriously do is work your hip flexors and aggravate your back.

If you do situps correctly, like with all exercises, there is no evidence to support that it will aggravate your back.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

If you do situps correctly, like with all exercises, there is no evidence to support that it will aggravate your back.

I agree but most people don't do them correctly and there are better ways to strengthen the core.
  • stanmann571

Agree, except that correctly and "full situps" are contradictory.
  • psuLemon

I agree but most people don't do them correctly and there are better ways to strengthen the core.

The same can be said about deadlifts and squats. But people doing wrong doesn't take away from that fact that sit ups activate the upper abs more than a large majority of "ab" moves out there. And there is a potential for progressive overload since you can add weight. And yes, just like squats and DL, there are multiple variations which can be implemented which may be easier or allow for better form for some people.

And just like my lifts, I incorporate a variety of targeted ab work in a variety of rep ranges. This way you can work all four major ab components.
  • psuLemon

Explain. Or are we arguing terminology?
  • Wheelhouse15

The same can be said about deadlifts and squats. But people doing wrong doesn't take away from that fact that sit ups activate the upper abs more than a large majority of "ab" moves out there. And there is a potential for progressive overload since you can add weight. And yes, just like squats and DL, there are multiple variations which can be implemented which may be easier or allow for better form for some people.

And just like my lifts, I incorporate a variety of targeted ab work in a variety of rep ranges. This way you can work all four major ab components.

At this time of year I tend to look away from the squat and deadlift racks. Those guys are seriously out to get injured.
  • stanmann571

Explain. Or are we arguing terminology?

The situp I described will cause injury to the back.... and most likely to the neck. Which is why the US Navy and Air Force have gone to "crunches/curlups" which while still hip flexor intensive put less strain on the back/neck.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I’m almost at my weight gain goal but now I want flattening my stomach.

deadbug holds for lower abs, me. and front-and-side planks just on general principles.

there are plenty of other things, but i have some pretty lazy tva going on, personally. so i'm more of a deadbug fan.
  • Wheelhouse15

deadbug holds for lower abs, me. and front-and-side planks just on general principles.

there are plenty of other things, but i have some pretty lazy tva going on, personally. so i'm more of a deadbug fan.

Taken out of context that sounds really odd. :lol:
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Girdle?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

I prefer my bugs to be dead as well.