Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I am sure like all things, they have to go through a review process before they make sweeping adjustments to their recommendations. I suspect they will catch up.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like mine, but they may not do anything for you. Supplements are hit or miss and a lot of the results are the placebo affect. Mine taste good and work for me (GNC gummy worm LIT BCAA) so I figure why not! I haven't found any skin problems as a result of them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    A relatively simple, evidence-based discussion of why BCAAs are worthless:

http://physiqonomics.com/bcaas/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I love those Physiqonomic explanations. Thanks AnvilHead.

(Didn't post workout protein consumption get revised to 40g?
    I could be dead wrong on that, not the most science oriented person, but I was sure I read something on that recently.)

I have thought of trying leucine, just because I'm old, but decided not to. It's not as though I am trying to hit incredible lifts, just a reasonable progression.

Cheers, h.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree you don’t really need to have them. I try to lift hard and heavy and have been for years. I felt I got results by adding 5grams creatine monohydrate.
  • mmapags
    Options
    ars1300 wrote: »
    I agree you don’t really need to have them. I try to lift hard and heavy and have been for years. I felt I got results by adding 5grams creatine monohydrate.

Creatine is a substances that actually has lot's of research that demonstrates it's effectiveness.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ooh, I love those Physiqonomic explanations. Thanks AnvilHead.

(Didn't post workout protein consumption get revised to 40g?
    I could be dead wrong on that, not the most science oriented person, but I was sure I read something on that recently.)

I have thought of trying leucine, just because I'm old, but decided not to. It's not as though I am trying to hit incredible lifts, just a reasonable progression.

Cheers, h.

There isn't enough evidence to provide a definitive answer on whether timed nutrients even has an impact as compared to total diet. So at this point, consume post workout protein if you prefer. It can't hurt but may or may not help.
  • mmapags
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    A relatively simple, evidence-based discussion of why BCAAs are worthless:

http://physiqonomics.com/bcaas/

I like this! It is laid out simply and with graphics. It also quotes the study in the first link I posted above. Thanks
  • mmapags
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    I always take my BCAAs. Maxi muscle Apple and pear ones. They're beauty!

I find taking them during sessions (especially leg day) helps me to stop cramping up or throwing up... but I also rake them on a morning as that's when I get my least amount of protein.

They give me that extra something I need. I'm 4 months pregnant at the minute and I'm still taking them and still training and I find they help. My personal preference really :)

Did you read any of the research in the post by middlehaitch?

Nope. As I said, my personal preference and I find they work :)

Work in what sense? You don't cramp (more to do with hydration than anything)? Placebo effect? If you did bother to look at the research you would have seen they do absolutely nothing. But hey, if you enjoy spending money flavoring your water, feel free. Don't allow yourself to be encumbered by facts.

It may be a placebo effect. Same as a lot of other things are, but who are you to say they 'do not work for me?' How do you know that research is accurate? I do stay hydrated throughout all of my workouts but have found I am less sore and cramp less during leg day if I take BCAAs aswell as other fluids. Again, my personal preference. How about you focus more on your own gains and what you're doing and less on criticising others on what they feel works for them! Everybody is different.

Well, I am not the one who is saying. Researchers are. And not just a couple. As for why your concoction would help with cramping, I couldn't even begin to imagine. The original claims around BCAAs, since disproven, is that the increase in leucine drove increased MPS (Muscle Protein Sythesis). Turns out they do not, based on study results. And can even have a negative effect according to the Wolfe study listed above. Electrolytes can have an impact on cramping. BCAAs, not so much.

As far as your last statement that I bolded, I'll just leave this here:
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html/
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    ars1300 wrote: »

Creatine is a substances that actually has lot's of research that demonstrates it's effectiveness.

Interesting! I looked into it a bit and may switch to that and see how i feel.