IIFYM macro percentages

Hi, I have just started flexible dieting and reading so many different opinions on percentages. I'm 64kg 5 ft 1.5 , I'm currently eating 1410 cals and doing 45% p 35% c 20% f. I've just paid for plan off IIFYM and they are suggesting 1600 cals including 155g surely that will make me bulk. What does everybody else do? Is it trial and error?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    most IIFYM sites tend to focus on higher protein - with your current weight (140ish lbs) - i would say 110-120g protein is sufficient
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    most IIFYM sites tend to focus on higher protein - with your current weight (140ish lbs) - i would say 110-120g protein is sufficient

Yeah, 45% protein is a lot.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    I'm about the same stats and my protein goal is 115g then 42g fat and fill the rest with carbs or more protein and fat. I don't do macros really but do try to get my protein goal as I'm trying to build muscle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    What are even your goals? The difference in calories is only 190, so it's doubtful you will bulk.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    The differnce in calories is most liekly that IIFYM uses TDEE - 20% whereas MFP uses a 250cal deficit for every 0.5lb weight loss goal/week... the other diffence could be that IIFYM cals included planned exercise, whereas MFP only ads the exercise cals in when you log exercise. six of one half a dozen of the other.

Only thing I will say about the macros. 20% fat seems quite low. I would increase that to 25-30% and lower the protein to compensate, as that seems like a lot of protein given you weight
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Percentages for macros are pretty useless tbh. You should focus on the actual grams of each macro according to your bodyweight. Not percentage of calories.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't think you'll be bulking at 1600 cals, more likely cutting really. I think you should redo your TDEE calculations. I just looked at the calculations for a sedentary woman, age 30, with your height and weight and your daily TDEE is around 1800 calories per day. 1400 would be your BRM, and 1600 would still be very low and not a bulking diet.

Try the calculations again, you should probably be eating closer to 2200-2500 calories if you want to bulk, particularly if you are lifting to gain muscle as you bulk.