Stressed with Macros

2»

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    You seem to be ignoring all the reasoned advise in this thread and making things purposefully difficult.

Have reasonable goals. Hit fat, hit protein and fill the rest of your calorie allowance with carbs.

There's no extra points for eating quiona over any other carb.

It's really not that difficult.

Certainly not, quite the opposite. I'm asking questions like any person should. I'm so pleased that you have it all figured out.

@usmcmp and I asked the same question at the beginning of the thread regarding the reason for your veganism as a way to help give us insight into what the problem is, but that question was never answered either.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Where did you get your macros from, and is there a specific reason you feel the need to hit them to the point it stresses you out?

I just try to get enough protein most days and let the rest fall where they may. If I notice my fat is low for a couple days in a row I'll make an effort to get that up. As long as I'm feeling good I don't stress about it. :smiley:

I got them from IIFYM with a reason to gain muscle, I'm 113 pounds and need all the help I can get.

And IIFYM (the web site) works with fixed macro percentages which are restrictive and unnecessary. IIFYM the eating philosophy isn't the same thing at all - flexible dieting means exactly that, flexible not fixed, yours not someone else's macro choices. If you don't like restriction then don't make yourself be restricted.

Get your protein in, get your fat in - the rest of your allowance then becomes flexible within your calorie goal.

And do remember you don't gain muscle from eating. Good training supported by an adequate diet - nothing more complex than that (apart from patience!).

I do weights three times a week and am progressing heavier, I'm trying to do my best with the info that is out there. I eat well, healthy but yes maybe it is why I'm in a corner now with all of this.

Forgive me if I am wrong but why would this info exist for those who want to weightlift to and add muscle/lean out and then not use it?

I've never seen the 'eat what you like as long as it falls into macro' advice before. It's usually very complicated with addition and subtraction, body fat ratio and...well, might as well but inside leg measurement :D

"Forgive me if I am wrong but why would this info exist for those who want to weightlift to and add muscle/lean out and then not use it?"

Don't get what point you are trying to make at all - can you expand please?
    The internet is full of information and opinions, some good, some OK, some awful - some just pretty much irrelevant to most people outside a small niche. IIFYM.com is just a website with one person's opinion.

You lean out by burning off your fat stores, you promote muscle growth from your training.
    Diet merely supports your training/recovery and that diet can be hugely varied between individuals although certain parameters are known to be beneficial. (e.g. higher than normal protein, even that has a huge range not one set number).

Flexible dieting / IIFYM is trying to get away from silly and unnecessary restrictions such as arbitrary numbers of meals, gym bro diets of steamed chicken and broccoli - I'm not seeing how that philosophy is making you more anxious rather than less anxious. (My guess is you are trying to precisely hit certain numbers - I'm trying to show you that's not needed or helpful.)

You need to expand on the anxiety you are feeling and your thought processes because it's not clear.
    Why precisely are you stressing about carbs? As long as they fit in your calorie allowance what's the problem if they are proportionally high but in context of a healthy diet?

It seems I've become a victim of the male driven, bland bodybuilding diet advice that is all over the internet.

Of course I can think for myself but when the overwhelming lists of similar sites all day the same thing you can become blinkered.

Thanks to the great advice on here, such as yours, I can learn to grow and change my thoughts.

I mean, look at eating clean for example. It can make so many think that's all there is and many become orthorexic as nothing else is good enough.

Off track a little now but my point is that following any eating plan has its pitfalls.

I can only thank you all for your patience and support and change the way I think about things from here on.