How do you track your progress? FFMI, Bf%, Scale, Measurements, Reps/Lifts

What are your goals ultimately?

Are you shooting for a certain weight, simply trying to increase strength, reaching a certain ffmi?

I'm trying like everyone to get stronger without gaining fat, so scale weight, nor measurements, nor weight lifted, nor body fat percentage, seems to cover all the bases...

FFMI seems like a good goal to have however...

I've read that it's very difficult to get above 23 without the genetics for it, or steroids...

Right now I'm estimating 22.8 ffmi, using calipers and a scale, along with Scoobys calculator (great tool by the way), highly recommended Scoobys workshop, Google TS!

Definitely have gotten stronger as well

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I use Jefit to track my lifting. It'll calculate 1 rep maxes based on the reps and sets you do each day, and plot it. It will also plot volume lifting.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    I track a lot of things to gauge my progress. Lifts, overall weight, body fat, etc. all have a place in that for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I suppose I have a certain goal physique in mind, more muscle, especially glutes. I feel like I will know when I get there (I hope!). I don't think it's a specific bodyfat % at this point, but I would love to be 140lbs or so, fairly lean (under 20% bodyfat, but doesn't have to stay that way all year round). It will probably take me a few more bulk/cut cycles to get there. Getting stronger is great too.. getting better at yoga.

In terms of how I measure progress, it depends what I am doing (bulking, cutting, recomping) I will have certain marks I like to hit. For the most part it is weight, my lifts (weight, reps, overall volume, intensity, recovery etc) and how I look in the mirror and progress photos. To be honest I don't track measurements very often... usually just at the start and end of a bulk or cut for fun.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited January 2018
    I track my weight, cals and macros daily for weight management.

I measured my BF by DXA and hydro quarterly for 18 months for to determine if my BF loss efforts were successful or not. They were and I've stopped measuring it quarterly and will only do so annually from now on, unless there's a specific reason to do so earlier.

I use a 1RM calculator to measure and track my strength based on different lifts, reps and weights. I use the calculator on Strength Level website but you could use any other. They're all a bit different in the formulas they use and the results given. You just need to use the same one consistently over time so that there is a common base of comparison.

Finally, I use the gender/age/weight adjusted Stregth Level database and the Killustrated charts to asess where I stand in terms of my relative strength when compared w/other men if my age/weight.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    I track my weight, calories and macros on here.

I use fitnotes on my phone to track weight/reps/pbs etc... This means I can plan out my workouts in advance if I need to. This app uses your current stats that are in there based on what weight you're lifting and reps you are doing to calculate your 1RM's etc so this always gives me something to shoot for.

To track progress I use photo's mainly. I've never calculated my BF or anything as currently I don't feel I need to, I can see the difference in my muscle gain/ BF by progress photo's and comparisons. :) When it gets towards competing then I'll use a prep coach who can track all of this and measure for me but just for my current goals, I don't see the need!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    FFMI calculators are garbage, most people think they are higher than they are which leads to a lot of arguments on the boards about their value. I would just go with measurements, weight, your lifting progress and what the mirror and others tell you.

If you have an accurate way of measuring BF% then that could be useful as well, but don't obsess about it, and don't rely on scales for that measurement either, it's not horrible reliable, although if it has an athletic mode option it would be more accurate for you.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Deadlift, squat, overhead press, and bench press are great indicators of overall strength. I figure if I can join the 1000lb club this year, and perhaps lose 10 lbs to 200lbs- that's as fit as I ever care to be. Frankly, I hope to NOT get too obsessive about fitness. Just hold onto my strength and "hormones" as I work through the next decade (my fifties).
  • sgt1372
    edited January 2018
    BTW & FWIW:

I also have been monitoring my body measurements regularly over the past 20 months but, except for my waist, they haven't changed much (if at all), despite losing 40# and lowering my BF down to 10% (as measured by hydro) and obviously becoming leaner and developing a defined 6 pack and other visible muscularity and vacularity which came w/the loss of BF.

So, while the few pics that I've taken show a remarkable change in what my body looks like, the only measurement which would indicate that change was in my waist which dropped from 40" (where I became afraid to measure it anymore but I'm sure it bumped over 40) and it's now 32.5" and (with vanity sizing) the 32" pants that I recently bought are starting to get loose and I'm planning to drop by a store if I can fit a pair of 30" pants, a size that I haven't worn for over 50 years!

LOL!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    BTW & FWIW:

I also have been monitoring my body measurements regularly over the past 20 months but, except for my waist, they haven't changed much (if at all), despite losing 40# and lowering my BF down to 10% (as measured by hydro) and obviously becoming leaner and developing a defined 6 pack and other visible muscularity and vacularity which came w/the loss of BF.

So, while the few pics that I've taken show a remarkable change in what my body looks like, the only measurement which would indicate that change was in my waist which dropped from 40" (where I became afraid to measure it anymore but I'm sure it bumped over 40) and it's now 32.5" and (with vanity sizing) the 32" pants that I recently bought are starting to get loose and I'm planning to drop by a store if I can fit a pair of 30" pants, a size that I haven't worn for over 50 years!

LOL!

Great job! BTW, don't go looking for 30's in my Walmart lol. I tried and they don't have them but you can find really large sizes!
  • TayteHansen1992
    TayteHansen1992 Posts: 22 Member
    A combination of things: Scale weight, strength progression, BF %.

But your most powerful tool is pictures.

I take a picture every two weeks. In the same shorts, same place, same lighting, first thing in morning before eating.

• sgt1372
    edited January 2018
    But your most powerful tool is pictures.

I disagree.

Pics are useful for providing a visual record of your progress BUT they do not provide any verifiable measurements - weight, BF or size.

As noted above, I take pics but, despite my obvious weight/BF loss, only my waist has actually dropped in size but the pics would give the false impression that my chest and other body parts reduced in size when in fact they hardly changed (if they changed) at all.
  • sgt1372
    edited January 2018
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    BTW & FWIW:

LOL!

Great job! BTW, don't go looking for 30's in my Walmart lol. I tried and they don't have them but you can find really large sizes!

Thanks for the tip! ;)

I stopped by Old Navy and tried on 3 different styles of jeans in size 30.

Couldn't even get my leg into a "slim.!" Must be doing too many SQTs. LOL!

Was able to get into the "athletic" and "loose" styles AND the waist for each fit. However, the cuts for both (even the "loose") were too tight for my taste.

I prefer more room in the butt and the thighs but at least I now know that I can fit a 30.

I'll just shop around to see how different pants styles at different stores fit.

My guess is that stores which serve an "older" market or those that sell work and/or outdoor clothing will provide the kind of fit that like better.

We'll see . . .