Gaining weight

Hello, Danielle from Atlanta, GA. I have always been very slim all my life, I attribute it to genetics and having been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease over 10 years ago(its under control). However, I am turning 30 in June and am embarking on my first ever true weight gain journey. I fluctuate between 118-123, I want to gain between 20-25lbs before my birthday(yikes! I know sounds crazy). I started my journey on Jan 7th, changing the foods I eat and I’m addicted to this app because it really helps me ensure I take in enough calories. I want the weight to stick in all the right places, so I’ve started exercise routines(no cardio) to assist with the weight I gain going to all those places. I also started taking the vitamin supplement Apetamin, I’m on day 3 and I definitely see a spark in my appetite. Anyone else on a weight GAIN journey, I could definitely use some tips and support.

Replies

• bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    dmulkey68 wrote: »
    Hello, Danielle from Atlanta, GA. I have always been very slim all my life, I attribute it to genetics and having been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease over 10 years ago(its under control). However, I am turning 30 in June and am embarking on my first ever true weight gain journey. I fluctuate between 118-123, I want to gain between 20-25lbs before my birthday(yikes! I know sounds crazy). I started my journey on Jan 7th, changing the foods I eat and I’m addicted to this app because it really helps me ensure I take in enough calories. I want the weight to stick in all the right places, so I’ve started exercise routines(no cardio) to assist with the weight I gain going to all those places. I also started taking the vitamin supplement Apetamin, I’m on day 3 and I definitely see a spark in my appetite. Anyone else on a weight GAIN journey, I could definitely use some tips and support.

The second bolded portion will show you it is not genetic.

It is simply that you are not eating enough. You need to consistently be in a calorie surplus to put on weight.
  • dmulkey68
    dmulkey68 Posts: 12 Member
    Crohn’s really fluctuates my appetite, that’s why I decided to give Apetamin a try. I’m not fan of protein shakes (I do drink Boost) or the protein bars to add calories. Do you have any suggestions on tasteful ways to add the calories, I’m still trying to eat cleaner than normal so I don’t gain “sloppy” weight? I don’t like peanut butter unless it’s on my sandwich and I hate chocolate.
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    You need to eat really calorie dense foods then in order to get enough calories. I would always add oils when cooking (like olive oil) and if you like nuts, eat those. Carbs can also add a lot of calories easily.

The only way to not gain 'sloppy' weight is to make sure you are on a good weight lifting routine and eat a minimum of 0.6g of protein per pound of bodyweight. You also need to make sure you only eat slightly more calories than you burn each day (like 200). Otherwise you will gain fat instead of muscle.
  • legs180
    legs180 Posts: 293 Member
    dmulkey68 wrote: »

Omg I feel you, I don't have Crohn's but bad anxiety which prevents me from eating well. I have been SO skinny my whole life, I look like friggin Skeletor and I hate it. I hover somewhere around 110, I have no curves and all bones. I want desperately to gain weight in the 'right' places too, if you want support or a weight gain buddy add me/send me a message! Maybe we could help keep each other on track
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    bcradio1 wrote: »
    You need to eat really calorie dense foods then in order to get enough calories. I would always add oils when cooking (like olive oil) and if you like nuts, eat those. Carbs can also add a lot of calories easily.

The only way to not gain 'sloppy' weight is to make sure you are on a good weight lifting routine and eat a minimum of 0.6g of protein per pound of bodyweight. You also need to make sure you only eat slightly more calories than you burn each day (like 200). Otherwise you will gain fat instead of muscle.

when you gain weight you will gain fat too. you cant just gain muscle and not fat. as for the amount of protein its said to gain weight and muscle it should be 1 gram per lb of bodyweight when weight lifting https://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

as for wanting weight to go to all the right places that IS genetic and anything you gain will go where it wants. you cant spot add or when losing you cant spot reduce. so if you are wanting to gain muscle that you can control where you want it to go. but know that when you gain weight you will gain fat also how much depends on your surplus of calories. There is also nothing wrong with cardio when trying to gain weight. if you like it do it. The thing is with a small surplus it will take longer to gain.so if you dont mind slow weight loss then you are set.
  • dmulkey68
    dmulkey68 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks a lot for everyone’s responses and tips! The last couple days I have increased my calorie intake, taking in a little over 3000 calories. I’m seeing the extra gains. I’ve been working out everyday. Lifting seems to be the genealogy consensus that I need to add that into my workout routines. Please feel free to add me!