Anyone with insanely high metabolism (4500 Cal) what do you eat when bulking?

99JT
99JT Posts: 59 Member
Currently bulking @4000-4250 calories and stopped gaining so i am going to up it to 4500. The problem is I always feel full and get tired and sluggish if I eat a lot in one sitting. I all ready have a 710 calorie mass gainers before bed but its still a struggle to hit 4250 now.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I am going to point you to this thread. It should help answer your statement as it relates to 'high metabolism' and also gives you a list of calorie dense food you can add.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    I would gladly take all your extra calories. I, unfortunately, have no problem eating that many. Unfortunately, I only get 2400 at the moment for my bulk :s
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I would gladly take all your extra calories. I, unfortunately, have no problem eating that many. Unfortunately, I only get 2400 at the moment for my bulk :s

For me I am too short. I need to grow taller too.
  • 99JT
    Really it's no problem to get that much in it's keeping it semi quality and doing every day.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I was bulking at around 4500 - 5K ... or so I thought. I started weighing portions and tightened my logging and found that the number was actually closer to 4K - mostly because I was eyeballing how much milk I was adding to my shakes and since I was drinking so much damned milk it threw everything off a bit more than I would have thought. I was being lazy about measuring oils for cooking and other little habits that added up.

Anyhow, I ate fairly large but normal meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I filled the gaps between those meals with a protein shake for breakfast, one after the workout and one before bed. I would add a mass shake or two on days where I was having problems meeting my goals. I prioritized making sure I hit my protein macro which was about 220-230g of protein and made sure that I had at least 100 - 120g of fat - everything else was carbs. When I finally thought I stalled out at a tightly logged 4.2K I maintained at that level for a month before I finally was willing to call it a true stall. I also decided that I was getting freaking fat at this point and started my cut. Which after 11 months of constantly eating when I didn't want to eat has actually been quite refreshing. ;)

I'd like to add that I didn't require those numbers until I was north of 230# and my stall occurred right around 240.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I hope you like peanut butter! A proper peanut butter sandwich- 1 bread sandwich roll (270 cals) toasted with butter (100 cals), 4 tbsp peanut butter (400 cals) and 2 tbsp jelly (100 cals). That's almost 900 calories in 1 item that is a combo of healthy fat, carbs and protein. Serve that with a glass of whole milk (150 cals) with a scoop of protein powder (120 cals) and that's a solid 1000 cals that isn't a ton of volume.

You have to learn to add things to your plan that are high in calories and not a lot of volume. You'll also need to give your body some time adjust. What's more important to you? Your aesthetic/body goals or the slight discomfort you feel in the moment?

And some other ideas that I relied on when I was gaining.
    higher calorie breads, buns and bagels
    granola instead of cereal
    full fat yogurt
    chips
    oversized cookies (like 500 cals/ cookie)
    fattier meats than chicken and tuna (sausage, meatball, pepperoni)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Maintain at 4k. But I try to target 5k/day. I'm on the seefood diet. See food, eat it. Lot's of liquid cals. Choc milk (i buy gallons), shakes, ice cream, all the good stuff haha. I eat lot's of meats too. With occasional late night fast food thrown in to the mix. Sometimes set a 3am alarm to eat some cereal.
    My appetite is usually not very good so I have to eat whatever sounds good atm. Not the healthiest, but I'm extremely active. distance running, powerlifting, extreme sports. My scans have always been exceptional. Very low HR.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    99JT wrote: »
    Currently bulking @4000-4250 calories and stopped gaining so i am going to up it to 4500. The problem is I always feel full and get tired and sluggish if I eat a lot in one sitting. I all ready have a 710 calorie mass gainers before bed but its still a struggle to hit 4250 now.
    Pizza. It's exclusively what I ate to gain back in my 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Are you doing any cardio activity to achieve such a high metabolism? I would stop unless you're in some sporting activity that you enjoy.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Pizza. It's exclusively what I ate to gain back in my 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is a good one. It's easy to eat a whole pizza!
  • KaduParga
    KaduParga Posts: 26 Member
    I started 10 days ago
    4000 kcal. My weight was 235lb a year ago but I stopped to workout and I lost 25lb.
    Now I am 216lb.
  • 99JT
    Stopped doing cardio a long time ago. I'm on my feet all day at work not really walking that far but allways moving no idea how much that effects calorie burn.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Stopped doing cardio a long time ago. I'm on my feet all day at work not really walking that far but allways moving no idea how much that effects calorie burn.

I think I heard Mike Matthews say the other day that walking alone for one hour burns 300-400 calories.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    fb47 wrote: »

I think I heard Mike Matthews say the other day that walking alone for one hour burns 300-400 calories.

Depends on your weight and how much ground you cover in an hour. A 4 mile pace at 200lbs will be 200x.3x4 or about 240 net calories just for the walking. If you add in BMR then you'll get to into that range, but not just using net for most people.
  • Wheelhouse15
    I was running a bulk for awhile that ran upto 4000 calories. Yeah, eating that much can be a pain but pizza, as suggested above really helps. Some days I would do pizza with ice cream to make the calories. A good thing to do is get a recipie for a high calorie smoothie or shake, don't buy the powders, they suck.
  • Wheelhouse15

You would probably be active from work activities and if you put that in a TDEE calculator that should give you a resonable idea.
  • Wheelhouse15
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Maintain at 4k. But I try to target 5k/day. I'm on the seefood diet. See food, eat it. Lot's of liquid cals. Choc milk (i buy gallons), shakes, ice cream, all the good stuff haha. I eat lot's of meats too. With occasional late night fast food thrown in to the mix. Sometimes set a 3am alarm to eat some cereal.
    My appetite is usually not very good so I have to eat whatever sounds good atm. Not the healthiest, but I'm extremely active. distance running, powerlifting, extreme sports. My scans have always been exceptional. Very low HR.

4-5K for maintenance? That's insane.