TMI: No BM in 2 weeks, help?

Options
13»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    janesmith1 wrote: »
    I am constantly constipated too. So is my husband. And so *was* his father who is gone now. I blame the cancer of the liver that killed him on constipation. He was constipated for weeks. So, although that’s extreme pls do sth about this now. I actually make what I call “poo cookies” using a modified Aussie Bites recipe but no sugar & with flax & chia seeds, oats, coconut oil & small bits of dried fruit. They’re not the greatest tasting but 1 or 2 seems to work on us. I see that you’re doing pro-biotics, pre-biotics, I hope you’re doing kefir, yogurt & filmjolk & any other fermented drinks to help you. The other things that have helped us: tons of vitamin c, prune juice. Be well & take care!

@janesmith1 Would you be kind enough to post your Aussie bites recipe here? :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    witcherkar wrote: »
    I know this is TMI. But i havent had a BM in two weeks. I know its because im dehydrated. Ive taken miralax for 3 days but still nothing. Im going back to the doctor tomorrow. But my question is because Google didnt help,
    How much bm is in my colon from not going in two weeks? When i weighed myself, i should have lost more than i did. I know im logging 99% accurately. Down to the gram. And im purposely over logging.
    So how much bm is possibly in my colon?

Why are you dehydrated?
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Start taking Magnesium. I have IBS sometimes and when I change my diet I get 'clogged up'. Magnesium has helped a LOT. I found out about it from here on the forums awhile ago. Next day Im all good to go haha. Make sure it contains vitamin c so that your body will absorb it :)
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I never replied to anyone, I never got any notifications like usual! I log accurately and then I purposely overlog just in case because I am paranoid. I have an eating disorder that I see a Psychiatrist and Therapist for. I go a while restricting then go from a few days to a few weeks bingeing. I know it's not healthy, but I'm trying really hard to get it under control. It's hard when you're actually fat and some people like to tell me restricting the way I do is a good thing. They don't understand. Im dehydrated because I'm having urinary issues and have been restricting my water as not to have to wear adult diapers until my bladder tests are done and the urologist decides on a course of action.. The longest I've gone without pooping was 1 month. I had no impaction just excruitating pain and bloating. That was a few years ago. That was because i would literally just hold it because i didnt want to have to go in front of people at school. This 2 weeks, yes it hurt. No impaction. Yes im also on a narcotic for chronic pain after ending up in a wheelchair last year. I took a bottle of magnesium citrate and it cleaned me out. Ive upped my water intake to at least 1500-2000 mls. And im really trying hard on my eating... Its not easy though. At all. Eating disorders suck. Please no one bash me for that...
    I did poop though! But ive been chronically constipated since elementary school because i would purposely hold it. Im working on going when i have to. But this time i just never had to. I did finally go with the magnesium citrate. Lost around 10 pounds if anyone wanted to know. Lol

Thanks for the update and background info. There is no shame for seeking treatment for eating disorders.

You have to stop ignoring your body's signals to eliminate. It can get very dangerous the longer you don't go.

When I had my ventral hernia repair, one of my hospital roommates had a surgery because she had five days worth of stool in her and her GI tract ruptured.

She had no symptoms until it ruptured as she was mowing the lawn. She collapsed and had to have emergency surgery to save her life.

So I share this true story to make you and others aware that constipation can become a dangerous problem if it goes on too long.

• witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    I'm sorry I never replied to anyone, I never got any notifications like usual! I log accurately and then I purposely overlog just in case because I am paranoid. I have an eating disorder that I see a Psychiatrist and Therapist for. I go a while restricting then go from a few days to a few weeks bingeing. I know it's not healthy, but I'm trying really hard to get it under control. It's hard when you're actually fat and some people like to tell me restricting the way I do is a good thing. They don't understand. Im dehydrated because I'm having urinary issues and have been restricting my water as not to have to wear adult diapers until my bladder tests are done and the urologist decides on a course of action.. The longest I've gone without pooping was 1 month. I had no impaction just excruitating pain and bloating. That was a few years ago. That was because i would literally just hold it because i didnt want to have to go in front of people at school. This 2 weeks, yes it hurt. No impaction. Yes im also on a narcotic for chronic pain after ending up in a wheelchair last year. I took a bottle of magnesium citrate and it cleaned me out. Ive upped my water intake to at least 1500-2000 mls. And im really trying hard on my eating... Its not easy though. At all. Eating disorders suck. Please no one bash me for that...
    I did poop though! But ive been chronically constipated since elementary school because i would purposely hold it. Im working on going when i have to. But this time i just never had to. I did finally go with the magnesium citrate. Lost around 10 pounds if anyone wanted to know. Lol

Thanks for the update and background info. There is no shame for seeking treatment for eating disorders.

You have to stop ignoring your body's signals to eliminate. It can get very dangerous the longer you don't go.

When I had my ventral hernia repair, one of my hospital roommates had a surgery because she had five days worth of stool in her and her GI tract ruptured.

She had no symptoms until it ruptured as she was mowing the lawn. She collapsed and had to have emergency surgery to save her life.

So I share this true story to make you and others aware that constipation can become a dangerous problem if it goes on too long.

Oh my goodness only after 5 days??? That's scary.. Thank you for that!
  • 1houndgal
    Options

Yep. That was what the surgeon told her.
  • 1houndgal
    Options

Yep. That was what the surgeon told her.

That same surgeon told me when I became constipated from all the pain medication that I was "full of crap", as he showed me my cat scan. Lol
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Chronic constipation can aggravate/cause urinary incontinence issues, as well. I'm sure your doctor is aware of this, and possibly you are too, but wanted to throw it out there just in case.

"There is a close relationship between the muscles and nerves that control bladder functions and those that control bowel movements. In addition, the bladder and the colon are close together in the body. Large amounts of stool in the colon can put pressure on the bladder which can cause the bladder to not fill as much as it should, or cause the bladder to contract when the bladder is not supposed to contract. This large amount of stool can also cause the bladder to not empty well. All of these problems can lead to daytime wetting, nighttime wetting, urinary tract infections, and in some cases vesicoureteral reflux."
    https://urology.ucsf.edu/patient-care/children/constipation
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this. Eating disorders do suck. I wish you luck and hope things work out well.
  • witcherkar
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Chronic constipation can aggravate/cause urinary incontinence issues, as well. I'm sure your doctor is aware of this, and possibly you are too, but wanted to throw it out there just in case.

"There is a close relationship between the muscles and nerves that control bladder functions and those that control bowel movements. In addition, the bladder and the colon are close together in the body. Large amounts of stool in the colon can put pressure on the bladder which can cause the bladder to not fill as much as it should, or cause the bladder to contract when the bladder is not supposed to contract. This large amount of stool can also cause the bladder to not empty well. All of these problems can lead to daytime wetting, nighttime wetting, urinary tract infections, and in some cases vesicoureteral reflux."
    https://urology.ucsf.edu/patient-care/children/constipation

I actually did not know this. And I had urodynamic testing today because im having a lot of urinary issues. Thanks for telling me this!!
  • witcherkar
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Yes im also on a narcotic for chronic pain after ending up in a wheelchair last year...

It's been touched on a couple times already, but one of the known, well-established side effects of opiates/opioids is constipation.

I have very regular and consistent bowel habits, but I was prescribed an opiate for pain after a pretty significant surgery a few years ago and it was like somebody backed me up to a cement mixer and emptied it into me. I got off the opiates as soon as I possibly could.

I tried everything else i could before opting for them. I see a pain managemeng doctor. Ive tried prescription nsaids, ice, heat, stretches, physical therapy, massage therapy sorta. So he gave me a pain patch.
    (I really wanted him to so imaging on my spine go make sure everything is okay. And if it could be fixed with a steroid injection or surgery so i could get off the pain patch, that would be awesome. But he told me there is no point in doing imaging because it wont change anything... Ive only been in so much pain the last year. My body is not used to sitting/laying 24/7 on my weight. I miss standing and walking around.)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

I'm sorry all this happens to you, but a but befuddled why you wouldn't share this to begin with when panicking for help and advice?
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    janesmith1 wrote: »
    I am constantly constipated too. So is my husband. And so *was* his father who is gone now. I blame the cancer of the liver that killed him on constipation. He was constipated for weeks. So, although that’s extreme pls do sth about this now. I actually make what I call “poo cookies” using a modified Aussie Bites recipe but no sugar & with flax & chia seeds, oats, coconut oil & small bits of dried fruit. They’re not the greatest tasting but 1 or 2 seems to work on us. I see that you’re doing pro-biotics, pre-biotics, I hope you’re doing kefir, yogurt & filmjolk & any other fermented drinks to help you. The other things that have helped us: tons of vitamin c, prune juice. Be well & take care!

@janesmith1 Would you be kind enough to post your Aussie bites recipe here? :smile:

Oats
    lots of different dried fruits
    coconut oil
    salted butter
    nuts
    vanilla
    some water to make it moist

Grind up in a food processor, use a small cookie scoop, baked them at 350 degrees F for 15 mins