Can’t stop binge eating! HELP!

I need help, I cannot stop binge eating. I have never been like this before and it’s beginning to scare me. I will start off the day okay, taking note of what i’m eating but by the evening I will begin to lose control and start eating anything I can get my hands on. I have purposely tried to put the unhealthy foods out of sight and place them into difficult to reach places to try and train myself to avoid them and conveniently place healthy foods out for me to grab, but I seem to automatically ignore this and go into the places where I have hidden the foods and go CRAZY! I don’t know if i’m suffering from an eating disorder and if I need to seek help for my manic eating episodes. Has anyone gone through something like this? If so how did you overcome it? It’s been going on for a little over a week now and my weight has levelled off. I think i’ve been eating well over 2,000 calories a day when I have these episodes...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    2000 calories is a normal average number of calories?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Are you currently trying to gain weight?
  • HoneyBeez94
    HoneyBeez94 Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2018
    I’ve been eating well over 2,000 calories a day (possibly 3,000) and I know I need to eat 1,200 calories a day that is recommended, i’m trying to lose weight
  • TavistockToad
    Podgy94 wrote: »
    I’ve been eating well over 2,000 calories a day (possibly 3,000) and I know I need to eat 1,200 calories a day that is recommended, i’m trying to lose weight

What are your stats?
  • HoneyBeez94
    edited January 2018
    I’m trying to lose 7lbs, not comfortable discussing my weight haha :#
  • sardelsa
    edited January 2018

Are you underweight or near underweight ?

Also what are your goals?

How long has the binging been going on? Are you being overly restrictive with your diet? Do you have a history of food issues? 1200 cals may not be enough for you and can lead to overeating. Also if you are lean trying to get leaner, hunger can take over.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member

I'm assuming if you have 7 lbs to lose you are very close to a healthy weight range which means weight loss is going to be slow
  • TavistockToad

7lbs suggests you are normal weight so unless you are very small and very old you probably don't need to eat as little as 1200 cals in the first place.
  • HoneyBeez94
    I just feel like my body is out of whack right now and just can’t stop eating sweet things! I’m not underweight haha just trying to be healthy at the moment but with great difficulty :s hopefully I can get to my goal weight but just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this with dieting before?
  • TavistockToad
    I just feel like my body is out of whack right now and just can’t stop eating sweet things! I’m not underweight haha just trying to be healthy at the moment but with great difficulty :s hopefully I can get to my goal weight but just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this with dieting before?

Are you still 113lbs?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa wrote: »

Are you underweight or near underweight ?

Also what are your goals?

How long has the binging been going on? Are you being overly restrictive with your diet? Do you have a history of food issues? 1200 cals may not be enough for you and can lead to overeating. Also if you are lean trying to get leaner, hunger can take over.

Sorry I added some more questions here, just in case you didn't see them.
  • mrs_kris_campos
    mrs_kris_campos Posts: 53 Member
    Have someone else hide the unhealthy foods or get rid of them completely. Workout when you feel like you are about to binge. Pick up a hobby like sewing or knitting. Keep yourself busy!
  • HoneyBeez94
    Thanks for the advice so far, I will ask my family to help hide them as I know i’ll keep running back to them. I want to lose my extra weight after gaining some over Christmas and it doesn’t look good on me :/ plus the food I eat wreaks havoc with my digestive system as I suffer with IBS and get plagued with spots :s the stomach pain can be unbearable because of it...
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    The same thing happened to me last week. It was when i made the transition from cutting to bulking. I had my first sugary treat(cheesecake) and after that i started craving sugar so bad it opened the floodgates. Was eating about 4000-5000 cal per day for like a week. It was absolutly terrible. On friday i decided enough was enough and i cut all carbs that day and powered through my craving and gradually added back clean carbs over the past couple days. Im finally back on track and my sugar craving has gone down immensely. Im not sure of the science behind it but yeah thats my experience.
  • TayteHansen1992
    TayteHansen1992 Posts: 22 Member
    I’ve been there and have been known to be a binge eater myself. Here’s what helps me.

- Stay 100% on track. For me, even one cheat meal isn’t a good idea. Because that turns into a cheat day or a cheat weekend. “I’ll just have this one cookie. Can very quickly turn into I ate the entire kitchen.” Don’t give in and stay on track. Commit to your healthy food and your healthy eating.

- Once you’re off track it can be hard to get back on track. The downward spiral of binge eating is hard to turn off. Which is why I don’t turn it on, as mentioned above. Likewise, once you are on track you can gain momentum as you will be happier and pleased with progress. Make the commitment to being on track for a week or two and the momentum should take off.

- Keep yourself busy with things that keep your mind preoccupied. Hobbies, work, cleaning, friends, anything. Try to stay away from doing things that tend to lead to thoughts of junk food. For me that’s watching TV.

- Look objectively at yourself and your life. You are likely binging because you are unhappy, frustrated, upset, ectera. Identify the issue and take measures to solve it.

- When you are about to binge ask yourself questions such as: “Is this going to make me feel better and/or happier? Is this worth it? Do I really need to eat this? Is this taking me towards where I want to be? How am I going to feel about this after/later/tomorrow?

It is within your control. Trust me I’ve been there. And if there is anything that I’ve learned its to not get caught up in the downwards spiral. It’s never worth it. That cookie that took you 30 seconds to eat is not worth the set back. If you’re caught in the storm, pull yourself out ASAP. You’ll thank yourself later.
  • emelym1993
    emelym1993 Posts: 4 Member
    Hope I can help! First try finding patterns in the binge eating. When are you most likely to binge? At night, before bed, after a workout, etc. For me I would stick to diet macros alll day and come 7pm, my sweet tooth would take control & Id find myself eating 2 boxes of Cereal!

Heres what I did once I noticed this- I started consuming my Fats around night time and my carbs earlier. I felt fuller quicker but also satisfied my sweet craving. EX. rice cakes with Peanutbutter. Fats help you stay fulll longer!

Intermittent fasting! When your in a deficit with low calories that are spread throughout the day, you tend to leave 2-3 hours in between meals and by the time your ready to eat your starving and typically will eat the first thing in sight!. IF allows you to eat the Same calories in a shorter time. So basically you can set your eating window to whats easiest for you! I start eating around 12pm-8pm (16/8) and workout from 9:30am-11ish AM. In my 8 hr eating window, Im soo full, I no longer think about food!. At first it DOES take some getting used to but your body will adjust. Again just a suggestion its really just changing timing of food but it helps if your always hungry!

Another thing mentioned above is cheatmeals. they affect insulin levels and can cause further cravings and elicit more binge episodes. Unfortunately if you cant have JUST one cookie without eating the entire box like me- it might be best to avoid it all together. It comes down to knowing yourself!

this might be self explanatory and obvious but Water. drink it till you become sick lol literally. Like it will make u full. I drink 2 cups before and after each meal. Add Bcaas, glutamine whatever but lastly its just gonna take lots of willpower!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I need help, I cannot stop binge eating. I have never been like this before and it’s beginning to scare me. I will start off the day okay, taking note of what i’m eating but by the evening I will begin to lose control and start eating anything I can get my hands on. I have purposely tried to put the unhealthy foods out of sight and place them into difficult to reach places to try and train myself to avoid them and conveniently place healthy foods out for me to grab, but I seem to automatically ignore this and go into the places where I have hidden the foods and go CRAZY! I don’t know if i’m suffering from an eating disorder and if I need to seek help for my manic eating episodes. Has anyone gone through something like this? If so how did you overcome it? It’s been going on for a little over a week now and my weight has levelled off. I think i’ve been eating well over 2,000 calories a day when I have these episodes...

actual hunger? appetite? boredom snacking? ..?

Log it- maybe it isn't a lot extra compared to what you should be eating (maybe you were under-eating earlier and it is actual hunger).

If you are sitting in front of the TV or similar while this happens, my bet would be habitual boredom snacking. Find a hobby; also see the below.

Are there particular 'trigger foods' that you tend to want more and more and more of? - don't keep these in multiple servings at home (hidden or otherwise). Exercise the self-control during the 20 minutes in the supermarket so you won't during the hours at home.