February 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Having said that, I do hide the area around my house and work; but am otherwise open. I approve followers, and I don't mind sharing with my few followers who are active. Also, I'm pretty sure the runner I stalk on Strava could outrun me anyway. :p

Well, you (and I) have the distinct advantage of being male. MOST stalkers are men looking for women. Not all, I mean a thief could use it to know if you were home or not, but, that only works if you live alone really.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Having said that, I do hide the area around my house and work; but am otherwise open. I approve followers, and I don't mind sharing with my few followers who are active. Also, I'm pretty sure the runner I stalk on Strava could outrun me anyway. :p

Well, you (and I) have the distinct advantage of being male. MOST stalkers are men looking for women. Not all, I mean a thief could use it to know if you were home or not, but, that only works if you live alone really.

Not even then... mine doesn't post to Strava until I'm done, at which point I'm already home. Unless I post an activity that is out of town and a local person (who already knows where I live) sees it right away and takes advantage. And that is part of why I buy insurance.

I'm probably at much higher risk of an escapee breaking into my house. There is a prison and a juvenile facility in my small town. The juveniles tend to leave very frequently. Usually they are trying to leave town and they go for easy targets (vehicles with keys inside). The kids are never as smart as the adults, who will actually break into an empty house for supplies before going further out of town. In neither case is the perpetrator using Strava anyway, but it is a bigger risk for me.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    rocky2010 wrote: »
    My first time joining a group like this. I'm not really an runner. My goal is to run a 10k in 2018.

Feb goal: 25 miles

exercise.png

Welcome! You have cime acrozzone of the best groyps on Myfitnesspal. There are many amazing rubbers in this group. If you EVER have any questions, ask, they will gladly answer.

Oh, little secret. If you run, you REALLY ARE A RUNNER.

LOL!!! typing with gloves on?

Yes and trying to order dinner at the drive thru.... made some changes....lol
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    rocky2010 wrote: »
    My first time joining a group like this. I'm not really an runner. My goal is to run a 10k in 2018.

Feb goal: 25 miles

exercise.png

Welcome! You have cime acrozzone of the best groyps on Myfitnesspal. There are many amazing rubbers in this group. If you EVER have any questions, ask, they will gladly answer.

Oh, little secret. If you run, you REALLY ARE A RUNNER.

LOL!!! typing with gloves on?

Totally laughing out loud at work! Glad almost everyone else is gone for the day.

Did not run the last week of January because life happened - sick child on Friday, weather on Saturday, my dental bridge broke and I had an emergency dental appointment on Monday. Still haven't made it back out this week. But tomorrow starts February so I will be out in the morning!

Goal for February is 65 miles (it's a short month right?)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

Not even then... mine doesn't post to Strava until I'm done, at which point I'm already home. Unless I post an activity that is out of town and a local person (who already knows where I live) sees it right away and takes advantage. And that is part of why I buy insurance.

I'm probably at much higher risk of an escapee breaking into my house. There is a prison and a juvenile facility in my small town. The juveniles tend to leave very frequently. Usually they are trying to leave town and they go for easy targets (vehicles with keys inside). The kids are never as smart as the adults, who will actually break into an empty house for supplies before going further out of town. In neither case is the perpetrator using Strava anyway, but it is a bigger risk for me.

Good point. Mine does not post till I am home also.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I have a warning for people who use Strava. Please set your profile to "enhanced security". It is also a good idea to not have your actual picture as your profile picture. There is also a setting that allows you to hide your starting location if you are leaving from your house.

I have a friend who joined a local Strava running group. A gentleman in the online group starting "bumping into her" on her regular runs. He then started showing up at her house unannounced. She had to change her entire running routine and dropped Strava as a result. Be careful everyone!

in addition to this, use the Hidden Locations options. You can hide a radius of up to 5/8th of a mile around set postal codes - this means whilst a person can know the city you live in, they won't be able to see where exactly you start and finish your run, and so figure out where you live/work etc. You can do this for multiple addresses.

I figured out how to set it to Enhanced Security but where is the Hidden Locations option?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    Welcome to everyone joining this group for the first time! Very supportive and encouraging bunch of people! My goal for February is 110 miles (same as last month). Thought about increasing it but since February only has 28 days, I will wait until March and better weather!
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Feb goal: 140 mi

Other major goal: get my hamstring tweak and other lingering injuries under control before the 50K!

Upcoming races:
    Bound the Mound Half Marathon Feb 24
    OPSF 50/50 50K Mar 24

2018 Spring Plan:
    Spring Fling 10K Mar 3
    DINO Eagle Creek 15K Apr 7
    April 28 Glacial Esker 20 mi Apr 28
    DINO Muscatuck 15K May 5
    DWD Gnawbone Marathon May 19
    DINO Brown County 15K Jun 2
    8 h @ Brown County Jun 16-17
    DINO Griffin Park 15K Jun 23