February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I use bounty paper towels instead of tissues when I run - they don't fall apart, and are plenty absorbent. If I have long sleeves I fold it and tuck it in my sleeve so I can rub my nose on it.

I know a lady that uses paper towels too. She sweats profusely and is always wipeing her face off. I never sweat enough to wipe it off. Unless it's about to rain and over 85f, then I might sweat a few drops.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    bride001 wrote: »
    Has any heard from @JessicaMcB how she did on the ultra on Saturday?
    I've also been wondering about her race.

Its today. It started like half an hour ago if I remember the start time correctly.

Oh wow. Its 100 miles right?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I use bounty paper towels instead of tissues when I run - they don't fall apart, and are plenty absorbent. If I have long sleeves I fold it and tuck it in my sleeve so I can rub my nose on it.

This is what I use as well. Using the nose spray Flonase once a day has also helped me a little.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    5 miles last night. Slight ITB pain, but not enough to slow me down. 28°F so the days snow melt was starting to freeze back up and I nearly fell a couple of times but remained upright. I wanted to go 8, and I think I could have as far my ITB was concerned, but I had too much to do at home. I didn't even have time to do my glute exercises, so I'll give that priority tonight.

Starting to look at the weather for my 20M race Saturday in KC. The temps look to be perfect, about 35F at the start, warming to 44F when I expect to finish. Unfortunately they expect over an inch of rain between now and race time, and a good chance for showers during the race. Normally I'd love that but I expect it will only aggravate my ITB that much more. A lot can change in the forecast between now and then so I'll keep watching.

53 miles for the month. No way I'm hitting my goal. I'm just going to stop having a mileage goal until this ITB quits acting up.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Thanks. I went back to the beginning of the thread and found that it was today, not Saturday. Then I had to go to a meeting and just returned.

I hope she is doing well at the race.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Its today. It started like half an hour ago if I remember the start time correctly.

short race, elite qualifier 50k

Cool. This is her first race with her new sponsor right?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Of course, it is thunder storming today... I know some of you love running in horrible weather, but I am not you. :tongue: Maybe it will break up and I can still get a medium distance run in.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

yup. it was like -30c with some anlke deep snow for the race. Good conditions
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Just a quick, easy 50k. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Just a quick, easy 50k. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah, I mean, that take her, what? 15 minutes? :lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    February goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

2/1- REST
    2/2- 5.5
    2/3- 16.6
    2/4- 4.2
    2/5- REST
    2/6- 9.1
    2/7- 6.7
    2/8- REST
    2/9- 5.5
    2/10-10
    2/11- 9.8
    2/12- RESR
    2/13- 6.8
    2/14- 6.8
    2/15- REST
    2/16- 5.8
    2/17- 13.4
    2/18- 9

Total: 109.3

Today's notes: Rest day today. After my weekend, I need it. Saturday was a quick 3 hour on the SHT with, unfortunately like 4-5 miles on road. Following that was a trip to the Great Lakes Aquarium and then play time with little man for the rest of the day.

Yesterday was 9 on the SHT with the same road mileage, since I had to run from the hotel to the trailhead. After yesterday's run I got to drive home through a snow storm... normally a 1h15m drive took closer to 1h30m.... Tired today after shoveling 4 times to keep the driveway clear.

In other news, I added an October race. That will be a chill event as I talked my buddy into doing it and it will be his first experience with that kind of thing, so it will just be a fun run.

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
    10/20- Wild Duluth 50k
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Ugh. What is qualifying based on? Hope that does not impact her chances.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    A little trick to the snot rocket/farmer's blow. Before your big exhale through your nostril, take a moment to inhale enough to completely plug it up. That makes the forceful exhale more effective. I follow that up with cleanup with my sleeve. Except for tights, my running clothes get washed after every run, so using a sleeve isn't a big deal.

Strangely, I'm better with my left nostril than my right. I could hit targets with my left but with my right, there's no telling where it will go and sometimes it's on my shoulder.

It also helps if your good and warmed up. A cold blow is just messy.

Good catch on the Strava request. Just a reminder, if anyone wants to join us please post here that you've requested to join. It's just a way keep it honest and to minimize potential unwanted followers following you around.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's based on time. The snow could be an issue but she has no problem with the temperature.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I'm pretty sure it's based on time. The snow could be an issue but she has no problem with the temperature.

She has run in deeper and colder, so if anyone is ready for it, it is her.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Is there a live results page? I could not find much of anything about the race...