Easy "Protein" Bagels :)

rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
So i stumbled across this recipe and thought, eh, why not try it out I already have everything in my pantry.
https://www.skinnytaste.com/easy-bagel-recipe/

I just ate two of them... this is officially on my "to make weekly" list. :smiley: You probably already have these ingredients, so go forth, and bagel on!
hy2ziev8xzbp.jpg

Replies

• rainbowbow
    Oh, and the smaller ones are cinnamon/sugar (i used a no calorie sweetener/cinnamon mix) and the larger ones are cheddar/jalepeno.

Each bagel has roughly 150 calories and 11g of protein. :)
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    I make these multiple times during the week! LOVE THEM!!! They are smaller than a regular bagel, but very satisfying. (approx 99grams pre-bake)
  • rainbowbow
    crazyravr wrote: »
    How small are these by size and weight? Worth the trouble over a real bagel?

i didn't weigh them, but they are the size of a normal bagel you'd buy in a bag at the grocery store.

They are absolutely, 100% worth it in my opinion. It takes like 15 minutes prep time (mixing 5 ingredients together) and 25 minutes in the oven.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    tempted to try these, thanks for sharing!
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Ooh, thanks! The “protein” in your title made me almost not click on this because recipes with “protein” in them usually involve protein powder and I don’t buy protein powder. These look really good!
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Nice! I have been craving making bagels lately. I almost made some yesterday, but spent the whole day making muffins instead. I'll make them next weekend! :D
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    How small are these by size and weight? Worth the trouble over a real bagel?

i didn't weigh them, but they are the size of a normal bagel you'd buy in a bag at the grocery store.

They are absolutely, 100% worth it in my opinion. It takes like 15 minutes prep time (mixing 5 ingredients together) and 25 minutes in the oven.

Gonna make them tonight or sometime this week. Will report back. If not worth it, you owe me 40 minutes of my life hahaha :)

Well, don't kill me if they're bad. LOL
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    amandaeve wrote: »
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Nice! I have been craving making bagels lately. I almost made some yesterday, but spent the whole day making muffins instead. I'll make them next weekend! :D

Well dont just brag about it. Show and tell haha :)

You asked for it! I made 7 batches of Sweet Potato Banana Bites as advertised in the mfp blog. They are my go-to activity snack. I have a big ski trip coming up, so I made enough to share. Each batch is a little different, they all have some combo of chia seeds, craisins, coconut, chocolate chips, etc.

https://www.theleangreenbean.com/sweet-potato-banana-bites/

I brought some in to snack on at work today, pic below:
    o0nz33k7f9l6.jpg

Those look delicious!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Asking the important question: did you boil them first?

And how many of you who have made them live in the North East?
  • JoRocka
    Just kidding- says no boiling. I'm instantly skeptical. But also says her picky NYC bagel husband likes them.

I am torn- but willing to try.
  • rainbowbow
    I mean, have the expectation that they are a “high protein knock off”. For that, their ease, and the time to make them they are worth it.

But definitely don’t think they’re going to taste like your favorite bakery’s bagels. They will not.

That being said, they are pretty damn good and the variety for flavors is pretty much endless. I’m going to be making them again today or tomorrow and plan on making chocolate chip and the cheddar/jalapeños again. :)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Asking the important question: did you boil them first?

And how many of you who have made them live in the North East?

I'm a native NYer and these were surprisingly tasty for something so easy to throw together. I mean, they're never going to be a traditional NY bagel, but they were very good.
  • JoRocka
    I can accept that- I have printed the recipe. I shall try this weekend I think.

I have officially become a north eastern- I am absolutely 100% a bagel snob.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Making this in a bit, will report back!
  • dsboohead
    These are fabulous and sooooooo easy! I made an egg and avocado sandwich with mine! Truly are delicious! Filling too!
  • rainbowbow
    I'm so glad other people have tried and liked them. :smiley:
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Made these the other day, and they’re great. So easy to make!
  • dsboohead
    Made them. And liked them but yeap they are not bagels. I got 4 proper size bagels from this mix. Used everything seasoning. Had one for breakfast. Will I make them again? Maybe.... Because they are easy to make and taste good. But I prefer the low carb bagels I buy at my local shop. Promise bagels come in at 130cal for proper size bagels. The only thing is the price at $1/each.

I am all about something tasting decent but I am cheap if nothing else....$1 each!?
    I am gonna make a cheese and jalapeno next! Love these protein bagels...they have the ability to keep me full over a no protein bagel!