Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    CICO is important definitely but i think it shouldn't be a priority we want to LOSE FAT not just WEIGHT because weight includes those wonderful muscles you work so hard to build (and other stuff) . Also the human body is very intelligent if you eat low calorie for a long time like i did in the past you might come to find that your body adjust to your low calorie lifestyle and you lose weight but you look unhealthy . If you want to make your body let go of fat you have to be healthy , being malnourished is not healthy or pleasant. So please promote fat loss not weight loss .

Im not trying to rain on anyones parade but i just think that we should focus on health and nutrition more than obsessing over CICO. Have a nice day :)

I get the gist of your post I think, but if one is very overweight or obese losing weight will likely improve health even if muscle is lost along the way and even if the diet is not balanced.

You do not have to be healthy for your body to let go of fat. Unhealthy people lose weight and fat too.

I do agree that eating a well balanced diet and staying fit is the best idea.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    heytimsla wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    CICO is important definitely but i think it shouldn't be a priority we want to LOSE FAT not just WEIGHT because weight includes those wonderful muscles you work so hard to build (and other stuff) . Also the human body is very intelligent if you eat low calorie for a long time like i did in the past you might come to find that your body adjust to your low calorie lifestyle and you lose weight but you look unhealthy . If you want to make your body let go of fat you have to be healthy , being malnourished is not healthy or pleasant. So please promote fat loss not weight loss .

Im not trying to rain on anyones parade but i just think that we should focus on health and nutrition more than obsessing over CICO. Have a nice day :)

to LOSE FAT you need a calorie deficit... so CICO has to be followed...

you can eat a nutritious diet and still be fat...

*raises hand* I ate a nutritious diet and was fat... Now I eat a (mostly) nutritious diet within my calories limits and I'm losing weight. My blood work has never been better. Divorce from my liver is off the table. Blood glucose is firmly where it's supposed to be.

All thanks to following that totally overrated concept of CICO.

Pssst: I even eat chocolate every day and pizza on a weekly basis because I know it's not the what but the how much that matters for weight loss.

GET THAT LOGIC OUT OF HERE! I CAME HERE FOR FAD DIETS AND A GENERAL MISUNDERSTANDING OF NUTRITION. I CAME HERE TO BE KETO-VEGAN-PALEO ONLY EAT IN A 17 MINUTE WINDOW - AND ONLY EAT CARBS WHEN MOON IS FULL.

ALSO I NEVER WANT TO STRENGTH TRAIN BECAUSE ITS BAD FOR MY KNEES. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH UNHEALTHY BODYWEIGHT

ANYONE WANNA BUY SIME HERBALIFE ?

I hope we all read that as a yelll. I typed it as a yell.

I'm WEAK
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

Calories in, calories out is how a person loses weight, gains weight or maintains weight. It is how weight management works.
    A person can approach weight loss in a healthy manner- fairly nutritious diet, moderate activity, slower rate or loss- or a less healthy way- fad diets, extreme exercise, vlcd. Either way you will only lose fat because you have a calorie deficit. People are not advocating unhealthy weight loss here.

I think some of what you are talking about is really down to goals. There are people who don't give a flying fig about health. They want to lose weight to be a smaller clothing size by their vacation in 2 weeks. They want to be a particular number on the scale. They are attracted to doing extreme things often.

You made a statement that the body is intelligent and will adjust to a low calorie diet and look unhealthy. What do you mean? Obviously is you are malnourished it will show up in how your body looks and functions. It is not intelligence from your body.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I must be going nuts.... I could have sworn that 99.9999999% of posts I've seen regarding calories for weight loss also mentioned the importance of eating a nutritious diet for good health... As well as recommending slower rates of loss, adequate protein and resistance training to help maintain muscle...

This.

OP sounds like yet another person who doesn't understand what CICO is and makes weird assumptions about it.

Yes, obviously not a good idea to diet irresponsibly, as is said over and over on this site. That doesn't mean CICO is "overrated," it means that there are other things to keep in mind too. That it is important to keep gas in my car if I want it to go doesn't mean that following traffic laws is overrated.

Everyone who "eats clean" seems to think that CIOC, IIFYM, and free eating/calorie counting are just other terms for eating Twinkies and donuts all day. No matter how much we tell them the nutrition is separate from the calories and that, yes, eat your vegetables, they still hear "eat garbage and lose weight".

OP is taking it even a step further -- if someone does CICO, they will cut calories irresponsibly low and lose muscle. So CICO means you will try to get as close to eating nothing as possible? Weird.

I think op is projecting. Just because she did it means of course EVERYONE is.

This is what bugs me about these posts. The posters who misinterpreted what CICO means and/or made poor personal choices about how to apply the principles now want to school the rest of us abou how we should be giving advice. Similar to the thread last week where a poster filled their day with “diet” foods, weren’t satiated, then wanted to educate everyone about how CICO isn’t complete advice. Which no one, no one ever says that CICO is the whole story for weight loss, health, fitness and satiety.

Can people really not understand that? Is there no critical thinking applied at all? No further reading - just take the one line “CICO is all that matters for weight loss” at face value and that’s it?

Funny story:
    When I first started counting calories, the first few days I was really hungry because I ran out of calories early in the day.
    What did I do? I went to the store and bought foods that were lower calorie per volume and more filling.
    No one had to tell me that it was important to choose foods that left me satisfied.

I figured it out myself because I’m a sentient adult.

Carlos_421, this was my experience as well. I'm baffled when fellow commenters don't have this experience.

Agreed. It's just seems like basic common sense.