Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I must be going nuts.... I could have sworn that 99.9999999% of posts I've seen regarding calories for weight loss also mentioned the importance of eating a nutritious diet for good health... As well as recommending slower rates of loss, adequate protein and resistance training to help maintain muscle...

This.

OP sounds like yet another person who doesn't understand what CICO is and makes weird assumptions about it.

Yes, obviously not a good idea to diet irresponsibly, as is said over and over on this site. That doesn't mean CICO is "overrated," it means that there are other things to keep in mind too. That it is important to keep gas in my car if I want it to go doesn't mean that following traffic laws is overrated.

Everyone who "eats clean" seems to think that CIOC, IIFYM, and free eating/calorie counting are just other terms for eating Twinkies and donuts all day. No matter how much we tell them the nutrition is separate from the calories and that, yes, eat your vegetables, they still hear "eat garbage and lose weight".

OP is taking it even a step further -- if someone does CICO, they will cut calories irresponsibly low and lose muscle. So CICO means you will try to get as close to eating nothing as possible? Weird.

I think op is projecting. Just because she did it means of course EVERYONE is.

This is what bugs me about these posts. The posters who misinterpreted what CICO means and/or made poor personal choices about how to apply the principles now want to school the rest of us abou how we should be giving advice. Similar to the thread last week where a poster filled their day with “diet” foods, weren’t satiated, then wanted to educate everyone about how CICO isn’t complete advice. Which no one, no one ever says that CICO is the whole story for weight loss, health, fitness and satiety.

Can people really not understand that? Is there no critical thinking applied at all? No further reading - just take the one line “CICO is all that matters for weight loss” at face value and that’s it?

Funny story:
    When I first started counting calories, the first few days I was really hungry because I ran out of calories early in the day.
    What did I do? I went to the store and bought foods that were lower calorie per volume and more filling.
    No one had to tell me that it was important to choose foods that left me satisfied.

I figured it out myself because I’m a sentient adult.

Carlos_421, this was my experience as well. I'm baffled when fellow commenters don't have this experience.

it's why I don't eat oatmeal- people are like "sticks to the ribs makes you full bla bla bla"

oatmeal = insta hungry.

which is why SURPRISE! I don't eat it anymore.

people like to make this harder than it needs to be I think.

And it keeps me full for hours, which is why everyone needs to experiment for themselves.

Yeah, just upping the protein in a couple of my snacks (fewer pop chips, more string cheese, approximately same calories/recommended serving) went a long way toward curbing my hunger.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    RivenV wrote: »
    Woah its gonna take me a long time to read all these comments :D

tumblr_m3gzkhzvm21r4xouyo1_500.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5281400

I read this whole thread in a 15 minute train ride. I guess I wasn't actually trying to respond to it though.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    RivenV wrote: »
    Woah its gonna take me a long time to read all these comments :D

tumblr_m3gzkhzvm21r4xouyo1_500.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5281400

I read this whole thread in a 15 minute train ride. I guess I wasn't actually trying to respond to it though.

So much sass! I love it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I feel kind of silly having attempted a serious response assuming a debate was being sought. I guess hope springs eternal and all.

Oatmeal keeps me full. Pasta too. But then I am descended from unicorns, so...

I'm waiting for an answer to my question before I dive into a serious answer, but hopefully some of the earnest responses will help others. Who knows. :drinker:

I've been adding a serving of rice or potatoes to my meals lately and I'm seeing a big difference in my satiety. Always interesting to play around with different things and see what happens.

I feel like the weirdest person with this. I find potatoes to be really filling, but I need to have them with protein and some fat.

It's pretty much the same for every meal. It's got to be starch, protein, fat, fiber.

Sames. I need the starch or I go mooching for more. There is also a psychological aspect to it too and that can't be ignored.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    I feel kind of silly having attempted a serious response assuming a debate was being sought. I guess hope springs eternal and all.

I'm waiting for an answer to my question before I dive into a serious answer, but hopefully some of the earnest responses will help others. Who knows. :drinker:

I've been adding a serving of rice or potatoes to my meals lately and I'm seeing a big difference in my satiety. Always interesting to play around with different things and see what happens.

I feel like the weirdest person with this. I find potatoes to be really filling, but I need to have them with protein and some fat.

It's pretty much the same for every meal. It's got to be starch, protein, fat, fiber.

Potatoes are generally considered a high satiation food. There are people who are not satiated by them, but most people are.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Potatoes are generally considered a high satiation food. There are people who are not satiated by them, but most people are.

I remember reading the study on that.

For me, though, I need the mix of that starch (and the fiber it comes with) plus protein and fat.

Rice is starchy, right? But I don't find it filling. However, if I have it with vegetables cooked in oil and some protein, I find it filling. Because the veggies bring the fiber and I've added fat and protein.

I have to have every meal this way. The thing is that I really only eat two main meals a day plus yogurt with fruit and nuts (and even that's mixing carbs, protein and fat!) for dessert, so it's not that big a deal.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I always eat oatmeal but on a whim I added some butter and was full until lunch. Fat is where it's at. LOL

I don't know why I never thought to do this. I generally go for sweet porridge/oatmeal with cinnamon and dried fruit being one of my go tos, a dab of butter might make it next level. I do enjoy coconut milk, or reduced fat coconut milk for calories, in my summer overnight oats (with mango and pineapple, do recommend) and that keeps me full for a goodly amount of time. God I miss summer.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member

I remember reading the study on that.

For me, though, I need the mix of that starch (and the fiber it comes with) plus protein and fat.

Rice is starchy, right? But I don't find it filling. However, if I have it with vegetables cooked in oil and some protein, I find it filling. Because the veggies bring the fiber and I've added fat and protein.

I have to have every meal this way. The thing is that I really only eat two main meals a day plus yogurt with fruit and nuts (and even that's mixing carbs, protein and fat!) for dessert, so it's not that big a deal.

One of the things that satiate me is a baked potato with the skin. It does so far more than one without skin. It might be the fiber, I don't know. Add a protein like some roast beef, and the effect is doubled.