Weight lifting beginner.

2»

Replies

• loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Use the personal training!
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member

Agree to disagree on a lot of that I guess.
    Well it's your comment I ripped up, so I imagine you would disagree.
    And yeah, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a modest effort when it comes to building muscle just ain’t gonna cut it. You might get a bit off progress off the bat, but it’s gonna stop real quick. If you’re really really lucky you might be gifted genetically in which case a half *kitten* routine and effort can get you somewhere fairly substantial. But if you’re like most of us you’re gonna have to put in the effort. And the effort should be 100%.
    Also realize and understand that being a woman makes it quite hard to build muscle mass. You are going to need to train 110% for decent results. Don’t worry about the common misconception that hitting the weights hard will turn you into a man, because it won’t. That’s how you get the sought after “toned” or “I want a nice butt” that you hear so many women say.

Make up your mind. Giving full effort and giving 110% aren't the same thing.
    No pain, no gain. Take note at your gym of the men and women who have muscle. Watch how most of them train. They are likely pushing themselves to their limits because that is what it takes to build muscle.

Also and I forgot to address this before. Unless you're stacking their gear, it doesn't matter whether or not you train like they train... And Further, Intermediate/advanced programs are almost NEVER appropriate for a beginner.

HTH
    HAND

110% or 100%. Same difference, same concept. The point is the same. Give it your all if you want to get anywhere substantial.

Agreed, gear is usually the difference between those that are good and those that are the best. By why even bring gear into this? Most Women take no gear whatsoever and they have AMAZING physiques. Likely a physique that the OP would be more than happy with. And that just comes from commitment, time and effort.

Maybe my take on life is just different than yours but with anything you get out what you put in. May as well give it 100%!

Does 100% / 110% mean training to failure every session?
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member

Does 100% / 110% mean training to failure every session?[/quote]

Not sure what the other posters mean by that but personally I never train to failure, meaning, I never miss a rep. It may be different for physique, but for strength training, it sets you back to go to absolute failure and it can take weeks to fully recover. The only time I miss a rep is if I miss an attempt in competition.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    edited February 2018
    Does 100% / 110% mean training to failure every session?

Not sure what the other posters mean by that but personally I never train to failure, meaning, I never miss a rep. It may be different for physique, but for strength training, it sets you back to go to absolute failure and it can take weeks to fully recover. The only time I miss a rep is if I miss an attempt in competition.

I agree with you, which is why I was curious as to what this guy meant when he said you need to give 110% every session.
  • That my friend is a misunderstand of your maximum recoverable volume.