2018 Lent Challenge

Replies

• RoushelleP
    RoushelleP Posts: 8 Member
    Failed with the rice, had a little yesterday. Excelled with my water intake though and I finished a book last night. Better luck today with the rice.

Are we supposed to do daily/weekly updates?
  • MaelynMayhem
    MaelynMayhem Posts: 611 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Just as a note of possible interest, if you are going until Easter it's not 40 days, but 46. 40 is without Sundays. If you take Sundays off, it's 40, which is why the Catholic calendar is what it is (Sundays aren't fasting days even though most who do a Lenten discipline will do it on Sundays -- not all, this is a debated topic IME.) If it's just a 40 day challenge you decided to do to start when Lent does, I guess it makes no difference.

Good point. I completely flaked on this detail, and it is an important one. To me it's up to the individual person. To do it for the full Lent season, or to do simply a forty day challenge as I recognize some are here because it relates to their spiritual path and others are not. So, it's up to each person; full season or just forty days.
  • MaelynMayhem
    RoushelleP wrote: »
    Failed with the rice, had a little yesterday. Excelled with my water intake though and I finished a book last night. Better luck today with the rice.

Are we supposed to do daily/weekly updates?

Daily preferred, but if that's too intense you can do weekly.
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,812 Member
    3/46 successful days

Out with friends but didn't have desert and then resisted homemade cookies.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Feb 16:

Fast? Yes
    Devotions? Yes
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    3/46 done (why not go all through Easter?)
    And the weekend is here, hopefully going through two clean days.
  • dodieneatfreakwannabe
    dodieneatfreakwannabe Posts: 1,225 Member
    As a protestant Christian, we always had Lent. I think that it is mostly those from a Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran, and Presbyterian background who do this. We were Methodist. My son is Catholic, and there's little difference in the lent observations from our perspective. So on this Lent, I'm working on myself. I have fallen out of my routines, including my exercise routines, and I have become increasingly self absorbed and despondent. I'm a stroke survivor and this time of the year (Valentine's Day, et al) has been really hard. I don't drink, but I sure need balance.

1. Read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
    2. Write at least 10 notes or letters and mail them
    3. Revamp my vision board
    4. Take my vitamins daily
    5. Do a Darabee workout 3 times a week
    6. Go back to and follow my written routines
    7. Do my stroke exercises
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    3/40 completed and successful!
  • rockymir
    4/46 done, a bit low on water but I'm catching up before bed.
  • krea4
    4/46 successful days

• cjv73
    Feb 17:
    Fasting: n/a
    Devotions: yes
  • carlsoda
    Day 4 completed and succeeded! Have a blessed Sunday!!
  • rockymir
    Day 5/46 done! It's probably the first time in my life I drink a decent amount of water on a weekend.
  • ladysnickerdoo
    ladysnickerdoo Posts: 61 Member
    I will join your challenge. As a Catholic I always give something up for Lent. This year I have given up the snooze alarm. I am a horrible snoozer. I can hit the button for an extra hour sometimes before I get out of bed. I plan to use the extra time in the morning for exercise. So far so good.
  • MaelynMayhem
    I will join your challenge. As a Catholic I always give something up for Lent. This year I have given up the snooze alarm. I am a horrible snoozer. I can hit the button for an extra hour sometimes before I get out of bed. I plan to use the extra time in the morning for exercise. So far so good.

I'm also bad about getting up and going back to sleep over and over again. The bed is comfy and the world is so cold (where I live) :smiley:

You're doing really good and putting the time to good use as well
  • krea4
    5/46 successful days

• cjv73
    edited February 2018
    Feb. 18

Fasting: n/a
    Devotions: yes

5/44
  • carlsoda
    Day 5 was good!!!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    This year I gave up Facebook, and I also am refocusing on my hunger cues. I only eat when I feel hungry, and I eat mindfully. I'm a non-denominational Christian, and our pastor told us that when we are feeling our "craving" or missing what we sacrificed, to take a beat and lift up someone in prayer. It's a nice way to take your focus off what you gave up and benefits someone else as well. I'm a pretty spiritual person, but I am also incredibly busy, so I don't pray as often as I should. My hunger cues and my mind wandering to Facebook remind me to take a pause and think of others. Day 6/46 and going strong.
  • rockymir
    Day 6/46 not so good, gave in to stress eating. Grrr...how do you forgive the naysayers? Especially if they are close, if they are the people who should be supportive and excited, and proud, of what you do. But they are not.