Keto for gaining!

2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited February 2018
    khenry0207 wrote: »
    So do you suggest that I use keto to shred and get body fat percentage lower. Then change my eating style for the gains?

Keto doesn't get you shredded. If you like keto as a way of eating, do keto. Understand that there will be workout performance drawbacks that will work against your muscle building goals.

Alternately, you can just get adequate proteins and fats, fill in the rest with carbs and lift weights on a progressive program. That will get you to your goal of muscle building more efficiently. Keto is no magic pill and has drawback based on your stated goals. This was stated above by multiple people.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    khenry0207 wrote: »
    So do you suggest that I use keto to shred and get body fat percentage lower. Then change my eating style for the gains?

Keto diet is no magic, you will get the same results if you eat with carbs....keto is only useful if:
    1) You need to lose weight asap for a photoshoot or for whatever reason. Although with keto you will lose weight faster initially than a traditional diet, but that is because of water weight...not fat loss...at long term, it's on par with any other diet out there, it is not better or worse.
    2) You have health issues and your doctor ordered you to stay away from carbs because of those medical issues.
    3) You just enjoy high fat diet
    4) You lack discipline and getting rid of carbs entirely is the only way for you to stick with the diet

Beyond it, to lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit. Just because you are on keto, it doesn't mean calories no longer count, they still do. As I said previously, for weight loss...whether your doing keto, Intermittent fasting or whatever diet out there, calorie for calorie, they are all equal. With that said, if you do lift and/or do cardio, keto is the weakest diet for physical activities. There's a reason why most athletes eat a *kitten* ton of carbs. Carbs may not be necessary for survival, but it gives you fuel to your working activities and helps you thrive in them. Going without carbs while working out is not doing you any favors.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Ketosis is best for killing fat off your frame. Even though you will get 99% your protein, and you will be more energized than usual, this diet is bad for the liver because the liver has to process everything that goes into your system and because it is lacking carbohydrates, your liver will start processing a LOT more fat, creating ketone as a byproduct (which by they way is how you measure if you are in Ketosis). Usually, the fat associated with this is bad fat (because even though you will be sticking to extra-lean ground beef and pork chops, fat is your main source of energy when substituting carbohydrates). Consider this diet when you have built the mass that you want, but don't let it hinder you. You can use this diet even for endurance training, like long bike rides spanning 200kms in 12 hours (which I have done as an example, feel free to ask for details).

Here's how to get into Ketosis faster, because I won't discourage you from it for building at all:
    1. Stay away from carbohydrates for the first week and buy ketone sticks to measure ketosis progress.
    2. At the end of the first week, you will most likely be in the brownest part of the stick (you measure by peeing in a cup and dipping the stick).
    3. Make sure you are INTENSELY exercising in the first week, which means going 80%+ maximum effort or heart rate in cardiovascular and strength training, because this will purge carbs. The higher the effort the more carbohydrates that are purged which is key to getting into Ketosis.
    4. Do not cut off the fat of your meat. Pork Chops are exceptionally great when it comes to Ketosis, because of their high protein and high fat. Also, stick to smaller, portioned meals, because hunger in Ketosis is crazy. Do not use sauces, check your salt for carbohydrates (I know it sounds stupid) but ALWAYS CHECK YOUR FOOD FOR SUGAR OR CARBOHYDRATES.
    5. Only stay on it for a month or two. You will eventually pee out a pound of fat a day, but there will be a stalling point (after about 20-30lbs if you're overweight, or 5-10lbs if you're already at around 15% body fat).
    6. Consult a dietitian. They will be your best friend.

Remember, no single diet is a good diet. A little bit of everything is the way to go, don't stick to one "wide-accepted" *kitten* because no single diet will suffice. Most importantly, listen to your body.

You will pee out the fat?? How does one pee out the fat, does it become waste and filted out by the kidneys??

it's like adipose from Dr Who
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Ketosis is best for killing fat off your frame. Even though you will get 99% your protein, and you will be more energized than usual, this diet is bad for the liver because the liver has to process everything that goes into your system and because it is lacking carbohydrates, your liver will start processing a LOT more fat, creating ketone as a byproduct (which by they way is how you measure if you are in Ketosis). Usually, the fat associated with this is bad fat (because even though you will be sticking to extra-lean ground beef and pork chops, fat is your main source of energy when substituting carbohydrates). Consider this diet when you have built the mass that you want, but don't let it hinder you. You can use this diet even for endurance training, like long bike rides spanning 200kms in 12 hours (which I have done as an example, feel free to ask for details).

Here's how to get into Ketosis faster, because I won't discourage you from it for building at all:
    1. Stay away from carbohydrates for the first week and buy ketone sticks to measure ketosis progress.
    2. At the end of the first week, you will most likely be in the brownest part of the stick (you measure by peeing in a cup and dipping the stick).
    3. Make sure you are INTENSELY exercising in the first week, which means going 80%+ maximum effort or heart rate in cardiovascular and strength training, because this will purge carbs. The higher the effort the more carbohydrates that are purged which is key to getting into Ketosis.
    4. Do not cut off the fat of your meat. Pork Chops are exceptionally great when it comes to Ketosis, because of their high protein and high fat. Also, stick to smaller, portioned meals, because hunger in Ketosis is crazy. Do not use sauces, check your salt for carbohydrates (I know it sounds stupid) but ALWAYS CHECK YOUR FOOD FOR SUGAR OR CARBOHYDRATES.
    5. Only stay on it for a month or two. You will eventually pee out a pound of fat a day, but there will be a stalling point (after about 20-30lbs if you're overweight, or 5-10lbs if you're already at around 15% body fat).
    6. Consult a dietitian. They will be your best friend.

Remember, no single diet is a good diet. A little bit of everything is the way to go, don't stick to one "wide-accepted" *kitten* because no single diet will suffice. Most importantly, listen to your body.

You will pee out the fat?? How does one pee out the fat, does it become waste and filted out by the kidneys??

When fat is broken down due to a calorie deficit, it is expelled from the body as water, which you pee out or sweat out, etc. and carbon dioxide, which you breath out.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    edited February 2018
    High fat and caloric surplus is a bad idea

Keto is good for cuts because the fats keep you full and you won't crave foods. I can't see the benefit when bulking