Do you work out when on vacation ?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I don't. I am active with walking and other activities. I may do some glute activation before heading to the beach to plump things up, but that is the extent of it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My last vacation I went walking on a trail. It was a planned part of the trip.
    I think I would try to do some activity as I don't feel as good sitting all day. I don't know if I would visit a gym but at least walk around.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I usually do something, whether its a nice bike ride in the morning before breakfast, a swim in the ocean in the morning, or a run on the beach in the morning I get something in. I don't count calories but I usually have a good feel for how much I'm eating in a day. I don't try to maintain totally but make sure I'm active.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Last vacation I ran before my wife got up. Probably the same this summer. But we also walk a lot, and are bringing bikes with us. I don't lift on holidays.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    It depends. Our yearly Oregon beach vacation I get a week membership at a local gym and continue my regular lifting routine.

However, I'm going to Belize in a couple weeks, and will not attempt to "exercise." But I will be scuba diving, exploring, etc.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I've never been to the gym while on vacation, but we do usually plan a lot of active outings and end up doing a lot of walking. I ran a 5k on castaway cay (mostly because it was a free excursion that takes u through a part of the island that u otherwise don't get to see without renting bike) Also, it's not everyday you get to do a Disney 5k in the Bahamas
  • BlaqueDiamond1989
    BlaqueDiamond1989 Posts: 57 Member
    I still try to get in some kind of work out. Even if it's just walking, or doing some floor exercises such as situps, pushups, jumping jacks. Anything to keep me moving.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I love running in new areas, so I always try to get at least 1 run in. I also use the hotel gym a few times -most hotel gyms are really limited, but it is better than nothing.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I sort of do. My DH has severe arthritis and can't walk as far or as fast as I can, so I try to pick up a little extra time on the hotel's treadmill to balance out all the food. We use the hotel pool while there also.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Nope
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    does running to the bar for another margarita count? then yes.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Whenever possible, yes. I make sure my hotel has a fitness center and use it daily. I know I'm likely to go over my calorie/macro limits while on vacay, so at least if I work out I feel like I'm off-setting that a bit.
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Vacations for me usually involve a lot of walking around, exploring, or hiking. I try to stay active and see as much as possible, it really helps to lessen the impact of the way over-indulging of food without counting calories. But I wouldn't stress over it if it's a lazy vacation and there's a lot of hotel time - just enjoy yourself! No need to let stress over a missed workout or extra calories put a damper on a good time.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    I try to. We went to London last year, I had every intention of running every morning, but my body could not adjust to the time change. I felt hungover every single morning. Was awful.

Actually, now that I think of it, every vacation I've attempted to workout it hasn't worked. We went to Dominican Republic a few years back, the first night I severely sprained my ankle and was barely even able to walk the rest of the trip.

If you have the time to dip in the gym for a quick workout - go for it. Why not? If working out means you'll be missing out on some things on your vacation, it may not be worth doing it then.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't go to the gym and workout on vacation. We do a long weekend in San Diego once or twice per year and stay on Pacific Beach...we usually rent bikes for the 3 or 4 days we'll be there and use those or our feet to get around for the most part as driving around PB sucks.

My wife is a runner and usually brings her running shoes with her...I'm pretty content to ride around and walk the boardwalk and take walks on the beach and do some surfing.

We also try to do one bigger vacation every year...usually there is a ton of site seeing involved and tons of walking so that's more than enough.

I'm typically way more just generally active on a vacation without deliberate exercise than I am at home where I exercise pretty much daily.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Sort of. I don’t worry about following a training schedule or plan but I enjoy running in new places so I try to do that. I’m considerably more active in general on vacation-walking, hiking, biking, doing things all day which isn’t a “workout” in a strict sense but is a whole lot of activity. That all helps because I also tend to enjoy lots of food when I’m on vacation and it all balances out.

When I travel for work I’m more inclined to try to stay to a training schedule/plan to the best of my ability with hotel gyms and local options.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    I'm leaving in a couple days to go to the Dominican Republic. I will not be going to the gym while I'm there but we will be hiking, riding bikes, scuba diving, Etc
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    RunRun72 wrote: »
    Would you exercise during those 4 days or not ?

I always take running kit when I'm on holiday, but then we go places that I'll enjoy running. Fairly regularly I'll take my Cyclocross bike as well, to do a bit of offroading.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I'm active on vacation because I go on vacation to see things, not to lay around and do nothing.
  • RunRun72
    RunRun72 Posts: 19 Member
    thanks for all your help guys :) I've actually decided to take my mini stepper with me and use it 1 hr in the morning and 1 hr in the evening whilst watching TV ! What do you think ?