PPL another question

I have been doing 3 sessions on, 1 day off. And I think it is a bit too much for me, is it ok to do 2 sessions, 1 day off?
J

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    yes
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    yes

Thanks
  • jc1961AA
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Yes. I do a 4 day a week version. Mainly because I added a lot of volume, so with the added volume, I reduced the number of days, and instead use the “rest days” as active recovery: walking, foam rolling, and stretching.

Thanks, I only started a few weeks ago but today i was just feeling tired and could not take myself to the gym. A 3 on, 1 off routine can make it 6 times a week, never went that much to the gym before and at 56 my recovery time is not as fast as it used to be. So I am quite happy to drop to a 2 on, 1 off routine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Yes. I do a 4 day a week version. Mainly because I added a lot of volume, so with the added volume, I reduced the number of days, and instead use the “rest days” as active recovery: walking, foam rolling, and stretching.

Thanks, I only started a few weeks ago but today i was just feeling tired and could not take myself to the gym. A 3 on, 1 off routine can make it 6 times a week, never went that much to the gym before and at 56 my recovery time is not as fast as it used to be. So I am quite happy to drop to a 2 on, 1 off routine.

If you are struggling with recovery, you may want to look into a different program, especially if you haven't been lifting for awhile. PPL are generally intermediate to advanced programs, so if you don't have a couple of solid years of training, it wouldn't be an ideal place to start.
  • jc1961AA
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jc1961AA wrote: »

If you are struggling with recovery, you may want to look into a different program, especially if you haven't been lifting for awhile. PPL are generally intermediate to advanced programs, so if you don't have a couple of solid years of training, it wouldn't be an ideal place to start.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to see how I cope with the new regime, if it's still too much I will look at something else. I had a quick look at a few lifting programs for beginners on the front page of the forum, Strong lift 5 x 5, Waterbury method and the Hugh Jackmans Wolverine Workout, but they also seem quite a fair bit of training. Shame that I can't carry on with the 6 days per week as i could already see results, and i feel like i was getting stronger too. Hopefully the 2 on 1 off, will work too