Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do diets work?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Geez, you people - I ate over 1000 guilt-free calories at dinner Valentine's day (including half an adorable heart-shaped flourless chocolate cake) but I'm not even in the ballpark!
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Often the diet (to lose weight) works, but when people stop "dieting" for many reasons. (One example)When they reach their goal weight and return to old eating habits, therefore gaining weight, it's these eating habits that don't work, not the diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    So dieting to loose weight by cutting calories then going back to how you ate previously is not working.

This is not how a diet must work. You are creating a strawman and saying it doesn't work, that's silly.

If someone was eating in a way that caused them to gain weight before, obviously they won't go back to exactly how they were eating (I think people often make bigger changes, but understanding why they were overeating and how to avoid it is important). Different maintenance plans will work for different people, and it's easy to overeat in our society for lots of reasons.

If someone chooses to follow a WFPB diet for weight control/weight loss (as some push), that too is a diet.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    So dieting to loose weight by cutting calories then going back to how you ate previously is not working.

Yes, that does not work. And those who do that find themselves right back in the same situation. Part of weight/fat loss is learning new habits and how to eat sustainably. That is where measuring and logging can be a great tool.

One comes to understand diet, nutrition, and how the energy balance equation, CICO, affects weight loss and gain. Those that apply that knowledge can easily keep the weight off. Those that depend on gimmick "diets" to lose weight but don't learn the fundamentals are destined to repeat the process.

But not all loose weight by calorie control and then go back to how they ate previously. For you to state that as absolute is a ridiculous strawman assertion as lemurcat pointed out.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    many people also think that when they lose weight they can go back to eating the way they were. many dont know that you have to figure out what your maintenance calories are to maintain that new weight. which is why many people lose and gain over and over again.I gained weight because I ate more than I burned because I became less active. I was a healthy weight and thin all my life until I hit my mid 30s.

I started slowly gaining weight over that time. once I got to a point I couldnt deal with the extra almost 70 lbs I said enough was enough and started being more active and counting calories. The weigh started coming off. for me I have a metabolic disorder so even with counting calories my weight doesnt come off at the rate MFP says it will and Im ok with that. it does come off just slower than probably most people here.even eating less and burning more its slow.But I know if I went back to being sedentary and eating the way I was I would gain it all back again and I now know what I have to do to prevent that from happening. I have to make a change in my lifestyle to be successful.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

that's the point - you don't need 5 servings to get the same nutrition - people will throw burgers into their DIET and then trying to understand why they are not making the same losses or gains as the person eating more nutrient dense food - Chicken - Fish - lean cuts of beef - less sugar more vegetables
    like I said I will crash and burn once in a while and indulge but its NOT part of my plan for fitness - its a deviation - and outlier

The losses and gains are created by the amount of calories that one consumes relative to how much energy one is using. Yeah, some calorie-dense foods like burgers can make it more difficult to meet a specific calorie goal (assuming one is trying to reduce calories), but this can be adjusted for by planning other meals around the higher calorie meal or choosing a lower calorie option (not every burger has to have 1,000+ calories). There are lots of successful people here who are meeting their health, weight, and fitness goals and still having foods like burgers (or pizza or pasta or whatever food you want to believe is so inherently harmful).

Choosing to have a burger (or a cookie or a slice of pizza or a glass of wine) isn't "crashing and burning," it's just life. And in the context of a diet that is meeting your nutritional needs (which is what everyone here is recommending), there's nothing harmful about it.

If someone is a volume eater and wants to have larger servings of lower calorie food, that's perfectly understandable. But not everyone is like that. Some people like smaller servings of more calorie-dense food (or, like many, they mix different types of food).

I legitimately don't understand why someone would care about the strategies that people use to meet the goals of meeting nutritional needs/calorie goals, having satiating meals, and enjoying their lives.

Your strategy may not be my strategy. Why is that a problem?

Its not a problem - the OP asked about diet I told her better to be fit ---- a diet(in the context she was using it) is something you eventually go off of and untimely most like fail - fitness is a lifestyle a diet in her context is not a lifestyle its temporary fix to get her to a short term unsustainable goal without lifestyle changes

Many members here have lost weight and and are maintaining successfully despite consuming foods you deem to be "crap" and ended up with excellent health markers and feeling satisfied both physically and mentally...now here's the interesting part...some of these same people have achieved this *all without picking up a single barbell or going on a single walk or run*

Fitness enhances a healthy lifestyle but is not the be all and end all; Lack of exercise does not hinder weight loss. Adhering to your calorie allotment is the only key.

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well the term "diet" is usually used in a sense that is assumed to be temporary, like when someone says "I'm on a diet". But when someone says "I've changed my diet" to me, that has a whole different connotation and is assumed to be more permanent.

And I'm not sure what OP means by "Do diets work". Sure, they can help you lose weight and achieve your goal so therefore they can technically "work". And some people can do the yo-yo thing and be perfectly happy with that, so that would work for them. If OP means do they help you lose weight, keep it off, and be healthy, then no, a lot of times they don't work if they are just a temporary fix.

But as others have said, CICO is not necessarily a diet. Some people use it religiously in the long term to maintain or gain weight. It also can be used as a tool to understand and adopt better eating habits. And really if you are over weight and you don't change any of your habits in the long term, you'll have a hard time keeping weight off.