Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Too smart to lose weight?

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2018
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I think the current culture of abundance we've created is a big part of it. Having options isn't necessarily a good thing. We are so overwhelmed with CHOICES, making the right choice often becomes exhausting (buying toothpaste, god help me). Saying the fad diets appeal to our emotion, while totally true, ignores something more primal in us. It wasn't so long ago that our culture and location defined what we ate, severely limiting our choices. You could live in Ukraine and eat Borscht every day and that was that. I don't think our brains and bodies have adapted to all these choices. We crave the "simple" so we lock onto Paleo or Keto or Whole360 or whatever, trying to go back to the lack of choice humans have lived with for most of humanity. It doesn't work, obviously, we live in a world of choice now. There is an abundance of food, of information, of stuff, and we have to flex our restraint and refocus muscles more than our ancestors ever imagined.

So true. I found I'm most successful when I limit my choices. Eating relatively the same lunch every day and rotate between several dinners. I struggle on the weekends when the "world is my oyster"

But I know some people can't stand to do that. My SO can't do that. If it were up to me, I'd probably eat the same thing day in day out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It's easy to get psyched out. Especially if you're on the third or so go-around. It's also easy to get psyched out by the non linear nature of it all.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I used to work in academia and found that many "smart" people get bogged down in attempting to understand relatively meaningless issues such as "Why did this happen?" rather than actually taking action and doing something...anything that may mitigate risk.

I often bring up the Pareto Principle - focusing on the 20% of effort that drives 80% of the results. In this case CICO and calorie counting is that 20%. Pretty much all else is irrelevant for the majority of the population unless you are an elite level athlete.

Brilliant!!! Reminds me of that person that would stand and monologue to me for an hour about how busy they were. After each day, I got better at cutting them off, 'cause I don't have time for that. My only thought was, "You'd have more time if you stopped talking for a minute!" We do tend to over-complicate things, and there are a lot of thinkers that have a hard time being doers.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I used to work in academia and found that many "smart" people get bogged down in attempting to understand relatively meaningless issues such as "Why did this happen?" rather than actually taking action and doing something...anything that may mitigate risk.

I often bring up the Pareto Principle - focusing on the 20% of effort that drives 80% of the results. In this case CICO and calorie counting is that 20%. Pretty much all else is irrelevant for the majority of the population unless you are an elite level athlete.

I can't find the quote right now, but somebody (I believe it was Eric Helms) recently wrote a piece about striving for "optimal" - as in the optimal diet, workout routine, etc. He made a comment to the effect that doing something that's 60% optimal 90% of the time will get much better results than doing something that's 90% optimal 60% of the time.

This what you were looking for?

iujovdjzvrbl.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member

That's actually to be expressed as "Put 80% of your effort on your 20% worst problems. Then re-rank and re-sort and re-sume."
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Agree with those that it's simple - but not easy.

We have a society that circles around convenience and ease of getting what we want, and quickly. Amazon Prime anyone? (I'm a huge fan by the way LOL).

Losing weight by the CICO method isn't instant, it takes time, and it's not convenient. It means regular trips to the grocery store, actually paying attention to what and how you're cooking it (and cooking yourself more often to begin with), and noticing everything that goes into what you're eating.

We also have way too many people who subscribe to the idea that things aren't their own fault.

Fad diets, pills, and anything that gives quick results (even if short lived) fits into the "popular" way of thinking.

Actually putting in the work and stopping with the excuses? THAT'S the hard part.

Really, IMO, it boils down to one thing - PRIORITIES.

If something is important to us, we will make it happen. If not, we will come up with excuses. If someone is honest about their priorities, they won't complain about their weight while doing nothing about it.

Perfect example - this last summer, I was way to stressed trying to save my leg to worry about my eating, and with walking being a challenge, I wasn't motivated to work on the things I could at the gym. I knew this, I knew I could control my weight by watching my food - I didn't want to. So I didn't, and yes, I put on weight, but it was a choice at that time. I knew the truth, and admitted to myself that it wasn't enough of a priority.

Now it is, and now I'm slowly working on reversing the damage.

FAR too many Americans at least (can't speak to other countries) can't admit that it is THEIR choice, and won't admit that what their priorities really are.
  • CSARdiver

We have a society that circles around convenience and ease of getting what we want, and quickly. Amazon Prime anyone? (I'm a huge fan by the way LOL).

Losing weight by the CICO method isn't instant, it takes time, and it's not convenient. It means regular trips to the grocery store, actually paying attention to what and how you're cooking it (and cooking yourself more often to begin with), and noticing everything that goes into what you're eating.

We also have way too many people who subscribe to the idea that things aren't their own fault.

Fad diets, pills, and anything that gives quick results (even if short lived) fits into the "popular" way of thinking.

Actually putting in the work and stopping with the excuses? THAT'S the hard part.

If something is important to us, we will make it happen. If not, we will come up with excuses. If someone is honest about their priorities, they won't complain about their weight while doing nothing about it.

Perfect example - this last summer, I was way to stressed trying to save my leg to worry about my eating, and with walking being a challenge, I wasn't motivated to work on the things I could at the gym. I knew this, I knew I could control my weight by watching my food - I didn't want to. So I didn't, and yes, I put on weight, but it was a choice at that time. I knew the truth, and admitted to myself that it wasn't enough of a priority.

FAR too many Americans at least (can't speak to other countries) can't admit that it is THEIR choice, and won't admit that what their priorities really are.

Nothing worth having is simple or easy. Anything given has no value. We have allowed a society of blame as opposed to a society of responsibility. Much easier to reject responsibility than it is to accept it, but this is a sure recipe for failure.

Anytime I hear "I don't have time" I point out that there are 168 hours in a week. Explain to me how you can't budget in 3 hours/week to exercise.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    It's simple, but not easy. People want easy.
    I agree, but overcomplicating isn't making things easier? Lots of people put in enormous effort to stay on the most hopeless diet and exercise regimens. I did too. Eating food I like, just a little less, and walking, is easy, not just simple!

It's not easy when its not what you want to do or accustomed to doing. Just saying.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member

Nothing worth having is simple or easy. Anything given has no value. We have allowed a society of blame as opposed to a society of responsibility. Much easier to reject responsibility than it is to accept it, but this is a sure recipe for failure.

Anytime I hear "I don't have time" I point out that there are 168 hours in a week. Explain to me how you can't budget in 3 hours/week to exercise.

Just be sure you listen before you judge. Today's culture is all about the hardship Olympics; many of the people you talk to are in mindless competition, but not all. I wasn't very healthy when I worked 2 full-time jobs on opposite ends of town for minimum wage and had to pay out of pocket for all my healthcare/medical needs. Technically, I still had time to make healthy choices, but exhaustion got the better of me. Yeah, I had priorities, and medical expenses required me to work that much until I scored a better job. It was A LOT easier to get healthy once I got into a better situation.
  • CSARdiver
    amandaeve wrote: »

Just be sure you listen before you judge. Today's culture is all about the hardship Olympics; many of the people you talk to are in mindless competition, but not all. I wasn't very healthy when I worked 2 full-time jobs on opposite ends of town for minimum wage and had to pay out of pocket for all my healthcare/medical needs. Technically, I still had time to make healthy choices, but exhaustion got the better of me. Yeah, I had priorities, and medical expenses required me to work that much until I scored a better job. It was A LOT easier to get healthy once I got into a better situation.

No judgement involved - just using data to prove or disprove a point. This is how growth occurs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited February 2018
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I agree, but overcomplicating isn't making things easier? Lots of people put in enormous effort to stay on the most hopeless diet and exercise regimens. I did too. Eating food I like, just a little less, and walking, is easy, not just simple!

It's not easy when its not what you want to do or accustomed to doing. Just saying.

But almost all high-payoff personal growth is like that. Yet after I make one uncomfortable major change for the better, future ones become easier. Life improvement accelerates, potentially.

I suspect - based on personal stories I've read here - that for some, successful weight loss turns out to be a "gateway drug" leading to other significant life improvements.

(It was not that for me. Becoming an athlete in my 40s kind of was, and one of the things it led to - 10+ years later - was weight loss).

Edit: wrong verb form
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2018
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

I don't think anyone here is saying it's easy. I think a lot of people are, or maybe just me, are saying we over-complicate a simple process. Simple =/= easy.

I imagine being in a situation where you had no other choice to lose weight, be it medical reasons - what have you, would be an entirely other beast added to the forest. But it boils down to emotional/mental (not including health/medical conditions/etc).

Have you ever tried learning a new language? It's hard. It's frustrating, it takes a lot of effort. I'm not use to learning another language, or anything with that amount of content. It's easier to not learn it, obviously. (Trying to learn Spanish... it's challenging)

If you've never experienced losing weight, you've never read any articles/studies, literally have had no exposure to it - its' going to be a massive undertaking to gain the knowledge you need to be successful.