Replies

• sueben04
    sueben04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drizzle some balsamic glaze on top.
  • jumpsquats
    jumpsquats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Avocado, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Heaven!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Fixed toast and spread avocado on top, sprinkled a bit of bacon bits and grated parmesan cheese on top. My husband was in heaven!
  • newforgood
    newforgood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like bland. And don't like eggs. Rye bread. Avocado, cottage cheese, tomato, salt, and pepper.
  • avalonothic
    avalonothic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chop up fresh mint, parsley and red onion and add it to the avocado and lemon juice mixture you already had. I always add extra lemon juice on top of it all once it's plated
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Minced Onion.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I add seasoning to the eggs. Like Emerils Steak or Montreal Steak seasoning.
  • vtemp2013
    vtemp2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Salsa. When I make avocado toast, I always add a little salsa to it to give it that extra "umph" of flavor without adding too many cals. Try adding some garlic/onion powder to the avocado too. It should help.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Old Bay is good on avocado.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you feel it needs more pizzazz, add a small drizzle of good olive oil, along with your salt and pepper. Garlic is good too. Personally I find lemon juice sends my avocado flavor in the wrong direction, but it's probably just me. Use a crisply toasted bread with a strong flavor profile, like sourdough or a whole wheat seed and nut bread. Avocado is kind of like butter...it's not so much the flavor as the mouth feel and overall sensation combined.
  • sarabrunning
    sarabrunning Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try a steamed egg (very low heat, sunny side up, little splash water, lid on just til white sets and yold is runny but with an opaque layer) on sprouted protein bread with the avocado sprinkled with fresh cracked black pepper, sea salt, and drops of sriracha. I think the hard boiled egg makes it extremely bland but a hint of spicy and a melt in your mouth slow cooker egg and creamy yolk change the game.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    add sardines - or a shot of tabasco in the avocado mix
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We slice the avocado rather than mash it to keep the texture. Once sliced, push it to fan the slices slightly then squeeze lemon or lime juice along with a little natural sea salt, black pepper and crushed chilli flakes. Lay the fan slices of Av on your toast and top with diced tomato and spring onions (scallions if you are American). Top with a poached or dry fried egg and a little more black pepper. Finally drizzle a little sweet chilli sauce around the plate as a garnish (sugar free versions available in UK) Voila! We eat this every Saturday and Sunday for brunch and are utterly obsessed!gt6yfwzcg5rx.jpeg
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Eggs and avocado on toast is my go to lunch. I love it. I often add feta and/or tomatoes to the avocado. Also, runny poached eggs is best!!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I know it's pretty popular right now, and I had some this week end at a local place that was pretty delicious (egg was on the side though), but I was wondering how you make it so it's not too bland.

I mixed the avocado with lemon juice, salt, and pepper, sliced an hard boiled egg on top and sprinkled that with salt and paprika.

It wasn't bad, but there seems to be something missing.

Ideas?

I don't make mine with hardboiled eggs. Mash the avocado onto your toast and top it with a medium fried egg where the yolk is still runny. It makes all the difference.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My avo toast has:

Sautéed garlic and smoked chipotle flakes
    Tonnes of (Maldon) salt - I am a salt fiend, though
    Pepper
    Lemon (can add zest for extra flavour)
    ^all mixed into the smashed avo

Sliced plum tomatoes, cooked quickly in the same oil as the garlic to make them extra flavourful
    ^on top

I think that’s it! Sometimes I even cook the bread in the garlic oil if I have any left :) oh and you can also add Worcestershire sauce on top. But with this recipe, it won’t be necessary. Oh and smoked SALMON with avo...or feta and greens...ahhh it’s a versatile foodstuff.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Words to live by: pancetta makes everything better. Worth it if you have the spare calories.
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options