Foods to help me as recently diagnosed as a diabetic

iancurtis28
iancurtis28 Posts: 2 Member
Is there anyone who can give me ideas to help me try with meals for a diabetic and lose weight (i have lost 9 pounds to date since the start of the year). I am aiming to reduce my sugar levels in my blood for the next test in 10 weeks time and aiming to try and persuade the doctors to take me off the medication prescribed as a diabetic.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss. That will help you control your blood sugars going forward. I’m going to assume you are diagnosed type 2 diabetes.

The whole trick with diabetic eating is that it is not a list of foods that helps you maintain control, it’s the timing and portioning that is all important. You will become more aware how foods affect you, controlling by food choices what your pancreas used to do for you without thinking about it.

Have you got your own glucometer? That will help you get better information on how your meals are affecting you.

Here is the easiest description of meal planning I have found:

http://www.diabetes.org/mfa-recipes/meal-plans/2015-04-mp-create-your-plate.html

Instead of the lunch suggestion you may choose to eat leftovers from the night before to save money.

When I eat out or prepare my plate I visualize it half full of vegetables. Another quarter has my chosen protein, and the remainder is my carb of choice. The balancing of carb, protein and fat helps me get a balanced delivery of energy, never too high and never too low.

My snacks similarly are balanced between carb, fat and protein. That might be cheese and crackers, Edamame, PB and an apple, hikers mix, nuts, or half a protein bar.
  • Eating a good balance of lean proteins, (include fish a couple of times a week), full fat dairy, a wide range of vegetables and complex carbohydrates. Think good fats, (nuts, avocados, olive oil).
    The above adicice is excellent.
    Your plate should be 50/ 25/25.
    Three meals a day plus snacks to maintain regular blood sugar levels.
    Keep up the water intake and gentle exercise is excellent for circulation and heart health.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I managed to reverse my type 2 diagnosis after losing enough weight. According to the Newcastle University study type 2 is often caused by too much fat around the liver and pancreas.
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

But maybe you shouldn't be in such a hurry to get off metformin as they are trialing it as a fountain of youth drug.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/popular-diabetes-drug-could-be-our-fountain-of-youth_us_565c7901e4b08e945febbf1d
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Do not go off the meds until your doctor says diabetes is controlled. Diabetes is dangerous because it can lead to many serious health problems over time. I reversed marginal dm with about 30 lbs weight loss and increased exercise—walking and weights 2x. I did not follow special food diet. You should qualify for consult with dietician so encourage you to ask doc about that. You can beat this, many have.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Is there anyone who can give me ideas to help me try with meals for a diabetic and lose weight (i have lost 9 pounds to date since the start of the year). I am aiming to reduce my sugar levels in my blood for the next test in 10 weeks time and aiming to try and persuade the doctors to take me off the medication prescribed as a diabetic.

When I cut out foods with added sugar and/or any form of any grain hoping for pain management not only did it manage my pain well but it fully addressed my high fasting sugar levels in my blood and a host of other medical health issues.

Best of success in finding the Way Of Eating that works best for YOUR body.
  • iancurtis28
    iancurtis28 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks to all of you for the advice you have provided. I will take observe board what you have said and hopefully over a period of time I shall achieve my aim of further weight loss and to eventually come off the medication
  • Jermanator
    Jermanator Posts: 18 Member
    I reversed type 2 diabetes. When I first started trying to get it under control, the only thing that worked was going super low on the carbs. A big help was getting rid of bread and I used low carb tortillas as a substitute. If you do not have a glycometer, get one and take readings every morning at fasting and 90 to 120 minutes after a meal. It will tell you quite a bit about what does and doesn't work to keep your sugar in line. You should also find out that it is much easier to keep your sugar in line after meals if you exercise-- take a little walk or do any light activity afterward. It helps quite a bit.

As a result of going on a low carb diet, I lost some weight. Between the weight loss and diet, I went off the medications. Now I can manage quite a bit of regular carb foods without any issues and still keep my sugar in check. At this point, my plan is to keep dropping the weight by tracking my calories in and calories out so I can get to an even healthier weight.

Last week I got my labs back from my doctor. My A1c and fasting sugar was both in the normal range.

Good luck. You can do this!