Jeans from the 80s vs Jeans from today

Replies

• Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    I read that the 000 and 00 sizes were made to accommodate Asian women who are genetically much smaller in frame size and couldn’t find anything to fit them in American stores. A lot of American stores like JCrew, Gap, etc. have stores internationally.

Personally I wish my midsection would get as lean as the rest of me no matter what size it is according to some random store. It’s taking so looong to look lean.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    edited February 2018
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    rkmomm wrote: »
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »
    sandylion wrote: »

Why people that post here are in denial that this is a real thing is beyond me. I don’t care that I’ve seen sizes shrink per se. but it is kind of funny. No offense, but today’s size 6 means you probably are on a diet.

Or you're more than 5 feet tall. I see plenty of people that are a size 6, 10, or even 14 that don't need to diet. But they're 5'8, 5'10 or 6'1. Not everyone is meant to weigh 100lbs. Health BMI for me (haven't been there in years! but it exists) is 170 lbs. I'd still be at least a size 12, and I wouldn't be on a diet.

I don't deny vanity sizing is a thing. But I also don't believe a size 6 necessarily means you need to diet. I'm 5'2, 115#, size 8 jeans. I'm well within the healthy BMI range and fairly happy with my stats. (apologies for the crappy pic!)
    hcosnc22qv2j.jpg

Are those US 8 jeans? I’m 5’8” wearing size 8 jeans and I’m not as slim as you. A UK 8 is like a US 4.

Yes, these are US 8.

I own a random size 8 dress that fits me too. And I'm currently a size 0. So what!

I'm 5'2" and the most I've ever weighed, aside from pregnancy, was about 125. Even then I was never a size 8.

Not to call *kitten*, but... never mind. Yup, *kitten*.

Call *kitten* on what? That I wear a size 8 jeans? This is not a one-off pair. All of the jeans I wear these days are size 8 or 6. I went shopping the other day and couldn't squeeze myself into a 4 (in jeans) with a shoehorn! This is what I was saying earlier about being perplexed. Apparently vanity sizing does not apply to me. Maybe has to do with my weight redistribution post pregnancy...I have a thick waist, compared. Plus some leftover baby pouch that just. won't. leave.

Kudos for keeping your weight low, even during pregnancy! I was tipping 190 with my twins (all belly). :)

Edit: missing words.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member

Why people that post here are in denial that this is a real thing is beyond me. I don’t care that I’ve seen sizes shrink per se. but it is kind of funny. No offense, but today’s size 6 means you probably are on a diet.

Or you're more than 5 feet tall. I see plenty of people that are a size 6, 10, or even 14 that don't need to diet. But they're 5'8, 5'10 or 6'1. Not everyone is meant to weigh 100lbs. Health BMI for me (haven't been there in years! but it exists) is 170 lbs. I'd still be at least a size 12, and I wouldn't be on a diet.

I don't deny vanity sizing is a thing. But I also don't believe a size 6 necessarily means you need to diet. I'm 5'2, 115#, size 8 jeans. I'm well within the healthy BMI range and fairly happy with my stats. (apologies for the crappy pic!)
    hcosnc22qv2j.jpg

Are those US 8 jeans? I’m 5’8” wearing size 8 jeans and I’m not as slim as you. A UK 8 is like a US 4.

Yes, these are US 8.

I own a random size 8 dress that fits me too. And I'm currently a size 0. So what!

I'm 5'2" and the most I've ever weighed, aside from pregnancy, was about 125. Even then I was never a size 8.

Call *kitten* on what? That I wear a size 8 jeans? This is not a one-off pair. All of the jeans I wear these days are size 8 or 6. I went shopping the other day and couldn't squeeze myself into a 4 (in jeans) with a shoehorn! This is what I was saying earlier about being perplexed. Apparently vanity sizing does not apply to me. Maybe has to do with my weight redistribution post pregnancy...I have a thick waist, compared. Plus some leftover baby pouch that just. won't. leave.

Kudos for keeping your weight low, even during pregnancy! I was tipping 190 with my twins (all belly). :)

Wow. That is interesting then. Idk.

I assume you had a csection? Those are tough. I had an emergency one and it really messed up my body. My waist also has not been the same.

Yes, I hit 140. But it would have been much more with twins. I cannot imagine. Although I’d love to have twins, or just even two children now.

Have you tried to pilates? I wore that band around my waist post pregnancy for about three months then got back to pilates. They both have helped. But yea, my waist is thicker now too then it was. :/. You do look good though!

• krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member

hcosnc22qv2j.jpg

Yes, these are US 8.

Wow. That is interesting then. Idk.

I assume you had a csection? Those are tough. I had an emergency one and it really messed up my body. My waist also has not been the same.

Yes, I hit 140. But it would have been much more with twins. I cannot imagine. Although I’d love to have twins, or just even two children now.

Have you tried to pilates? I wore that band around my waist post pregnancy for about three months then got back to pilates. They both have helped. But yea, my waist is thicker now too then it was. :/. You do look good though!

Thank you. :)

No c-section, thankfully. I don't envy you for going through that. I pushed mine out the old-fashioned way. Whew, I'm exhausted just thinking about it! Of course they are 11 now...

I don't do pilates...maybe I should try it. I do believe I have some diastasis recti going on, as my upper stomach sort of domes out no matter how light I get. I hate it in a bathing suit, don't mind it so much in clothes. I was never like that pre-pregnancy. I'm also pre-menopausal, so that could contribute to carrying more weight in the middle. Oh well!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I still don't understand "waist" sizing. Why is everything with waist sizing when it doesn't even go around your waist? All my bands are below my belly button. My waist is right around my belly button. According to my true waist (around belly button) I should be a good 4 sizes more than I am but I am not because its the hip size that matters. I don't understand why waist is used for any pants besides high rise pants when the size of your waist has no factor, its the hips?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2018
    I hate women’s clothing sizes. They’re all different. Why can’t women’s pants be sized by length like men’s pants are? I got a size 6 from banana republic that fit, and right now I’m wearing a size10 from old navy. WTF! They are owned by the same company even!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I hate women’s clothing sizes. They’re all different. Why can’t women’s pants be sized by length like men’s pants are? I got a size 6 from banana republic that fit, and right now I’m wearing a size10 from old navy. WTF! They are owned by the same company even!

barring any other reasons.. because we have curves (and also some items are meant to fit more snugly than is typical in men's pants). There can't really be a universal single-number (or even just 2-3 numbers) sizing system for us that will work.. waist, hips, leg length, torso length (or some measure for natural waist-hip distance), thigh circumference,.. will all decide whether a particular pair of pants fits us well or not.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    I think pant sizes have gotten bigger, but dresses not so much, which is a little weird. So I’m an 8 pant and 12 top/dress.

I went wedding dress shopping 5 years ago for our vow renewal and told the sales person I was a 12/14 dress (that was before I gained all my weight back again) and they said that would be like a 16/18 in wedding dresses and they didn’t have a lot of plus sizes to try on...ouch. I guess they still run the same as they did years ago. I ended up ordering a 16 to fit my top and altered the hips to be closer to a 12.

Btw...I’m now 10 lbs lighter than I was then (after losing it all AGAIN).
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited February 2018
    I've heard that off the rack wedding dresses are not vanity sized and that some brides to be freak out when told the size they should get.

Here's a link to a short article with some graphs that show how the sizing has changed for women's clothing over the past 50 years: http://www.eonline.com/news/687475/a-brief-history-of-women-s-clothing-sizes-and-why-you-just-went-up-a-size
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »

That is EXTRA crazy with those two brands, too!! I wore a 16 in Old Navy jeans when I still wore size 20 in even Lane Bryant...and I have several dresses in Small from Old Navy now which is absolutely laughable as I'm 10-12/M & L everywhere else. Meanwhile, I picked up some size 10 Banana Republic jeans that wouldn't even go past my thighs trying on - and most of my jeans (all different brands both high & low end) are size 10.

I feel like when I go to thrift stores (which is often) I just shop every single size from S-XXL and 8-14 because all of it MIGHT fit...annoying, for sure...sometimes not a bad thing though in that case!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Agreed on wedding dress sizing.... when I got married I wore size 6/8 jeans but I ended up buying a size 12 wedding dress. I do remember that putting me in a bad mood! It did need to be altered of course, but the fitted bodice was not forgiving
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited February 2018
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I've heard that off the rack wedding dresses are not vanity sized and that some brides to be freak out when told the size they should get.

Here's a link to a short article with some graphs that show how the sizing has changed for women's clothing over the past 50 years: http://www.eonline.com/news/687475/a-brief-history-of-women-s-clothing-sizes-and-why-you-just-went-up-a-size

This is really incredible that size 0 now was a size 8. I hate how sizes go up just because American's are getting fatter. I routinely hear people say "Oh I don't need to lose weight because I am a size ____". If sizes were true to how they used to be, they wouldn't have that false sense of "I don't need to lose weight".

There is also the school of thought out there that people shouldn't weigh themselves, and should go by "how your clothes fit." That would be very misleading with the vanity sizing.

I've always assumed that this meant "how your own clothes fit." Obviously if your pants that were once too small are now loose, then you've lost weight.

Yeah but if you continued over the years buying size 10 for example without weighing yourself you'd be in trouble. Since yesteryears size 10 is now a 2 or 4. And clothes stretch over time with wear so you cannot depend on it to assure you've not gained.