Barbell Bench Press without spotter

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Never use collars when benching without spotters so you can dump the weight

Have you actually ever tried doing this?

It doesn't work because if you can't lift the bar to begin with, you still won't be able to upend it to slip 1/2 of the weight off. If you're using a bar that you CAN upend, then you aren't doing a realistic test of this theory.

I have actually tried doing this while using the safety bars on my rack and failed miserably. Without the safety bars, I'd be dead.

No, but I've seen it done... it can be alarming for bystanders, but it works.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I've rolled the bar down my chest before. I have only slipped it off w/o collars when squatting and had to bail.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    I have a home gym and workout by myself. I dont have someone to spot me but I bench press in my squat rack as mentioned above just in case but never needed it really. I would say do them and when you notice that your having trouble take extra rest and try again or a little less weight extra reps.

This. I also lift at home and bench in my squat rack... And I have needed it once and I'm glad I was in there!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    I workout alone. I've gotten to know a few of the guys at the gym and I have no problem asking them for an occasional spot. One even told me if he's at the gym when I'm benching, I can always ask him to give me a lift-off and spot for me
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    I lift at home - no spotters - I've had to roll the bar off a few times - I never thought of it as " the roll of shame" It means I tried for 1 more rep. I'm a little more cautious these days & try to stop just short of actual failure - you know you've got it when you have to grind out the last one - Eastcoast Jim
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Another in the rack on intensity day person here. I do bench on the normal bench on volume day but I normally have 1 left in me. I just don't feel safe doing 5x1 or 3x2 at 90+% 1rm unless I have a spotter or in the rack. Doing 5x6-8 at 75% doesn't scare me as much and I just leave collars off and can dump if needed.

Oh, I think you absolutely need to test yourself every now and then. I test the big 3 about every 7-8 weeks. Then I know for sure what to base my next cycle off of. I just don't trust the calculations off an AMRAP unless it's like 3 reps. If you are doing that then your not stressing yourself much more by just doing a true max.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Dumping a bar is something you would only do in an emergency. Hopefully you would never get in that situation.

You don't want to kill yourself training alone and having the bar crushing your neck. Not sure what is meant by "rolling" the bar. I presume it means having the bar stuck on your chest and rolling it toward your waist. Not a smart way to go. The bar could accidentally go toward your neck and crush you!

(And yes I have dumped a bar after getting buried on a bench press. I have also gotten pinned in a vertical leg press and there is a trick to getting out of that too!)

If I was in a populated gym I would just ask someone for a spot if I thought I needed one. There are also lots of machines in a gym to use instead of free weights.

I train alone at home and use a power rack to bench in. Safety pins are always used even with lighter weight. I could blow out my shoulder and get stuck even with moderate weights.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    With a spotter, It removes some of the doubt and you can focus more on the lift.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Doing benchpress (just about any compound lifts to be honest) to failure each and every time is not advised in my opinion. The idea is to have something left in the tank without having the CNS depleted. You can have days where you can lift to failure, and on those days you could ensure you have a spotter - otherwise idea is to keep your RPE range somewhere in 8 or 9 if you have to.
  • nknis8556
    nknis8556 Posts: 26 Member
    Again, great advice--thanks, everyone. I'll have to stick with lower weight on decline press for the most part, and get a spotter (which really isn't an issue for a single set) when pushing higher.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Who said take each set to failure? I use a spotter for sets I'm unsure of. Doesn't matter the rep or weight, it's if I'm not sure I can get to a the last rep. I'm still gonna try to get my set. You dumping dumbells is the same as a barbell spotter. If I work hard on tri's, lats, anything to help increase strength and after 6 weeks go for a new max I'll definitely have a spotter because I don't know how much strength I've gained. If you're in it for strength or power lifting then yes, have a spotter. If you're bodybuilding then don't worry about it.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I have never ever asked anyone to spot me, if I feel like I'm not going to make the next rep, I stop. Yes it's important to push yourself and that last rep is also important but you will be fine without it.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    So in other words you've never failed at an attempt? If you're bodybuilding I understand. If you're power lifting then I don't. I've felt good and knew I would be able to hit a PR and failed. I've been tired, not feeling it and hit PR's. You never know how it will turn out. You may be 2 reps weaker and not know it. That's why I use a spot, because I'm not sure. That's why my bench is at 425 and incline 380, but then again I power lift.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited February 2018
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    So in other words you've never failed at an attempt? If you're bodybuilding I understand. If you're power lifting then I don't. I've felt good and knew I would be able to hit a PR and failed. I've been tired, not feeling it and hit PR's. You never know how it will turn out. You may be 2 reps weaker and not know it. That's why I use a spot, because I'm not sure. That's why my bench is at 425 and incline 380, but then again I power lift.

I think that those of us you are not understanding, have specific programming. I program in a volume block, a peak, a taper and a deload. I WILL test my max and yes I've failed, but not until after that taper and deload so that I can see the benefits of strength I've acquired across a PROPER daily undulating strength training cycle. Therefore, I won't need a spotter until I'm into my peaking stage as the intensity has greatly increased and my reps/volume have decreased.

I rarely just go in and willy nilly test my max. Unless it's my birthday or I'm extremely pissed off
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I think that those of us you are not understanding, have specific programming. I program in a volume block, a peak, a taper and a deload. I WILL test my max and yes I've failed, but not until after that taper and deload so that I can see the benefits of strength I've acquired across a PROPER daily undulating strength training cycle. Therefore, I won't need a spotter until I'm into my peaking stage as the intensity has greatly increased and my reps/volume have decreased.

I rarely just go in and willy nilly test my max. Unless it's my birthday or I'm extremely pissed off

There again, I power lift, every 6 weeks or so I'll max, I will have a spotter. Even if I feel like a max rep football combine test with 225 I'll have a spotter because I want to better my last PR. Even if I'm doing sets of 10, something may go wrong, you never know. But that's just me, If I'm unsure, I'll ask for a spot. It's not a technical thing, it's a how I feel thing. I have more confidence with a spotter it keeps doubt out of my mind. You could injure yourself in the middle of any rep no matter what the weight and need a spotter. You never know. I'm glad that most people don't fail and know their strength to the pound. I know if I'm 5 lbs heavier I lift more and 5 lbs lighter lift less. Guess I need to weigh myself in the gym before lifting. It's no big deal, it's just an opinion. What works for one may not work for another. This is what works for me.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

There again, I power lift, every 6 weeks or so I'll max, I will have a spotter. Even if I feel like a max rep football combine test with 225 I'll have a spotter because I want to better my last PR. Even if I'm doing sets of 10, something may go wrong, you never know. But that's just me, If I'm unsure, I'll ask for a spot. It's not a technical thing, it's a how I feel thing. I have more confidence with a spotter it keeps doubt out of my mind. You could injure yourself in the middle of any rep no matter what the weight and need a spotter. You never know. I'm glad that most people don't fail and know their strength to the pound. I know if I'm 5 lbs heavier I lift more and 5 lbs lighter lift less. Guess I need to weigh myself in the gym before lifting. It's no big deal, it's just an opinion. What works for one may not work for another. This is what works for me.

I think I was misreading what you meant for yourself, that you just like to have a spotter, period. But I think that you were assuming we don't max out ever. Sorry, just a bit of confusion.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Sometimes you need a spotter. That's all...some people say they don't need one because they stop a rep or 2 early or they never max. I understand that if you're a body builder and you flex while you lift. But as for power lifting you're gonna push the limits or you're just sand bagging your workouts. I wish I were one of those people that never fail, but then again I wouldn't be pushing myself either. Like I said, I max out every 6-8 weeks, but in between I push some sets to the edge and may need a spotter then too. I never said take each set to failure. I don't know why someone would say that. I've never seen someone do that ever. That's just stupid. What I said was if you've never failed how do you know what you can do? Even if you calculate everything out there's still to many variables to be dead on correct. I know most power lifters PR is higher in the gym than their meet PR's.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Sometimes you need a spotter. That's all...some people say they don't need one because they stop a rep or 2 early or they never max. I understand that if you're a body builder and you flex while you lift. But as for power lifting you're gonna push the limits or you're just sand bagging your workouts. I wish I were one of those people that never fail, but then again I wouldn't be pushing myself either. Like I said, I max out every 6-8 weeks, but in between I push some sets to the edge and may need a spotter then too. I never said take each set to failure. I don't know why someone would say that. I've never seen someone do that ever. That's just stupid. What I said was if you've never failed how do you know what you can do? Even if you calculate everything out there's still to many variables to be dead on correct. I know most power lifters PR is higher in the gym than their meet PR's.

There are plenty of top powerlifters who only fail reps at meets.

Whose training program and system doesn't permit failure during training.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    nknis8556 wrote: »
    Hi all--I've been looking over quite a few of the beginner/intermediate weight training programs posted in the link provided in the sticky thread up top, and many of them recommend progressive overload with 5 or so reps of traditional barbell bench presses. I've avoided the barbell in the past when I don't go to the gym with a regular workout partner, since it simply doesn't seem safe to push an appropriate amount of weight (viz., 5 reps with the last being close to failure) without a spotter. I've been using dumbbells instead. I have no problem asking Random Dude #352 to spot for a set, but doing so for several sets is just inconsiderate.

So, any advice is appreciated. Stick with dumbbells? Go lower, "safe" weight on the barbell, and, if so, increase reps?

Thanks!

I think you should do a few sets leading up to your 5 rep set, but I will say when I started out doing the Bench I had the same thought and I'd ask someone to help with each set. Id pick someone and I'd ask hey are you gonna be around for a few more and most are actually more than happy to help, most people seem to like spotting. If you can sense that someone has no interest don't bother though they won't help and theuy'll just lift the bar up and screw up your set, hate that, I"ve had that happen to me before.
  • eqkimble1
    eqkimble1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    Two thoughts. First change the progressive over load to drop sets or reduced pyramids. When you max out the weight will be less.... easier to rerack as we always feel failure coming. Second. Use a Smith Machime with safety stops set properly.... the mental security will help you push past your limit with no spotter. Don’t dump weights. Dumping weights can cause excessive strain on the shoulder and rotator cuff ... especially if you get to an awkward angle and try to “save” the bar if things go wrong. Good luck. Stay safe. And keep lifting.