What do u tell urself during a workout??

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I keep telling myself its just another 5...10 mins...etc and just keep pushing through/keep going. Mostly I keep my workouts to around 30 mins so I don't get bored.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    I just stick to light weights so I'm able to finish my workouts and enjoy it, after 2 months, I'm toning nicely all over.

As far as cardio, I started with walking, I couldn't do more than 2000 per day, now I can regularly do 10k easily, I've moved on from that and am jogging, again, started at no jog and now I'm doing the couch to 5k.

I mostly avoid bodyweight exercises for now but I can see myself dabbling with it doing pull ups and all that a couple months from now when I'm out of the obesity weight range.

I don't talk or motivate myself during a workout.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    I usually time my sets with a stopwatch.

I read a book or magazine between sets.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Many times I have told myself to go at my pace and it is okay to do less to begin with. If something is too hard right now it does not mean it always will be. It is okay to do a 10 minute workout instead of 20-30 minutes today. It is okay to walk .5 miles or 5000 steps a day this week and a little more next week. I will get there gradually. "Rome wasn't built in a day."

Telling myself I am almost done. I'm doing great. I did a thing I couldn't do before.

Listening to music or a podcast helps distract me.
    Having a workout partner can be motivating sometimes. Other times it is annoying.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't have to tell myself anything because I've learned to choose things that I actually enjoy. I hike. I compete in powerlifting. I like ice skating. I enjoy swimming and Pole Fitness. I love yoga. Basically just do things like get you moving that don't make you dread doing them. If you do something that you find fun, it will never seem like a chore.

I enjoy the things I do too. You never have an internal monologue though?

Nah, I don't personally. For me, it's just a habit that supports my goals. I just do it. During a set I'm thinking about good form and getting the most out of the lift. But overall, I listen to music or a podcast and just kind of cruise. Nothing more going on for an internal monologue than that for me. YMMV (and does. It's all good)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Cardio:

"Just one more *kitten* minute, that's nothing you've got this! Move!!! 1 more minute! One *kitten* minute, just keep going, don't you dare slow down! Keep moving, faster, faster. You've got this!! GO ON! COMMON YOU *kitten* YOU CAN *kitten* DO THIS... YOU'RE MADE FOR THIS *kitten*"

And I just survive 1 minute at a time... just 1 minute.. And my cardio is in total 60 min 3x per week... But I brake it up into 1 min at a time.. I don't usually need to do that cause these days my mind goes blank and I just feel the music and keep at it while loving it (I used to hate it)

And then there's lifting:

"Lift that *kitten*! You've got this! It's *kitten* easy! Just 1 more rep!!! You can do one more rep! JUST 1 MORE REP!"

And now you think I'm crazy but that's ok lol.

For machine cardio my internal monologue is "am I done yet, am I done yet, am I done yet, am I done yet. Lol! I hate the winter when I have to do it indoors. My outdoor cardio is usually a circuit of a specific distance so I just kind of listen to music or a podcast and cruise through it.

And I don't think your crazy. I do think it kind of funny though.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Sometimes I break it down into songs.... like I want to do 30mins and 3mins is a very rough average of a song so I say to myself 'I'm going to just run/lift/powerwalk for 10 songs"

Other times I'll focus on how I'll spend 4 times this 30mins on the sofa watching tv tonight so hard can this little input of time be?

I also picture myself in an outfit I'd love to wear or remind myself mentally of what I've achieved before ("you ran this last week! you CAN do it today. You're even better equipped than you were last week!")
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I watch the clock and tell myself I can go just 30 more seconds... or just one more rep. With my asthma, I really have to watch out and decide if this is just breathlessness from being out of shape, or an asthma attack coming on. So I have to remember it's okay to slow it down, and listen to my body. As far as staying motivated?? I'm still working on that one myself. I don't particularly like working out in the first place, but training myself to do something I enjoy this spring and summer is what's keeping me going so far this year. I want to hike the mountain and not die this year. So I suppose having a solid goal in mind is a good thing.
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Break it into small steps.

I will go to the gym.
    I'm here now so I might as well get on the machine
    OK now I'm on I'll set it up for the hour, but I can stop when I want.
    Feeling a bit tired, five minute more.
    That wasn't so bad, five minutes more
    and so on.

The other thing is to take time to sit down and ask why you're doing any of this. The GW is just a number, why that number? what is it you want to be able to do? With who? When? Have that clear in your head and focus on that goal when you're feeling weak.

"I'm doing this because" is the thing that will keep us going through the times when we feel tired and stressed. Knowing the answer, internalizing it and keeping it as part of who we are is what will help us get to that goal.
  • l4ur4j4d4
    l4ur4j4d4 Posts: 19 Member
    That’s why I do a lot of classes, because I know after half an hour I’ll probably walk out of the gym either through boredom or I’ll feel like I can’t do anymore, even though realistically I can! If you do a class you have to stay there the duration and you get lots more out of your workout. Plus there’s so many to choose from (depending on your gym) and I’ll mix them up so I don’t get bored of the classes!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Well, this morning it was mostly about "Why the hell would a Russian curler dope????"
    Like, for reaaaallll.

• BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Well, this morning it was mostly about "Why the hell would a Russian curler dope????"

Maybe the question is "Why would a Russian Curler test positive?"

I believe Ben Johnston later admitted that he was taking steroids but not stanozolol which he was caught for. Someone slip our Russian friend a little mickey perhaps? Someone unhappy to have been dropped from the Russian, sorry OAR, team?