How do I find a Reliable workout partner???

Kaialaia808
Kaialaia808 Posts: 4 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
What’s the best way to Find a dependable work out buddy. I’m Interested in building muscle mass and having Great laughs while We get FIT together!

Replies

• swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    I actually have a workout buddy and it's great - we have been working out together for little over a year. He was a co worker, then we found out we had the same gym, and then I asked if he could help me because he is very serious about fitness and I was just starting out. He pushes me, but it's fun as well - before and after the workout is when we chat, the workout itself is all business. We make rag on each other mercilessly if one of us skips the gym (without a good reason, anyway!). But we can work out alone - we both know what workout we are on - but working out together is better. Maybe see if anyone is at the gym about the same time of day and go from there?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Rely on yourself. Lack of a partner is just another excuse.

It's a challenge enough relying on yourself to workout without risking further disappointment by having to rely on one more person.

If someone wants to join you sometimes, that's a nice bonus, and can definitely be lots of fun.

But you can't work out at all if you can't make yourself work out. Best wishes for your fitness goals!

This. Make don't depend on anyone else. If someone comes along and you are compatible fine, but don't count on it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Ditto on don't count on it, you'll be better off.

You can find a partner for random, occasional things like a hike or a class or something, but for the main of it, you don't want to rely on anyone.

I have a friend that I could workout with, he's invited me a couple times, and I love the guy, but I think it's easier to just do our own thing on our own time without the distraction. We don't really have the same goals or things we like doing and I don't want to feel like I'm slowing him down or whatever (which would most probably happen).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You can't. This is down to you and you alone.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    I tried. I thought my SO would be a reliable workout partner as she had said she wanted to lose weight and start running.
    However, we have worked out twice together in the past year. If I didn't have my own plans/goals/systems, her excuses would have meant A LOT of missed workouts.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    You have to rely on yourself! I've had friends that say they want to be work out buddies, it never happens. Or I find that if you're not really at the same fitness level it can hinder your workouts. I started plugging away on my own and found my groove. My husband started at the same time, but we went to the gym at different times of the day. Now we go together and usually workout together but we have and understanding. If his work out isn't working for me, or he doesn't like mine, then see you when it's time to go home! It's fun to have that time together but at the end of the day, we are both there to work on our own personal goals.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    I built a home gym and while my SO and I workout at the same time (and it is nice) we don't do the same thing. We are available if the other needs some help but beyond that we do our own thing. We chat a little bit but not as much as one might think when occupying the same space for an hour, I guess once you are focused in on the workout you really don't worry about chatting.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    I am ordinarily a "familiar group" kind of person, but when I stepped out of my comfort zone and joined a gym? It was very empowering. I have free weights at home, but joined to be able to take classes and mix up my cardio. I was very nervous my first time there, but soon just enjoyed the "me" time. Then I brought a friend with me (who swears I used Piyo to try and kill her), and I found myself feeling some kind of way because my friend was now in my special place, LOL...

Then she said she was going to join, and I got all excited to have someone to go with. When class rolled around, she called and said she wasn't joining after all, and I was disappointed and relieved at the same time, if that makes sense. I think it was because I found myself attempting to base my attendance on my buddy's attendance, and that was not even a little bit cool.

Yes, it's nice to occasionally have someone to buddy-system with, but I find that going it alone is a lot more beneficial to me. B)
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Craig's list. There's a lot of great people on there willing to help a bruddah out.
  • SusanMcMc
    SusanMcMc Posts: 252 Member
    I workout at home most days using Daily Burn for the core of the workout and rely on their Facebook groups and live chats to get that workout buddy accountability. Not a good fit for everyone but it really works for me.