What are your favorite sports to watch and play?

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    Pool anyone ?

9dcg13ojuwse.gif

Controversial but is pool a sport? Or a game? Like chess or poker?

I would say sport, personally. It takes a mastery of physical skill...hand-to-eye coordination...

and there's a ball!

...that YOU move...I think it's probably a sport. I think like English Darts and Archery are sports. Riflery or the guys who do like the cowboy target shooting...that's a sport imo.

Now...the guys who make trebuchets and throw pumpkins...that's a tough one. I'm thinking no...it's definitely a competition, however. Maybe if they did it for time so that had to move quickly or something.

dunno.... if billiards is a sport, why not archery?

it's not on the same level as basketball or hockey, but yeah.... it's a sport.

I DO think Archery is a sport.

I also log archery workouts, too...I'm not competing, but...it's a fantastic way to get some steps and you do use your back muscles.

If it's in the olympics...imo it's definitely a sport. They have a like a whole group of people who argue about it so I trust them.

oops... I misread that.

more coffee needed!!

wait.

is coffee drinking a sport? (please say 'yes'.)

I do believe I would win any coffee drinking! Sunday I had 7 cups and could have had more if I had the energy to make them

I accept the challenge.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    edited February 2018
    Merkavar wrote: »
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    Pool anyone ?

9dcg13ojuwse.gif

Controversial but is pool a sport? Or a game? Like chess or poker?

I would say sport, personally. It takes a mastery of physical skill...hand-to-eye coordination...

and there's a ball!

...that YOU move...I think it's probably a sport. I think like English Darts and Archery are sports. Riflery or the guys who do like the cowboy target shooting...that's a sport imo.

Now...the guys who make trebuchets and throw pumpkins...that's a tough one. I'm thinking no...it's definitely a competition, however. Maybe if they did it for time so that had to move quickly or something.

dunno.... if billiards is a sport, why not archery?

it's not on the same level as basketball or hockey, but yeah.... it's a sport.

I DO think Archery is a sport.

I also log archery workouts, too...I'm not competing, but...it's a fantastic way to get some steps and you do use your back muscles.

If it's in the olympics...imo it's definitely a sport. They have a like a whole group of people who argue about it so I trust them.

oops... I misread that.

more coffee needed!!

wait.

is coffee drinking a sport? (please say 'yes'.)

I do believe I would win any coffee drinking! Sunday I had 7 cups and could have had more if I had the energy to make them

I accept the challenge.

Awesome! I'll drink you under the table! And over the table and under and over and under and over and under because by the time we're done with this contest we will be buzzing! That would actually be nice. I can't remember the last time I had a good coffee buzz
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Basketball, as a player and watcher. Lately, I've developed an appreciation for 5ks, I'd like to join a half marathon later this year after losing another 60 pounds.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Hockey is the one true sport. All other sports are just for killing time or staying in shape until hockey season comes back. :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Hockey is the one true sport. All other sports are just for killing time or staying in shape until hockey season comes back. :)

Oklahoma? Is that near Toronto, eh?
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    I would love to do medieval combat, it's more of a European sport. Glad this stuff is slowly catching on in NA.
    https://youtu.be/F4zU2gd7QCE[/video]
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    I would love to do medieval combat, it's more of a European sport. Glad this stuff is slowly catching on in NA.
    https://youtu.be/F4zU2gd7QCE[/video]

There is a place near Raleigh where they do this :D

I just...

I'm thinking this is a bad idea.

If boxing is a bad idea to me...hitting each other in the face with shields has GOT to be a bad idea.

I'm glad it exists, however.

The guys doing longsword and *kitten* sword fighting are awesome!

I'm glad that back in the day they wrote journals...its really interesting!

https://youtu.be/5zueF4Mu2uM

Just an interjection.....if boxing is done right the objective is to hit without getting hit...;)
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    That's so cool it's in an area near you. I would never consider boxing because it messes with the brain.. but wouldn't mind taking a mace in the face. :|

Love this stuff. It must be the Scandinavian blood in me that wants to fight. :D
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    I picked up a heavy bag and double-ended bag...for home...boxing stuff seems like a fantastic option when you cannot leave your place.

Maybe its raining...maybe you need to parent children.

Just from *that* simple aspect...it would be hard not to recommend imo.

You can shadowbox with no equipment and anywhere! On vaction, no problem!

Wonderful martial sport...and for real training and weight loss tool, or set of tools or...idk how to describe...it is less expensive and way more fun than a treadmill imo

Yes, seeing I spent 35 yrs involved in the sport I'm probably a little biased. As a person gets older, or if they start at an older age I believe sparring should either be very light or eliminated from the workouts, but e everything else about the training aspect can stay the same. It is like a furnace for burning calories when done in the traditional interval style of 3 min work 1 min rest for the duration of the workout.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

Oklahoma? Is that near Toronto, eh?

Hahaha... I wish! I would move to Canada in a heartbeat... but then again, I'm so cold natured I don't know if I could survive one winter. I have to wear several layers when I go to the rink.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    I am sure nobody will be surprised that my favorite sport to play is tennis. I wish I had started out at a much younger age, rather than once my kids were in school. Growing up I did gymnastics, and rode horses (yes...over jumps). Played a few years of softball as well. In my 20s I played in a publishing industry volleyball league...not the best sport for someone under 5'3"...on the other hand I am a surprisingly good basketball player for someone of my stature.

As far as sports I enjoy as a spectator, aside from tennis, gymnastics, and equestrian events, I love hockey...guess it's the combination of strength, speed, and finesse that appeals to me. While I enjoy an afternoon at the ballpark, or stadium, I don't watch a lot of baseball or football on television...at least not until playoff time. Similarly, even though I went to a basketball school ("Let's Go Orange"), I only start watching college hoops in March. I do adore the olympics...there's just something about seeing the best athletes in the world doing what they do, even though for most of them it's not going to mean huge financial reward, or more than fleeting fame. Over the past week or so I have been utterly captivated by some of the snowboarding and skiing events, particularly the aerial events...slopestyle, the halfpipe, etc)...I think the addition of the "X-Games" type of events has improved the content of the Winter Games. Of course enjoy the figure skating too.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Hockey is the winner for me, but FAR better live than on TV. It’s the opposite of football that way. If you can get within 10 rows or so of the ice at a high level game (Juniors, College, NHL) you get a sense of how big the players are, and more importantly, how fast the game moves.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Full contact butterfly collecting, shark tag and bean bag.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    My favorite sport to watch is football. My favorite watch to play is boxing.