Losing Weight with Crohn's Disease

I fell off the band wagon for myfitnesspal and I need to get back to it since I've gained weight and am super uncomfortable. The biggest challenge I face is that I have Crohn's disease and eating "healthy" for me doesn't always work well with my digestion. Too many salads, veggies, fruits, etc. can and will cause havoc on my digestion. I'm overweight and a part of that is my medication. My first goal is to get down to my original weight when I started myfitnesspal...

How do I even start? I don't want to re-activate my Crohn's issues but I also desperately need to lose weight. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    For weight loss all you need to do is stick to your calorie goal. Try to eat a variety of different foods so you get balanced nutrition, but if salad doesn't work for you you don't have to force it. Discuss a multivitamin with your doctor, it may help you cover all your bases since your food choices are more limited.

I think these two links are very helpful in getting the most out of MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first covers accurate logging and some of the tools in MFP to help you make things easier. The second discusses caloric needs and setting goals. These two posts completely changed my MFP experience and helped me be much more successful, so I hope they do the same for you.

~Best wishes on your journey
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2018
    I also have Crohn's disease (though I had a total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy) and gastroparesis so I understand the struggle especially wth meds (i am on 7 prescriptions and at least 3 cause increased appetite and weight gain). I'm not overweight but I have to work hard to maintain.