Losing 60 pounds to join the Navy

jldav19
jldav19 Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2018 in Getting Started
Hi everyone, my name is JD. I just graduated from College with a degree in Political Economics and I've decided that I want to make a big change. I've always been interested in joining the Navy. In high school I let myself be talked out of it. I recently had a dear family friend who passed away who was a retired Navy vet, and he always spoke so highly of his time in the service. Attending his service at Arlington made me rethink things and I started exploring my options with an Officer Recruiter.

However I was about 60 pounds over the weight limit for my height. At my weigh in I was 223 pounds and I was horrified because I didn't think I was over 200. Denial gets you I guess.

Anyway, the recruiter was extremely nice about it and still took me seriously. I have since gone on a low calorie diet, eating a lot of fruits and veggies, salmon, sweet potatoes and limiting my intake of sweets. I don't feel deprived, but I've still managed to lose ten pounds in about a month. Currently I am 213, and have 50 pounds to go.

I know that this is possible, if I want it bad enough. I've also started working out some, walking and jogging daily on a treadmill that I bought for my apartment. I hope there are other people here with similar goals (not military necessarily, but just to get in shape for something that is important to them).

Let's do this together!!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    as a naval officer of 14 years - i wish you luck! aim for sustainable weight loss and don't do anythign insane (I see my enlisted guys do this everytime the PFA comes up for discussion)
  • jldav19
    jldav19 Posts: 2 Member
    I've tried crazy diets before and always burned out super quickly because I felt deprived. This time I decided to do it in a more moderate way, by eating low calorie healthy foods so that I would still have room in my "diet" for cookies and sweets occasionally. I also have started a habit of filling my plate, then cutting what I initially gave myself in half. I put one half in a tupperware and eat the other half. Usually I'm not hungry anymore and have come to realize that a lot of my problem is serving sizes that are just too dang large. I don't feel deprived or like I can't eat the things I want, I killed a whole box of girl scout cookies in two days, and still lost weight this week. I think realizing what is and is not sustainable for me was a big deal. I love sweets, I have to make a little wiggle room for them in my diet, which means for other meals I need to make healthier choices.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    My son just graduated Navy boot camp on 12/14/18. He is in San Antonio right now for A-school. I wish you the best. My son is 20 years old.
  • I am a retired Navy Chief get with your recruiter and get their Physical fitness test for your age this will give you a goal to reach and get you on the right track
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Tamie girl- I live in San Antonio Tx! My Daughter Navy also but in California at the moment.They move her a lot tho so could end up anywhere. I lost 50lbs Daughter lost weight so their trying to bulk her up she had nothing to loose. She also the shortest lol 😂 so she gets the jobs no one wants in small corners to low moving objects.

Pltjess- Good luck on the MEPS