Thoughts On Fasting?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @emmydoodles83 I was just talking to someone about their experience with the Socratic method and he said that his experience was that it *didn't* presume intelligence or critical thinking and that it seemed inherently condescending to him. So while it doesn't come across that way to me, I may be an exception.

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I can see I shot myself in the foot here, just gonna bow out somewhat less gracefully, and work on my assumptions on the intents of others. If someones intent truly is to make someone else feel stupid then, I guess living with themselves is hopefully punishment enough.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I knew someone who put their dogs on this type of fast. He said he did it for their longevity. UGH

My older dog used to eat only a few days a week. I always made sure she had food but she ignored it most of the time. She was very active and lean. Then I got a puppy who would eat anything, all day long. So the older dog had to start eating or her sister dog would gobble up her food! Five years later, we still have to watch them eat to make sure that the younger one doesn't eat both dogs' food! I think that many dogs, like wild animals, still eat like hunters. Catch something, eat it, wait until you're hungry, catch something else!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Destinyy wrote: »
    @kimny72 Okay, maybe I’m a bit mistaken but I had assumed I made it pretty clear that I didn’t know much about the topic, which is why I am asking the question. So, if you would like to ask questions, this is not the thread to do so. Not being rude, of course, just not sure how your response has benefitted this thread in any way.

I'm guessing you have never heard of the Socratic method, huh?

Oh, so you are saying she was specifically using the Socratic method to give the OP a deeper understanding of fasting , interesting that a lot of people seem to do that on here on pretty much every topic. How helpful.

Honestly, did you read my post? I was wondering aloud where the idea that our digestive system needs a break comes from. I ask questions aloud while discussing things IRL all the time. I generally do find it helpful. I apologize that you and the OP found it unhelpful. I will let you all discuss fasting while not asking questions in peace now.

OP, I have not seen any consensus of evidence that fasting is necessary, so I choose not to do it. I tried to do juice fasts back in the day, and got so ornery by dinner time I always gave up. Best of luck.

Your are correct and I apologize that I assumed your intent, it just came across like all the other A-holes on here wanting to make someone feel stupid. Maybe preface it with something else letting the other person know you are thinking through and not badgering them with questions like so many on here do to make someone else feel stupid, it seems the OP was confused as well. I know you have been on here a while so I am pretty confident you have seen it plenty of times.

No need to apologize, I'm sure I make plenty of assumptions here as well. Since OP specifically said this was not a personal decision she was making, but something that they were discussing in her health class, I thought we were looking for thought provoking and wondering. As I said, obviously I misread what OP was looking for. I've typed and retyped a response to your characterization of posters here and I can't settle on a response I'm happy with, as I HAVE been on here awhile and have to assume I'm one of those A-holes you're thinking of, though my intent has never been to make someone feel stupid. I'm gonna chalk this up to my own learning experience and gracefully bow out since I have nothing else to add about fasting.

My apology was sincere, and did not assume you were an A-hole.........unless your intent was to be one ;);) but I guess at this point you would have to tell me that was your intent since I am no longer making assumptions. Also really weird but your post came out before mine and I used the phrase bowing out gracefully as well but that was before I even read your post......weird.

• DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    These posts always get out of hand. I appreciate everyone’s responses and helpful answers, however, I’ll make this the last time I post in these discussion boards. So, no need for any further responses here.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 Okay, maybe I’m a bit mistaken but I had assumed I made it pretty clear that I didn’t know much about the topic, which is why I am asking the question. So, if you would like to ask questions, this is not the thread to do so. Not being rude, of course, just not sure how your response has benefitted this thread in any way.

I'm guessing you have never heard of the Socratic method, huh?

Oh, so you are saying she was specifically using the Socratic method to give the OP a deeper understanding of fasting , interesting that a lot of people seem to do that on here on pretty much every topic. How helpful.

Honestly, did you read my post? I was wondering aloud where the idea that our digestive system needs a break comes from. I ask questions aloud while discussing things IRL all the time. I generally do find it helpful. I apologize that you and the OP found it unhelpful. I will let you all discuss fasting while not asking questions in peace now.

OP, I have not seen any consensus of evidence that fasting is necessary, so I choose not to do it. I tried to do juice fasts back in the day, and got so ornery by dinner time I always gave up. Best of luck.

Your are correct and I apologize that I assumed your intent, it just came across like all the other A-holes on here wanting to make someone feel stupid. Maybe preface it with something else letting the other person know you are thinking through and not badgering them with questions like so many on here do to make someone else feel stupid, it seems the OP was confused as well. I know you have been on here a while so I am pretty confident you have seen it plenty of times.

No need to apologize, I'm sure I make plenty of assumptions here as well. Since OP specifically said this was not a personal decision she was making, but something that they were discussing in her health class, I thought we were looking for thought provoking and wondering. As I said, obviously I misread what OP was looking for. I've typed and retyped a response to your characterization of posters here and I can't settle on a response I'm happy with, as I HAVE been on here awhile and have to assume I'm one of those A-holes you're thinking of, though my intent has never been to make someone feel stupid. I'm gonna chalk this up to my own learning experience and gracefully bow out since I have nothing else to add about fasting.

My apology was sincere, and did not assume you were an A-hole.........unless your intent was to be one ;);) but I guess at this point you would have to tell me that was your intent since I am no longer making assumptions. Also really weird but your post came out before mine and I used the phrase bowing out gracefully as well but that was before I even read your post......weird.

No worries :drinker:
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    @PAV8888 the conversation ended hours ago. I did not say that I thought it was beneficial to humans. I just wanted thoughts and opinions that were based on facts about the subject. As mentioned in the original post, it was a topic of discussion in a health class of mine. I appreciate your willingness to respond, however, I’ve gathered what I needed. Thank you.
  • TheFlyingMouse
    TheFlyingMouse Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fasting is fine in moderation and if done correctly. But you cannot live an active lifestyle and continually fast. If you want to train for a triathlon don't fast. If you want to improve your meditation skills - do some fasting.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888 the conversation ended hours ago. I did not say that I thought it was beneficial to humans. I just wanted thoughts and opinions that were based on facts about the subject. As mentioned in the original post, it was a topic of discussion in a health class of mine. I appreciate your willingness to respond, however, I’ve gathered what I needed. Thank you.

Late to the party... that is my middle name!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Late to the party... that is my middle name!

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get scolded for being insulting because you asked a question.
    But, if you don't think it's good enough for dogs...why would you think it's good enough for humans?

• DesOdhi
    edited February 2018
    Options

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get scolded for being insulting because you asked a question.

Please stop. This has gone on long enough. I have not scolded anyone. I have however said that a question seems rhetorical and is unhelpful. I also thanked everyone for their time and effort.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    These posts always get out of hand. I appreciate everyone’s responses and helpful answers, however, I’ll make this the last time I post in these discussion boards. So, no need for any further responses here.

I think this seems to be an over-reaction. And a bunch of assumptions to boot. A whole lot of misunderstanding going on.

OP I would urge you to stay on the discussion boards.

Reread this thread with less defensiveness. I don't think Kimney meant to belittle you in reaction to your first post.

Instead Kimney was just giving some rationale/reasons, arguing against the
    Ops presumption that fasting is good to rest your digestive system.

It just seems that this could be much ado about nothing. Nothing to feel angry or hurt about, so it seems to me.

The internet is a hard place to communicate in. Without tone of speech/inflections, sometimes things come across as sarcasm that are not.

Sometimes it is best to give the benefit of a doubt when things can be taken in more than one way on a thread.