Enlightened ice cream gah

Options
2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The only reason I tried Halo Top was the gushing praise of it I found here. Being in a local market blessed with Blue Bell, I also tried their No Sugar Added Vanilla. The calories are similar, but the Blue Bell No Sugar Added Vanilla, just the plain vanilla, was a more pleasant treat than any of the Halo Top varieties I tried. No, I didn't try very many Halo Top, either. I only wish Blue Bell had more flavor variety in their No Sugar Added line. I know they could do their added strawberries easily.
  • ImNancyLynn
    ImNancyLynn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I Love one flavor of the Enlightened, Bananas Foster! Soooo good but it does give me a bit of a tummy rumble. I have it very rarely! One thing you must do with Halo top or Enlightened is to let it sit at room temp for a while. it is not creamy right away. I know its hard to wait for ice cream. If you eat one serving instead of the entire pint you won't have any intestinal distress!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I thought both Halo Top and Enlightened tasted pretty good (at least if you let it soften a bit) and had no digestive issues, but somehow when I want ice cream they aren't what I want -- maybe it's the lack of fat, but they just aren't craveable in the same way for me. Anyway, it seems the digestive reaction to the sugar alcohols is something some get and some do not. I'm lucky, I guess.

The cashew and coconut milk frozen dessert options are a better substitute for me, and do hit the spot perfectly well when I want ice cream, but they are only a small calorie savings* (some of the WF gelato options are pretty low cal, but not compared to Enlightened, and again they actually hit the spot better for me).

*Except for the B&J offerings I've tried, which of course have even MORE calories than the ice cream I'd otherwise get.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have not enjoyed the Halo Top and similar frozen treats. They don't have the same mouth-feel and sense of satisfaction. I can be very good about portion control, so I prefer a reasonable (and tracked) amount of a full-force ice cream.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love Halo Top, usually eat it several times a week. I really like the mouth feel/texture and flavor of Enlightened - to me it tastes thicker and smoother than Halo Top, but I've only found it in bars so far - no pints to be had.

I'm a volume eater, so for me a whole pint of Halo Top is much more satisfying than a tiny little portion of regular ice cream. And every so often I go all out, say "screw the calories" and get a nice, big serving of my favorite "real" ice cream - chocolate peanut butter, the kind with lots of REAL peanut butter in it.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Well in a couple of weeks we in Canada will be able to find out what this Halo Top thing is all about.

Halo Top is life. The pistachio and chocolate varieties are best in my opinion. It does need to sit outside the freezer for maybe 10 minutes before eating, just a heads up.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Well in a couple of weeks we in Canada will be able to find out what this Halo Top thing is all about.

Halo Top is life. The pistachio and chocolate varieties are best in my opinion. It does need to sit outside the freezer for maybe 10 minutes before eating, just a heads up.

^Yes, let it sit out for at least 10 minutes, pistachio and oatmeal cookie are my favs, with chocolate varieties a close second. I'm also a "volume eater" :# and the whole pint is so satisfying, hope you enjoy Canada, let us know what you think!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I wish Halo Top could make me go to the bathroom actually
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is my nemesis. Ice milk is fine too.

I have considered buying an ice cream maker and using things like almond milk, less sugar or Splenda, etc. or something to make it lower calorie. I am not sure how good it will be and am Still looking at recipes.

Has anyone tried this?
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    karamcrizz wrote: »
    Loving the Breyers 270 Dreamy Chocolate and looking forward to trying the new Ben & Jerry’s Moo-phobia.

Like it better than Halo Top.

Me too!!
  • amfmmama
    Options
    How about chilly cow? I just bought this tonight. It is sold in pairs of 2 8oz cups. I have not tried it yet, I will let you know how the cookie dough is!
  • amfmmama
    Options
    ok.... I am liking the ChillyCow... 190 for 8 oz. 12 grams of protein.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When my son was younger he asked what "skinny cow" ice cream was, I explained it as best I could. He thought for a moment and then asked if regular ice cream is called "fat pig". lol. :D
  • karamcrizz
    karamcrizz Posts: 9 Member
    Options

amfmmama wrote: »
    karamcrizz wrote: »
    Loving the Breyers 270 Dreamy Chocolate and looking forward to trying the new Ben & Jerry’s Moo-phobia.

Like it better than Halo Top.

Me too!!

Just tried B&J’s PB Dough. Like Dreamy Chocolate better. :)
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    enlightened is harder on the tummy for me than halo top. I definitely would not down a whole pint. I just had half and regretted it... only a teeny tiny bit. I'll totally do it again. Plus, hot chocolate is a flavor unique to them as far as I can find!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Not touching Halo Top or similar ice creams.

Not after what happened to me after eating sugar free gummy bears...
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It seems to be something people either love or hate. Personally, if I'm looking for a sub for ice cream, I go for froyo.

Froyo has pretty much the same amount of calories than a lot of ice creams though (ok, maybe not Haagen Dazs or B&J).

The ones I like run around 125 calories for 4 oz. Plus, I don't seem to have the same problem portioning it out. Should have clarified that in my first comment (several days ago now).
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Halo Top doesn't bother me in the least, and I'm super grateful for it because the sugar in regular ice cream screws terribly with my blood sugar, but with Halo Top the fiber and protein slow down the sugar absorption for me, so I can actually eat it without feeling horrible. The type of sugar alcohol in HT, erythritol, has no effect on my digestive system; however, the maltitol that is in a lot of other brands is from the pits of the dark corners of Hell itself, I'm sure. The Kroger "Low Cow" version and some other brands have that maltitol and it makes me not like living for about a day.