Anyone get confused?

Hi,
Anyone ever get confused about all the different programs out there? Keto, WW, low fat? Keto/low carb makes most sense to me scientifically- but I am not sure I could stick to it long term? I am lifetime member of WW, but am always so hungry on it. So, in effect I am not really sticking to anything - I just keep going back and forth. I have started IF and like that.

I am 60and have about 30-40pounds to lose.

Thanks!

Replies

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    I have given up in learning all the diets. At last in Denmark a New "lose 8 pounds in a week " appear each month.
    I think I have found my method and i will Stick to that
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    It most definitely can be confusing. And unnecessary. All you need, to lose weight, Is a calorie deficit.

Meet your Macros ( fat, fiber, protein) to feel your best... It really is that simple. Believe it or not.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Lynn5707 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone ever get confused about all the different programs out there? Keto, WW, low fat? Keto/low carb makes most sense to me scientifically- but I am not sure I could stick to it long term? I am lifetime member of WW, but am always so hungry on it. So, in effect I am not really sticking to anything - I just keep going back and forth. I have started IF and like that.

Thanks!

I count calories by doing MFP, and I excercise to burn more calories and eat many of the excercise calories back.To me that makes the most sense, and it is working.
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Yes sorry I mean calorie counting.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Thanks everyone! I think I am making it harder than it should be, going from one “therory” to another. I am going to update my macros today, and start CICO and increase my walking and see how it goes. I need something that works, but is also something I can live with. Thanks again!

I think you hit the nail on your head with that last comment. It’s possible that one diet is hypothetically more effective than the others, but three things we know for sure about losing weight are 1) any diet that puts you in a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss, but 2) the weight will only come off and stay off if you stick with your deficit and make long-term dietary changes, and 3) sticking with it is hard! I was paralyzed for a long time by all the options until I decided to really focus on the sticking to it part by making it as easy on myself as possible. Good luck - you can do this!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    MFP makes calorie counting easy - just make sure you double check every item with the label, and weigh it out, before you log. You can prelog your whole day, part of the day, or several days, to make it easier.
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks everyone! I think I am making it harder than it should be, going from one “therory” to another. I am going to update my macros today, and start CICO and increase my walking and see how it goes. I need something that works, but is also something I can live with. Thanks again!

I think you hit the nail on your head with that last comment. It’s possible that one diet is hypothetically more effective than the others, but three things we know for sure about losing weight are 1) any diet that puts you in a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss, but 2) the weight will only come off and stay off if you stick with your deficit and make long-term dietary changes, and 3) sticking with it is hard! I was paralyzed for a long time by all the options until I decided to really focus on the sticking to it part by making it as easy on myself as possible. Good luck - you can do this!

A light bulb went off for me when you said your were paralyzed with options - I think that is me. Like I said I go from one to another and do nothing. I do know eating junk doesn’t help, so am going to start with that and begin cutting out processed. So I am going to count calories, be reasonable with choices. This is something I haven’t done forever, I have always used a “diet”, points, carbs, low fat.

Thank you!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I'm 61 and lost successfully just counting calories and walking daily. I find I feel better if I get a good balance of Protein, carb and fat. I have found if my carbs climb up too high I am hungrier but I eat a balance of all things. I tried all the "Magic diets" and nothing worked as well as just eating less and moving more. As long as you eat a balanced diet there is no need to be miserable.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

A light bulb went off for me when you said your were paralyzed with options - I think that is me. Like I said I go from one to another and do nothing. I do know eating junk doesn’t help, so am going to start with that and begin cutting out processed. So I am going to count calories, be reasonable with choices. This is something I haven’t done forever, I have always used a “diet”, points, carbs, low fat.

Thank you!
    Just be careful with what you cut out. You don't eat things because you want to be fat (I assume) but because you like them. You know yourself best. How do you feel/act when you tell yourself you can't have something you like? No foods are "fattening", it's eating too much over time that makes us gain weight. All diets work by reducing your total calorie intake, but they sell by demonizing one or more foods or nutrients, or telling you to time intake in a special way, or combine/not combine certain foods, or take a pill, or do special exercises, or sleep hanging by your toes. The selling of these various concepts, is what makes you go "oh, that makes sense!" and then "oh, i'm confused!".
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited February 2018

Thank you!

I encourage you to challenge this thought as it's a result of all the marketing that's been thrown at you about "diets". For one thing "junk" isn't really a clearly defined concept, but the idea will cause you to feel guilty when you eat something you identify as junk or deprived when you don't eat something you enjoy because your perceive it as "junk".
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2018
    You have to find what works for you and is sustainable.
    No matter how they package it, or what they name it, it is all eating less calories than you are burning for weight loss. It works. MFP gives the control to each of us to choose the foods we are going to eat and find out what works best for each of us. Barring any medical condition, it is all about eating less calories than we are burning for weight loss.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I don't get confused because I know how I like to eat. I've been at it for a while, though, and had enough time to tweak my diet to my liking. All the different programs do one thing: help you reduce calories. Some people do better on one program, others on another, and yet others like me would rather make up their own program. Just pick any diet that feels like it would be easier and tastier, or log whatever foods you eat without an official program, count your calories in any case, and you are guaranteed to lose weight if you're counting correctly no matter what diet you choose.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Hi,

Thanks!

See, I'm the opposite. Keto (as I usually see it explained) seems like voodoo to me. And not based on good science at all.

Now if eating KETO helps someone with sticking to their "diet" and helps them lose weight, I've no issue. But too much of what I read about KETO makes no sense to me and any of the science I see points to it being no better or worse for weight loss than any other calorie restriction when adhered to.

Anyway, I'm using MFP more or less as designed and it's working for me.