Toxic workout environment

Options
So I go to a gym that is newly built (5 years old) and as you would guess it has a large portion of members because it has the nicest equipment of any gym in the area. My problem is that while I love the equipment I feel like the weight room is a bunch of d bags that act really cliche and make the place uncomfortable. I go same time everyday which fits my schedule best and I see the same regular people for the most part and would think that eventually they would be warm and friendly. I feel like they are judging most people in the gym who aren’t at their level and I’m not an insecure person and I definitely feel this environment. I am always open to helping others if they need a spot or sharing equipment as well as being supportive as possible and trying not to pass judgement because everyone has their own struggles. Do any of you have a gym where you feel some of the regulars are toxic to the environment? It is not enough to make me change gyms or times I go there but it is annoying and I wonder if it’s just humankind to act this way

Replies

• BrianJohnson2015
    BrianJohnson2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your right about the d bag comment I’m sure they are decent people but when you come off as unapproachable or rude it qualifies to me when you see it time and time again
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I can agree with the OP on some of this though, there are some people at the gym you just get that vibe from. I don't wear headphones at the gym which is the equivalent of walking around with a sign that says "talk to me" and while I'm friendly I'm not overly talkative and I respect other peoples space. I just don't wear them because I like to hear my surroundings. Most at my gym are fine but there is one guy who fits the "d-bag" mold and he might be a decent guy but you can't tell from the way he acts in the gym. Completely closed off, spreads out, might as well pee on the equipment he is using. Rather annoying. The guy lifts and should know better gym etiquette but doesn't follow it and that is what will get you a label faster than anything else.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hard to say, for a couple of reasons:

1) we're not there to observe whatever behavior you see - or think you're seeing.
    2) you haven't told us why you think these things about them. Why/how do they seem unapproachable, cocky, or whatever?
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I prefer to avoid the gym all together. The world is your gym and you can change the scenery anytime you want. It smells better too. Kayaking, mountain biking, road biking, hiking, snowshoeing, list is endless just get creative and get out there.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I think there will always be people who are - or appear to be - that way. Whether or not they actually are remains to be discovered.

I'm a bit of a "newbie" at my gym (moved to a new town plus injury finally allowing me to workout like "normal") - enough were I'm guessing some of the regulars believe me to just be a "resolutioner" (even though I started there back in mid-November). Most regulars tend to get a bit annoyed with resolutioners, shoot, even I have.

Now that it's getting into late-ish February, and I'm still showing up 5 days a week, I've noticed a few people seem a bit friendlier. Rather than the glaring "who's this newb using the equipment I wanted to use" the looks are a bit warmer or just indifferent - I'm just another person there working out. I imagine with enough time I may even get to know some of them - it was that way at my last gym. We weren't big into chit chatting, but we could exchange friendly hellos and smiles which is all I really have time for most days anyways LOL.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    See...this might be all in your head..or they really are dbags.
    BUT...
    Who cares, it's not high school anymore. Go there, do your thing and go home. People judge people all the time. Try to not let it bother you.

Perfect advice
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I prefer to avoid the gym all together. The world is your gym and you can change the scenery anytime you want. It smells better too. Kayaking, mountain biking, road biking, hiking, snowshoeing, list is endless just get creative and get out there.

Unless you want to lift weights or the weather is not conducive. Personally I love the idea of snowshoeing. Unfortunately we have not had anywhere near enough snow to Snowshoe... And there is just enough ice on all of the trails to make it dangerous to go hiking...