Toxic workout environment

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I look totally unapproachable when I'm working out.

That's because (unless it's a group run or a specifically social event), I have zero interest in being approached. I don't want conversation when I'm exercising, I'm there for specific reasons that don't include chatting or making friends.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can remember the first day in the gym. I am fat, I don't know what I am doing, their looking and judging, I am weak. In reality they didn't care and I see others that are new with the same anxiety. I go very early in the morning and many keep to to themselves but other will talk. I think that the use of headphones have done more to shut down taking and interaction than anything else.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I wear headphones at the gym and don’t interrupt people during a workout but obviously there is time in between sets unlike other workouts that are constant where you can say a word or 2. I’m saying after you see someone for the 100th time at the gym and they clearly know who you are maybe say what’s up every now and then. Its just my opinion and I see most of you disagree I’m just more about helping and encouraging people instead of being only into myself

This is a very common gym indicator that one wants to be left alone.

IOW: You are the unapproachable one. If you want some interaction, leave your headphones at home.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I wear headphones at the gym and don’t interrupt people during a workout but obviously there is time in between sets unlike other workouts that are constant where you can say a word or 2. I’m saying after you see someone for the 100th time at the gym and they clearly know who you are maybe say what’s up every now and then. Its just my opinion and I see most of you disagree I’m just more about helping and encouraging people instead of being only into myself

This is a very common gym indicator that one wants to be left alone.

IOW: You are the unapproachable one. If you want some interaction, leave your headphones at home.

This exactly. If I've got headphones on(and I always do) all I expect with eye contact is a head tilt or "the nod" and unless there's 2 way eye contact that's not even expected.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This has been mentioned in posts above, but a lot of people aren't going to the gym to be friendly. Coming from someone who has been going to my gym and lifting for over 15 years, people have thought I was rude, when all I want to do is get in my workout with my workout partner and leave. We're not judging newcomers or anyone else, truth be told, we don't really even notice other people. I'm there to get my workout in and get out in the least amount of time possible. If someone says hi, we'll return the greeting, but that's it. My advice is don't take it personal, don't be intimidated, go to the gym, get your buff on, and get out of there :)
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What is more annoying, people making chit chat in the gym or in the sauna?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think you're over-thinking it, dude.

I see plenty of people time and time again at the gym and we don't chit-chat. We're all here for the same reason: get in, exercise, get out, carry on with our lives.

I don't see any mention of what kind of rude things they're doing. Are they saying rude things to you? Not wiping down equipment when they're done?

I've only ever met one rude person at the gym, and I thought she was rude because she literally berated and yelled at another woman for "stealing her machine", when she wasn't even close to it. Now that's rude.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I prefer to avoid the gym all together. The world is your gym and you can change the scenery anytime you want. It smells better too. Kayaking, mountain biking, road biking, hiking, snowshoeing, list is endless just get creative and get out there.

Unless you want to lift weights or the weather is not conducive. Personally I love the idea of snowshoeing. Unfortunately we have not had anywhere near enough snow to Snowshoe... And there is just enough ice on all of the trails to make it dangerous to go hiking...

I live in Washington state so if you don't like getting out in bad weather you can't go outside for half the year. I flip tires, do pull-ups, carry rocks or logs, mountain bike, run I don't let the weather dictate what I do.
    There's a million excuses to avoid working out you just need to focus on the one reason to workout.

I go to the gym. I don't make excuses.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have a resting *kitten* face
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Me, too. AND headphones. Maybe OP goes to my gym? :laugh:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

I have had that my whole life, lol
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Most likely they are just busy working out and focusing on themselves. I tend to just turn off my brain during workouts and sort of concentrate on feeling muscles engage, particularly if lifting. To be fair - it does make people totally unapproachable when they are utterly self-absorbed at the moment. But, that doesn't necessarily mean they are judging, they really probably aren't paying attention. If you actually initiated contact, they might be friendly, or they might be in shock because they were zoned out and didn't notice you existed even if you were right there in front of them 100 times.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    if you don't agree or like what you observe or hear. ignore them, focus on yourself and yr workout...take the best leave the rest.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I get told I'm a bit difficult to approach as I'm more a quiet take things in type of person and therefore that often comes off as standoffish. But I'm really not, I just prefer to watch what's going on and assess things. Especially when it comes to working out, I'm there for a reason and I want to get done what I went there for. So I wear headphones and don't chat a lot (at all actually, unless spoken to and even then I try to keep it short). I'm not all smiley and giggly because I'm working out, and that takes effort and a small amount of pain. But if you met me say at a party and wanted to strike up a chat, I'd be very friendly and like to joke. I wouldn't be judging you or ignoring you but I guess it could come off that way. Maybe that's all your experiencing and the people really don't mean to offend?
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's what I do when I go to the gym, get there, do my thing and go home. But for the first time last week I spoke to a guy that was doing pull down pulling behind his head, his form was terrible and I mean terrible. I went to him to suggest that it would be better pulling at the front (that's what i was always told, less risk of injury etc). The guy told me that he has been training for 25 years, and he knew what he was doing (basically told me to mind my own business to be polite). That will teach me trying to be helpful for once...