Toxic workout environment

124»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yes you are probably right, but i could just see that guy was going to do himself some damage, and I could not say anything, I never meant to tell him what to do or how to do it (as i am not an expert) or criticise him in any way, but I would hate to see someone injuring themselves

But what if he had been doing this particular movement for 25 years without incident? If so, I'd be likely to dismiss advice from random stranger not to do it too.

Advice that may be demonstrably appropriate for the general population isn't always applicable to each individual.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I can remember the first day in the gym. I am fat, I don't know what I am doing, their looking and judging, I am weak. In reality they didn't care and I see others that are new with the same anxiety. I go very early in the morning and many keep to to themselves but other will talk. I think that the use of headphones have done more to shut down taking and interaction than anything else.

This is a feature, not a bug.

I actually remember gyms before Walkmans were widespread - now I feel old. Generally someone had the radio playing. Often very loud.

There were sometimes "gym rats" that spent time hanging out and talking. But there wasn't a lot of eloquent talking and interacting even then.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    wow, this is such illuminating info! Thanks everyone for sharing.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    FWIW, when I first started going to the gym I go to now, I had no interest in getting to know anyone. I just wanted to do my own thing. I even got a few bad vibes from some people. But I eventually realized that it was in my head and I have actually become good friends with several regular members, including one or two of those people I initially thought I was getting a bad vibe from.

You just really never know!
  • foreversnafu
    foreversnafu Posts: 29 Member
    I feel like they are judging most people in the gym who aren’t at their level and I’m not an insecure person and I definitely feel this environment.

Not sure if this a bait thread or not, good job if it is.

If it isn't, well... I personally don't care for socialization or small talk when I'm lifting, and the only people I notice at the gym are those who are bigger than me, or those that are about to injure themselves. Everyone else is insignificant or uninteresting, and this includes scantily clad females. If me brushing you off when you approach me is your definition of a "toxic environment" then please understand that some people go to the gym to get away from people and wind down before they have to go home and deal with the wife and kids.

I personally don't need someone buzzing around me trying to get in my head space when I'm there to lift weights, a minor injury will set you back a few weeks, a real injury will cost you a few months.