5x5 Stronglifts

2»

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    edited March 2018
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Front squats are more quad dominant than back squats. As you have decided to front squat, how do you plan on making up for the reduced stress on your hamstrings?

Not OP and not disagreeing that front squats aren't the way to go, but he's getting plenty of hammie work with deadlifts.

Stronglifts has you doing 1 set of 5 deadlifts once or twice per week (i.e. max 10 reps per week!). Without 3 days of 5x5 back squats per week, i don't think its enough hamstring work.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited March 2018
    Front squats are more quad dominant than back squats. As you have decided to front squat, how do you plan on making up for the reduced stress on your hamstrings?

Not OP and not disagreeing that front squats aren't the way to go, but he's getting plenty of hammie work with deadlifts.

Stronglifts has you doing 1 set of 5 deadlifts once or twice per week (i.e. max 10 reps per week!). Without 3 days of 5x5 back squats per week, i don't think its enough hamstring work.

That's a good point. I'm so far removed from my StrongLifts days I didn't really think about that. I do three different deadlift variations on three different days each week.
  • Erik8484

That's a good point. I'm so far removed from my StrongLifts days I didn't really think about that. I do three different deadlift variations on three different days each week.

I also do 3 different deadlift variations per week! :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

Jefferson and Zerchers FTW! Err, what variations do you do? :flushed:
  • Davidsdottir

Hahaha...I do conventional, sumo, RDL.
  • Yea I’ve been doing 2 or more sets of 5. It’s plenty.
  • Erik8484

Hahaha...I do conventional, sumo, RDL.

Conventional, rack pulls and romanians here, nothing fancy!
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2018
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Good for you with the gains. I would be careful as you add weight you can get injured easy. Also when you finish you circuit 5x5 try doing squats with a bit more reps like 12 10 8 6 for mass or 4 X 10.
    I'm mass gaining so 10 8 5 3 1 for me.
    But hey good work and watch your posture

Do not do this.

If anything Stronglifts has a bit too much volume as written for optimal gains. Extra volume outside of the program will set in fatigue much sooner and effect your progress. There is a method to a program. Adequate stress, recovery, and adaptation. The idea to strength training is creating minimal stress to drive ideal adaptation, not add more stress than needed.

Also bad form is the cause of injury, not more weight by itself exactly. Why bad form compounded with heavier weight is more dicey, it's not the weight at blame. One can injure themselves with bad form with light weight fairly easily. Form is king for progress and prevention of injury.

I think that stronglifts is a good program but I think the rapid progress and ability to squat reasonably heavy weights with mediocre or poor form can lead to injuries if you are not careful.

I ran 5x5 a couple of years back and got up to the weights that the OP is now doing and managed to tweak my back at around this stage.

I am not sure if it was bad form or if the supporting muscles were not as well developed as they could have been, but being essentially bed-ridden for a week sure as hell gave me a scare.

Whilst I do think strong lifts 5x5 is an excellent program, if you are new to lifting and making rapid progress, be careful about always wanting to add weight, especially on your squat.

Don't be afraid to de-load and work on your form to make sure it's as good as you can possibly get it.

back injuries can come quick and are no fun at all. you have plenty of time to squat heavy!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    J_Fairfax wrote: »
    [Whilst I do think strong lifts 5x5 is an excellent program, if you are new to lifting and making rapid progress, be careful about always wanting to add weight, especially on your squat.

Don't be afraid to de-load and work on your form to make sure it's as good as you can possibly get it.

back injuries can come quick and are no fun at all. you have plenty of time to squat heavy!

Agreed.

I also injured my back (a right SI sprain) squatting using Stronglifts early on and there is no doubt that it was due to bad form. Took about 3 yrs off from lifting as a result of this and medical issues.

When I started again, I used Starting Strength instead which mainly uses 3x5 (instead of 5x5) and is a little less stressful at higher weights. It also helped that I read Rip's book and practiced the methods specified in it b4 trying to squat heavy again.
  • Wisdom is with those who deload.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Wisdom is with those who deload.

If the programming is not optimal or the lifter is over reaching, deloads might be necessary to reset. I can see it useful if one believes in intesity based programming, certainly not an automatic need on volume based with adequate intensity for muscle stimulas.

Good programming/coaches allows for proper recovery relative to the intensity and frequency doses.

I haven't had a deload in over a year other than the taper before my meets. My strength is through the roof since switching to optimal programming instead of cookie cutter programs.

Deloads can be literally choke the life out of some programs from decent to terrible.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited March 2018
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Good for you with the gains. I would be careful as you add weight you can get injured easy. Also when you finish you circuit 5x5 try doing squats with a bit more reps like 12 10 8 6 for mass or 4 X 10.
    I'm mass gaining so 10 8 5 3 1 for me.
    But hey good work and watch your posture

Do not do this.

If anything Stronglifts has a bit too much volume as written for optimal gains. Extra volume outside of the program will set in fatigue much sooner and effect your progress. There is a method to a program. Adequate stress, recovery, and adaptation. The idea to strength training is creating minimal stress to drive ideal adaptation, not add more stress than needed.

Also bad form is the cause of injury, not more weight by itself exactly. Why bad form compounded with heavier weight is more dicey, it's not the weight at blame. One can injure themselves with bad form with light weight fairly easily. Form is king for progress and prevention of injury.

yep I injured myself with a 15lb weight one time because my form was a bit off and I didnt realize it. I hear a loud pop in my glute and it knocked me to my knees. needless to say it took months to heal. and trust me at that time I was lifting a lot more than 15lbs prior to that. it was just a day I wanted to do light weights.
  • Deloads are part of the 5x5 program.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Deloads are part of the 5x5 program.

Technically, they are an optional part in response to stalling. Some programs use deloads as a scheduled part of it, irrespective of your progress.
  • Davidsdottir
    Deloads are part of the 5x5 program.

Hmm. They weren't when I ran it five years ago. Must've added that since then.