My full body training plan.. could it be better?

Here's a copy of my current full body programme, please can I have all of your input as to what I should take out and what I should put into it?
I put it together myself and I'm probably not the most knowledgeable or experienced to put a plan together.
do you all think a plan like this will be more effective then a 5 day split training plan?

Full-body 3 times week. M-W-F etc. 2 days rest per week.
Tuesday/Thursday do abs.

(2hours MAX)
Legs - Squat - 3 sets of 10
Calves - calve raises - 3 sets of 15
Thighs - Leg extensions - 3 sets of 20
Shoulders - push press above head - 3 sets of 6
Chest - bench press - 3 sets of 10
Back - one arm dumbell row - 3 sets of 10
Biceps - Preacher curl - 3 sets of 6
Biceps - ez bar curl - 3 sets of 8
Triceps - skull crusher - 3 sets of 6
Traps - Barbell shrug - 3 sets of 6
Traps - Barbell Shrug - 3 reps to failure
Dips - 3 sets of 12
Chin up - 3 sets of 10

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Have you looked through the thread specifically on different training programs - following a professionally developed progressive program will likely get you better results
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Have you looked through the thread specifically on different training programs - following a professionally developed progressive program will likely get you better results

I don't think I have no do you have a link for one of these? and i'll have a look at them.
    Thanks!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    The dips and chin ups are redundant to me if you're lifting weights that are targeting the upper body like your arms and back, I think you should pick either doing the body weight or free weight but not both but that's just me.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Yeah, no. Lots of trap and bicep work but no deads? Look at the stickies at the top of this forum. One of therm has that list of programs in it. Look at it, pick one, and stick to it.
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Yeah, no. Lots of trap and bicep work but no deads? Look at the stickies at the top of this forum. One of therm has that list of programs in it. Look at it, pick one, and stick to it.

Started lifting 6 months ago, and deads are my favorit by far.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    kazane1 wrote: »
    Here's a copy of my current full body programme, please can I have all of your input as to what I should take out and what I should put into it?
    I put it together myself and I'm probably not the most knowledgeable or experienced to put a plan together.
    do you all think a plan like this will be more effective then a 5 day split training plan?

Full-body 3 times week. M-W-F etc. 2 days rest per week.
    Tuesday/Thursday do abs.

(2hours MAX)
    Legs - Squat - 3 sets of 10
    Calves - calve raises - 3 sets of 15
    Thighs - Leg extensions - 3 sets of 20
    Shoulders - push press above head - 3 sets of 6
    Chest - bench press - 3 sets of 10
    Back - one arm dumbell row - 3 sets of 10
    Biceps - Preacher curl - 3 sets of 6
    Biceps - ez bar curl - 3 sets of 8
    Triceps - skull crusher - 3 sets of 6
    Traps - Barbell shrug - 3 sets of 6
    Traps - Barbell Shrug - 3 reps to failure
    Dips - 3 sets of 12
    Chin up - 3 sets of 10

You are doing too much!

Better...

Abs - 1 move
    Squats
    Calf raises
    Bench press
    Chin ups
    Push press
    1 arm row
    Curls
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Looks pretty badly put together in all honesty. Have a read of the thread on Lifting programmes and find something more structured.
  • kazane1
    karsei01 wrote: »
    Seems...like much...2 hours? I'm all done after one.
    Do more compound and less isolation.
    Squat, Deads, chins, dips, rows and bench. Take a look at greyskull LP? or PHAT/PHUL?

I will do thank you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    kazane1 wrote: »

I don't think I have no do you have a link for one of these? and i'll have a look at them.
    Thanks!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Yea that program leaves a lot to be desired. Follow a more established program.

The dips and chin ups are redundant to me if you're lifting weights that are targeting the upper body like your arms and back, I think you should pick either doing the body weight or free weight but not both but that's just me.
    I disagree with this advice in general. Bodyweight movements are an excellent compliment to weights and should be incorporated into almost every plan.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Yea that program leaves a lot to be desired. Follow a more established program.

I disagree with this advice in general. Bodyweight movements are an excellent compliment to weights and should be incorporated into almost every plan.

Indeed. Dips and Chinups/pullups are almost never redundant. Pushups can be redundant but are not necessarily so.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member

dips (chest and triceps) work a completely different set of muscles than pull-ups (back and biceps)
  • kazane1
    Looks pretty badly put together in all honesty. Have a read of the thread on Lifting programmes and find something more structured.

Okay I will, I think I just threw together a load of different exercises tbh. I will look at a different one.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Kazane1,

You repeatedly ask the same questions but you do not follow advice given.

Why is that? Are you a real forum member or employed by the forum to create activity?
  • kazane1
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Kazane1,

You repeatedly ask the same questions but you do not follow advice given.

Why is that? Are you a real forum member or employed by the forum to create activity?

No I am not lol, it’s just I paid for one of my workouts and I didn’t want it to feel like I had wasted my money by just disposing of it but I guess I have just got to cut my losses with it now tbh and start a new plan. After listening to everyone’s advice I’ve now chosen to follow the “phat” workout? Do you know of it? I’ve read that it’s quite a good plan to follow so I think I will enjoy doing that plan. Thanks again for all your helpful advice though it has helped me get to where I’m at now.
  • kazane1
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There's a pretty good run down of some legit programs.

Just slapping something together like this is just going to have you spinning your wheels and it's way too much volume and frankly some unnecessary movements. Willy nilly doing your own thing is going to likely lead to muscular imbalances, recovery issues, and inefficient results among other things.

More is not always better. I've been in and out of gyms much of my life and always thought doing more was better but for the most part I spun my wheels and never really saw the results I wanted...which is why I've been out of gyms as much as I've been in them.

Five years ago I started back to the gym and with a real program in hand. I started back with Starting Strength...I was skeptical because it just seemed like such little work, but I ran the program...it was plenty of work once the weights got heavy and I saw very good results in a very linear fashion. In addition to those compound movements I did pullups and dips as well.

Most full body programs are run 3x per week and consists primarily of compound movements, not a bunch of isolation stuff and typically I see anywhere from 3-6...maybe 8 movements in a given lifting session. A good, efficient training plan should take no longer than an hour really. The only people I know spending more time than that are competitive lifters and body builders...but they didn't start out of the gate with hours of lifting either.

This is good to know and has helped give me greater perspective, thank you!
    I have found a new plan I will be sticking too now and it is the “phat” plan. I think I’ll start seeing results of this plan
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    Learn the muscle groups, learn the workouts whether bodyweight or free weights and what muscles they work and choose which one will work for you and your goals, you have to tailor your workout for you, all of these routines engage the muscles and as long as you put in work, you'll get results.

Just a simple tip to go by, you want bigger muscle, you lift bigger, the more you lift, the more you will realize what certain weights will give you a certain mass until you plateau, it's not rocket science.