which 1 of these 3 plans is best?

2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    goatg wrote: »
    What's wrong with a separate ab program? *runs from thunder

Depends why you need to do extra core, you can do core anytime including on non lifting days as well.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    goatg wrote: »
    Thanks, H. Good to know!

Reading his program is like looking at Chinese, for me. Not that I don't recognize bits and pieces, but it's a lot of information I have to think through; this isn't my language.

It is really curious to me, however, that he seems to really be pounding body groups (e.g., chest day in workout # 2). Whenever I lift, I usually superset different muscle groups (e.g., if I'm doing back & bis, I might superset a wide grip lat pull down + bicep curls with a twist, or whatever). But I guess different approaches for different goals?

Nice to meet you. C.

Exactly, different needs, but the biggest thing that stands out to many of us is that he has way too many sets per workout.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    kazane1 wrote: »
    I’ve chosen the the “phat” workout plan to follow so I’ll just scrap these other plans and make a few changes to the “phat” workout because I don’t have all the equipment. It’s just I paid for one of those workout plans and it wasn’t really working for me but I felt like I was wasting my money just disposing of it. And the split training workout I got of bodybuilding dot com and made a few alterations to it so I thought that one might be okay. But Yeahh I have been lifting for over a year now so I’m not so much a beginner and I like the sound of the “phat” work out so I’m going to give that plan a go. Anyone tried that plan, or is currently doing it themselves?
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!

You may have been lifting for over a year, but your lack of understanding of how this all works, asking about a separate ab program, puts you in the beginner category. I'm nervous about the modifications you're going to make to PHAT...is it going to end up looking like one of the other workouts you'd cobbled together?

Totally agree with you.
    @kazane1, what was your programme for your previous year of lifting, and were you satisfied with the results?

I still think you need a basic programme with the basic lifts and little or no accessory work.

Cheers, h.

I’ve chose to do that phat workout now instead of follow any of these and I wasn’t amazingly happy with my oat results but I wasn’t hard done by either. I was following the split plan that i wrote down too.
  • kazane1
    I’ve chosen the the “phat” workout plan to follow so I’ll just scrap these other plans and make a few changes to the “phat” workout because I don’t have all the equipment. It’s just I paid for one of those workout plans and it wasn’t really working for me but I felt like I was wasting my money just disposing of it. And the split training workout I got of bodybuilding dot com and made a few alterations to it so I thought that one might be okay. But Yeahh I have been lifting for over a year now so I’m not so much a beginner and I like the sound of the “phat” work out so I’m going to give that plan a go. Anyone tried that plan, or is currently doing it themselves?
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!

You may have been lifting for over a year, but your lack of understanding of how this all works, asking about a separate ab program, puts you in the beginner category. I'm nervous about the modifications you're going to make to PHAT...is it going to end up looking like one of the other workouts you'd cobbled together?

I’m not going to make any major changes to it just things like changing cable flyes to normal flyes (because I don’t have cables) changing the ex bar curl preacher pad to dumbbell preacher pad curls. Nothing major or far away from the original plan. I want to follow a plan as close as I can and stick to it from now on :)
  • kazane1
    You are getting way to specific for a novice lifter. As recommended above get on a good novice program that focuses on overall development. I can't remember who said it but it's very true, novice lifters shouldn't worry about working on specific weakness and your splits are really getting too specific. Also, you say you don't have a cable machine so how are you doing pull downs?

I have a mini lay pull down that sticks on the end of a bench but nothing major. And thanks for the advice!
  • kazane1
    Lean59man wrote: »
    They all suck.

WTF are you doing, man?

I copied the split off some website and then one of them I paid for to see if that would be better and the full body I made with the advice of someone but none of them seem to be doing what I want them to do so that’s why I’m here ready and willing to change things up.
  • kazane1
    Thanks for all the input so far people
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Lean59man wrote: »
    They all suck.

WTF are you doing, man?

I copied the split off some website and then one of them I paid for to see if that would be better and the full body I made with the advice of someone but none of them seem to be doing what I want them to do so that’s why I’m here ready and willing to change things up.

Real talk - the best thing you can do is to pick a solid, well-designed beginner program and stick with it. Constantly program hopping and looking for what is "optimal" is a waste of time and hinders your progress. There's no such thing as one "optimal" program for everybody, or everybody would be doing it. Pick a good program that fits your schedule and goals, put your nose to the grindstone and stop overthinking it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    OP, we're only picking apart your programming because we care. Glad you've decided on one and will stick to it.
  • kazane1
    OP, we're only picking apart your programming because we care. Glad you've decided on one and will stick to it.

I know, I’m great full for all of your help and input it’s helped set things straight for me. Thanks for all the help!