Track vitamin d?

How come mfp doesn't track vitamin d?

Replies

• Savannahmiamaddie
    Savannahmiamaddie Posts: 54 Member
    I would like to track my vitamin D as well. I take a supplement but it would be helpful to track what I get from food.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    It is user entered.
  • dill_milk
    dill_milk Posts: 61 Member
    It is user entered.

How do i do that?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I'm not sure it's a required nutrient on a label - unless it was consistently available (and correctly entered) , tracking would be inaccurate
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    dill_milk wrote: »
    It is user entered.

How do i do that?

The database entries are often user entered, so if the person who created it didn't care about D they might not have included it.

If you can find a USDA entry for what you're eating, it will more likely include the correct breakdown. You can also correct entries I believe.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Get a blood test. That is the only way to track it. Seriously.

I’ve tested numerous times. Most people are deficient. It’s worth testing. I supplement with drops in my water.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It is user entered.

How do i do that?

The database entries are often user entered, so if the person who created it didn't care about D they might not have included it.

If you can find a USDA entry for what you're eating, it will more likely include the correct breakdown. You can also correct entries I believe.

There's no field in MFP for entering vitamin D, presumably because it wasn't required on U.S. food labels when MFP was designed. It's not users' "not caring" if there is no place in the system to record the information.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    It is user entered.

How do i do that?

There's no field in MFP for entering vitamin D, presumably because it wasn't required on U.S. food labels when MFP was designed. It's not users' "not caring" if there is no place in the system to record the information.

Huh, sorry, never noticed that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Our Canadian provincial (universal) health care plan stopped paying for vitamin D blood tests because it turns out that nearly everyone (in the northern hemisphere) is deficient.

I just make sure to take a supplement. Covered.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Oh, as a postscript, vitamin D can be manufactured by the body if you get enough sun exposure. Tracking food intake would not give you the full picture of your vitamin D intake.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    It is user entered.

How do i do that?

Huh, sorry, never noticed that.

Oh, I just thought you were thinking about vitamin A and C, and not registering that the thread was about D. Which is the kind of thing I would do. :)
  • bigmangettingthin
    bigmangettingthin Posts: 30 Member
    This app does. I have not used it but I see a lot of vegan fitness people on YouTube use it. It even breaks down the protein and much much more.

https://cronometer.com
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Why track? If you think you're deficient, take a supplement. I live in the Midwest...pretty much hard NOT to be deficient...I take 200mg a day.
  • dill_milk
    dill_milk Posts: 61 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Our Canadian provincial (universal) health care plan stopped paying for vitamin D blood tests because it turns out that nearly everyone (in the northern hemisphere) is deficient.

I just make sure to take a supplement. Covered.
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Why track? If you think you're deficient, take a supplement. I live in the Midwest...pretty much hard NOT to be deficient...I take 200mg a day.

Thanks, is a multivitamin enough? I live in the northern hemisphere also, in a valley where the winter and fall is cloudy and grey 90% of the time. It's really depressing