Antihistamines and weight gain

Options
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced any weight gain whilst on antihistamines. I am currently at a good weight but my doctor has advised I go on a 10mg dose of antihistamines but I am worried about the possible side effects of increased appetite has anyone experienced this???? Any advice or anyones experience would be appreciated!!!!!

Replies

• Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What kind of antihistamine? I take Allegra every day all year and haven’t noticed any weight gain...
  • anastasiah3456
    anastasiah3456 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't started them yet as I am worried about gaining weight on them but I have been reading a lot of articles online saying they increase appetite and can lead to weight gain but I have also read that a lot of people haven't experienced this!!!!!! Its very confusing at what to believe!!!!!
  • marlaannmrowka
    marlaannmrowka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I take 10mg antihistamines every summer and haven't noticed any side effects. I would think that because you're aware it could happen, you will curb the behavior before it starts if you're feeling any extra hunger.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've heard that.
  • gsteale1692
    gsteale1692 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just checked the drug reference book and you are good. Claritin is the only one with that side effect and its less than 2%
  • morningstr1
    morningstr1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If anything it's just the opposite for me. My histamine reactions are increased heart rate, restlessness and can't sleep. When I don't sleep I make poor decisions and I'm looking for a fix. Usually in the form of food especially sweets.
  • gentlereader75
    gentlereader75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think that antihistamines cause you to be more thirsty, since they have a drying effect. Some people may mistake thirst for hunger. I think if you drink plenty of water, you should be fine!
  • SamskiB
    SamskiB Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i take 540 mg of Fexofenadine (Allegra in the usa i believe its called) every day (plus 2 more tablets if i really need it which is against my drs advise heh) plus up to 40 mg of Loratadine (Claritin) if needed. Been taking this for a couple of years now and have never noticed any weight gain...now Amitriptyline i took for migraine is a whole different story!