C4 preworkout - first time user

Options
I do intense cardio (spin) and full body weights sessions (circuit training), using free weights due to restrictions from RA. I track my HR on a fitbit Charge 2. I know they aren't accurate, but like to compare apples to apples as between workouts. For example, I track each spin workout from the same start point to the same end point and review the metrics.

I tried 1 scoop of C4 before a spin class. My metrics were WAY off - but not off the charts HIGH, like I read everywhere about racing hearts and exploding hearts: they were 20 points or more BELOW my normal range on average, for what was a particularly challenging class. Without C4, I would have been expected much higher results - not record-setting low results.

I tried it with circuit training as well, and again, got my lowest ever HR recording for the exact same workout (and I had a few new PRs and extra reps).

Has anyone had a similar experience?

What am I missing?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I don't use c4, so nothing to add there, but my mom has RA. I just wanted to say that you are awesome.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well thanks. I'm very lucky to have it well managed with meds - I hope your mom is too! The damage has limited what I can do, but spin has been fantastic for me because it has zero impact on my joints (unlike walking, yoga and pretty much everything else). The strength training has also helped reduce stress on my joints.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Has this only happened once? It has a bunch of caffeine so it should provide some stimulatory effect, but it's possible it was just an off day.
  • _piaffe
    Options
    I've been too nervous to try it again but maybe I should to compare.

The results on my fitbit were simply bizarre.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    I've been too nervous to try it again but maybe I should to compare.

The results on my fitbit were simply bizarre.

Try partial serving to determine how you will handle the amount of proprietary energy blend it has. It could be too much for you in general or you need to work up to the whole dose.
  • _piaffe
    Options
    ^ Thanks. I'll try that too. I took it at 6:30 in the morning and didn't need coffee all day, so there's that!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I get weird HR information from my Fitbit all of the time, so I don't even pay attention to it. I was doing 20/40s on my indoor trainer the other day and my chest strap and Garmin was giving me a HR of 153 while my Charge 2 was reading 115.
  • _piaffe
    Options
    Good to know it’s not just me!

Will try it again fo weights.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Whats your main reaction to Caffeine? That's the main active ingredient in any preworkout. Could just save the money and buy generic caffeine pills fyi. However the reason I ask is because everyone is different on how they and their body reacts to different substances.
  • _piaffe
    Options
    I am quite good with caffeine. Don’t get jittery. Maybe I’m used to my current volume - 3 medium coffees in a day, 5:30am 11 am and about 3 pm.

I have read that some people use black coffee as their go to preworkout. I use mine to function - so maybe I can double up and have one of my coffees as an “extra” before I workout. That would move the 11 am to 5:30 as well, since generally I workout mornings.
  • tanasta2
    tanasta2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Typically pre-workout are designed for improving lifting performance not cardio. I only drink pre-workout before weight training not cardio. Most people are going to crash if I drink pre-workout before a sprinting or basketball session or any cardio-heavy activities really.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I use it for lifting. I like the extra oomph. I take two scoops.
  • _piaffe
    Options
    I decided not to try again with cardio. Coffee seems to work for me. I will try it before weights.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Odd question but do you have ADD or some of the symptoms? I'm borderline ADD and my reaction with caffeine is that it slows me down and helps me focus. A cup of coffee does bring my heart rate down, you might have the same reaction and this is just the first time you picked it up at a high level. No sure but just speculation.
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hey, I experience the same thing on C4. I have 2 different brands of pre-workout and I like to alternate to keep the tolerance level lower since the ingredients are not the same. My cardio is 50-60 mins of running on the treadmill 9km/h with an incline of 1. When I take either of them my HR is about 10 to 15 BPM lower than it normally is for that training.

Also I drink about 4-5 cups of coffee a day on any given day without getting jiggery or headaches so I guess it may have to do with the vasodilatating indregrients... maybe the heart doesn't have to push as hard to get the blood flowing? Just a guess. Worst thing on C4 is that it makes my skin so itchy (face/hands) !
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    0831227 wrote: »
    Hey, I experience the same thing on C4. I have 2 different brands of pre-workout and I like to alternate to keep the tolerance level lower since the ingredients are not the same. My cardio is 50-60 mins of running on the treadmill 9km/h with an incline of 1. When I take either of them my HR is about 10 to 15 BPM lower than it normally is for that training.

Also I drink about 4-5 cups of coffee a day on any given day without getting jiggery or headaches so I guess it may have to do with the vasodilatating indregrients... maybe the heart doesn't have to push as hard to get the blood flowing? Just a guess. Worst thing on C4 is that it makes my skin so itchy (face/hands) !

@0831227 the itchiness is caused by the beta-alanine in C4... cellucor makes C4 without beta-alanine - C4 zero
  • _piaffe
    edited March 2018
    Options
    0831227 wrote: »

Wow! That pretty much sounds like me. So what is the science - are we not working out as hard? (because that defeats my purpose with intense cardio)

ETA: I also hate the itchy face!!
  • _piaffe
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Odd question but do you have ADD or some of the symptoms? I'm borderline ADD and my reaction with caffeine is that it slows me down and helps me focus. A cup of coffee does bring my heart rate down, you might have the same reaction and this is just the first time you picked it up at a high level. No sure but just speculation.

Not that I'm aware of!