Discrepancies in the database?

So I just went to the the green checked verified entry for Carrots, raw and there is no difference in calories between the portion size of 78 grams and 100 grams. Now this is a verified entry and it makes me feel a little weary about other ones. What do you do when you find entries that you know are incorrect?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If they aren't yet checked, I correct them.

If they are checked, I look for a better entry.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    The verified entry I use is also called, "Carrots, raw" and it is verified and it gives correct data.

You do have to check them before you use them. Once you use them, the correct one will appear in your "recents" list, so if it's something you use regularly, you can just find it there. Otherwise, I do what janejellyroll said. Once you "edit" something it is then in your MY FOODS list forever, so you will be able to find it again that way too.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I don't use the database for this reason, you never know if it's really correct or not. I add all my foods manually and don't add them to the database, just keep them for myself, that way I know they're correct.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    I ask siri.

Although fr33sia12 is my #MFPGoals.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    This is why I moved to Cronometer for my logging.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I find a better entry. For something like carrots I'd look for something like "Carrots-raw-USDA" and then compare that to the USDA site.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    This is why I moved to Cronometer for my logging.

So did I.

I thought Mrs. Natty's Avatar was a skull. Disturbing 'til enlarged it to find the teeth are a little girl's striped stockings and the eye holes are her curly-haired head and a butterfly.
  • rocknrobin65
    rocknrobin65 Posts: 28 Member
    I either add my foods manually or scan them in. I find many entries that are way off.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I don't know why I didn't link this USDA/MFP tips thread:

How to use MFP with the USDA database for accurate logging
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I either add my foods manually or scan them in. I find many entries that are way off.

Scanning just takes you a database entry some user created. It's no guarantee of accuracy.
  • CindyMarie85
    CindyMarie85 Posts: 20 Member
    Thank everyone! and I will be using the USDA database for sure now!