Peanut M&Ms

For about the past 2 weeks I have been having a craving for Peanut M&Ms. I knew if I didn't do something about it soon, I wouldn't be a pretty sight (eating whatever is in sight). So I broke down and bought a party size bag of M&Ms. WOAH! WOAH!! Put down the pitchforks and torches. Allow me to explain myself before I'm hanged, drawn, and quartered. Along with the M&Ms, I bought some sandwich baggies and a permanent marker.

When I got home, I spent the next 45 minutes weighing M&Ms, and marking the bag with the weight. I got the bags as close to 100 calories as I could (19g), some went a little over by 1g. I figured this was the perfect way to enjoy something I love and not over indulge. I ended up with 60 baggies of M&Ms that I can grab one a day and not kill my calorie count.

The sad part was not the fact that so few M&Ms would make 100 calories, I figured it wasn't going to be a lot. But the real sad part was realizing that before changing my eating habits, I would shove 100 calories (if not more) of M&Ms in my mouth at one time and continue going back for more. I'm very happy I no longer do that without thinking of the consequences.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with everyone, in case if like me, you crave something sweet and you want a way to enjoy it in smaller quantities.

dmwczz0ul74f.png
gbu9daeehtj2.png

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Cool. I've done that with regular M&Ms, but in serving sizes of around 200 calories.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    This is a great idea (because I do the same with cereal). For some reason, I can do one bag a day but, if it's not preportioned, about 6 unlogged handfulls are a portion.

I'm normally good with the party sized bags of m&ms tho.
  • Davidaw86
    Davidaw86 Posts: 117 Member
    bbell1985 - Thanks! That's the reason I put the weight down, it'll force me to put it on my diary entry (I put my food down before I eat it), so if I see my calorie count going up too much, I stop myself.
    Orphia wrote: »
    Cool. I've done that with regular M&Ms, but in serving sizes of around 200 calories.

I didn't want to do too much, just enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • Davidaw86
    glassyo wrote: »
    This is a great idea (because I do the same with cereal). For some reason, I can do one bag a day but, if it's not preportioned, about 6 unlogged handfulls are a portion.

I'm normally good with the party sized bags of m&ms tho.

Lol! I could see myself doing that with cereal. It's a good thing I don't buy cereal often. :D
  • Davidaw86
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Not my first rodeo. I "put my food down" before I eat it, often, for years, as well. Still doesn't stop me from over eating these days.

I have absolutely no will power some days, lol. If I don't log before I eat, I know I'll regret it (happens everyday I do it).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I would have just got a normal single serve pack... 250 cals can always fit in a week.

That's my plan for reeses pieces next week :bigsmile:
  • littlebrittlifts
    littlebrittlifts Posts: 225 Member
    Great idea!
  • Davidaw86
    edited February 2018
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Try getting some snack size Ziploc. I know this sounds silly but that empty of a bag would not feel like a great but the same number in a smaller bag would work for me. So snack size Ziploc.
    Kinda like the smaller plates feel more full and this more filling

I would have, but I'm going to do the same thing with some chips we bought as well. So I needed the larger ones.
    I would have just got a normal single serve pack... 250 cals can always fit in a week.

I find I can't always fit much more than 100 calories at a time. So I figured I can always grab two bags of them if I can fit more calories in (like I did yesterday).
    Please keep and reuse the bags!

Don't worry, I reuse bags whenever I can. :)
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Mmmm, I love peanut M&Ms!!!
    I’ve done the same with dried a fruit/ seeds/ nuts mix. Not so muc because I tend to overindulge on them, but just for the convenience factor.
    I should do that with my cereal too. Because if I’m not careful, I could also eat it by the handful(s).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It's a great strategy but I couldn't deal with 60 bags of M&ms waiting to be eaten! 9 mms for 100 calories!!
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    I love peanut butter M&M's. I buy the snack size bags, but it would be more economical to do it your way. :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    I buy a "pantry sized" 62 oz bag of M&M peanuts at Costco or Smart & Final and always have another bag in reserve.

I just eat a 1/4 cup serving at a time, which is 220 cals, usually as a late night snack w/a cup of tea.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    I love peanut butter M&M's. I buy the snack size bags, but it would be more economical to do it your way. :)

I got a party bag of the peanut butter M&Ms for Christmas from a friend as I LOVE those things... and I was really proud of myself. I would limit myself to 5 M&Ms a night and it was more then enough.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I love m&ms and I love peanut butter flavored things and I can't believe it took me until late last year to actually try the peanut butter m&ms!
  • WestCoastCyclist
    WestCoastCyclist Posts: 15 Member
    That was one of my discoveries this past Halloween. For me, peanut m&ms are not worth it. (I was only eating them to get to the chocolate bars that I preferred.)
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    M&M's and did I hear chips as well? I am starting to think we might be seeing a pattern here. Cupboards filled with ziplock bags of junk foods. :p:p