My weight and my clothes size don't make sense to me

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    There was a pre-1958 chart, then the federal government update sizes in 1958, 1970 and then 2001 and 2011, with new size standards. Basically, the size chart has change by half in the last 50 years.

Marilyn Monreo 1958-size 12 2018 size 6
    Brigitte Bardot 1970-size 8 2018 size 0
    Queen Latifah 2001-size 18 2018 size 14

Hard to believe she was a size 8 back then. Makes me wonder how many people actually were a size 0/2. Bardot-early-1950s.jpg
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Back in the 70s/80s I weighed 120-125 and poured myself into size 7 pants. After kids, I weighed 145 and was size 12. Lost that weight, got down to 115 and was a 5. That was in the 80s. Fast forward to a few years ago. I weighed 190 and wore 18 or XXL. I must be the only throw back. When I shrunk out of my 14s at maybe 150#, I offered them to a friend who was also losing and had maybe 30# on me. She was down to a 10! What? Granted, I keep most of my weight in my belly. Now I am keeping steady at 116# and comfortable in a size 4.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Right now I have some pants that fit well that are a size 6 and a size 8. I sometimes try on 8s and I can't get them past my hips. Add that discrepancy to the fact that your weight distribution is probably much different now from when you were 18 and then vanity sizing and that explains a lot!
  • ZazieMFP
    ZazieMFP Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2018
    I would not mind the "vanity sizing" if it was consistent from a brand to another.

Consistency. This is one of the many reason I love sewing my own clothes: no vanity sizing there. Sewing patterns companies changed the sizing in the mid-seventies, but since that time, the size charts have been consistent. They're based on actual measurements (centimeters and inches). I am 5'4, 126 lbs, and I am a 12-14 (or 38-40) in sewing patterns, no matter if it is a US or European brand. And guess what the smallest regular women's size is? Size 6. :-)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Im a sz 6/8 even at a higher weight, in the 80s and early to mid 90s I was 140 and wearing a 9/10,even pregnant and weighing 180 I could wear the same size jeans(which now even sizes are womens and odd sizes are jrs.). I can wear a sz 6 dress though now. but some jeans I wear are a 10 depending on how they are made.

I have big hips,thighs and butt so if a pair of jeans fit me in those areas they are too big and gap in the waist. Im more than 140 now and can wear smaller sizes,Im sure it is vanity sizing as every brand is different so I have to try EVERYTHING on. Last time I lost weight in 2004 at 175lb I was a sz 10. so yeah a lot has changed in less than 20 years.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    mk2fit wrote: »
    Back in the 70s/80s I weighed 120-125 and poured myself into size 7 pants. After kids, I weighed 145 and was size 12. Lost that weight, got down to 115 and was a 5. That was in the 80s. Fast forward to a few years ago. I weighed 190 and wore 18 or XXL. I must be the only throw back. When I shrunk out of my 14s at maybe 150#, I offered them to a friend who was also losing and had maybe 30# on me. She was down to a 10! What? Granted, I keep most of my weight in my belly. Now I am keeping steady at 116# and comfortable in a size 4.

yeah in 1986 I was 12 and was about 120lb and could wear a 5 and had a 25inch waist. my waist is now 28 inches. when I was 13-14 I was closer to 130-135 and wore a 9/10. same size clear up to my mid 30s at 140.because I didnt gain until I hit my 30s lol. I weighed around 140 before and after I had kids. until those dreaded mid 30s lol
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    My weight is definitely distributed differently now than at 18. I always used to have a small waist, flat stomach, big boobs and big hips/rear. Now I have a small rear end and legs, my boobs went from triple D to D when I lost all my weight. But they are droopy with loose skin and very hard to find a bra for right now. My waist is pudgy with loose skin and stretch marks from babies. I haven't had any trouble fitting my rear into jeans which is completely new for me! I think maybe it's because I don't eat sugar and bread. I eat very clean. But also I don't have a lot of muscle and I did when I was 18. Very different shape.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing Yeah, both vanity sizing and the fact that different designers size differently are issues, but vanity sizing is definitely a thing, and big changes have definitely happened in 20 years. 20 years ago I was a medium even in stretchy clothes, and now I'm a small in stretchy stuff even though I'm 20 pounds heavier than I was then.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    So I’m a 2, moving into a 0. Them what? Where do you even buy smaller clothes? Are petite sizes smaller, or just shorter?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited February 2018
    nowine4me wrote: »
    So I’m a 2, moving into a 0. Them what? Where do you even buy smaller clothes? Are petite sizes smaller, or just shorter?

I prefer my clothes baggy so I don't mind. If I want something tight I wear kids sizes or stores that are more true to size like h&M. I've seen they have size 23 and 000 which is like kids 12/14.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    My weight is definitely distributed differently now than at 18. I always used to have a small waist, flat stomach, big boobs and big hips/rear. Now I have a small rear end and legs, my boobs went from triple D to D when I lost all my weight. But they are droopy with loose skin and very hard to find a bra for right now. My waist is pudgy with loose skin and stretch marks from babies. I haven't had any trouble fitting my rear into jeans which is completely new for me! I think maybe it's because I don't eat sugar and bread. I eat very clean. But also I don't have a lot of muscle and I did when I was 18. Very different shape.

eating clean has nothing to do with body composition. you just lost fat in those areas from a deficit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

you go to kids size and petite is not always shorter. I looked at a few petite sizes lately and Im 5'6 1/2. my daughter is 5'3 and she looks for petite and even the jeans she was looking at were too long on me. they would have fit length wise for someone 6' easily. some are shorter but some are not.petites are supposed to be for shorter women. they arent smaller because you can get an 18 in a petite. my sons gf is 4'10 and you can bet they are too long on her lol
  • Noreenmarie1234

http://time.com/how-to-fix-vanity-sizing/

h&M and zara tend to be the smallest/ the most true to size out of all the brands.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    @nowine4me While wearing size 0, think of this. How wide are your hips? Not to disparage you, but the kids sizes are made with narrow hips in mind. When I was maybe 30, my size 5s were very loose and I swore I would not go smaller. I tried 12-14 in girls, but...hips. Maybe learn how to sew? Hell (can I say that?) I don't know.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    mk2fit wrote: »
    @nowine4me While wearing size 0, think of this. How wide are your hips? Not to disparage you, but the kids sizes are made with narrow hips in mind. When I was maybe 30, my size 5s were very loose and I swore I would not go smaller. I tried 12-14 in girls, but...hips. Maybe learn how to sew? Hell (can I say that?) I don't know.

yeah it can depend on that too.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Vanity sizing for men is happening too. My husband has lost about 8 lbs. he’s not overweight, he just wanted to lose some belly and build some muscle. Today he tried on a size 30” shorts to prove he could wear them now. He is always a 32-33. He tried and they fit well and then he told me he swears they were 32”. So we picked up another brand 30” and they were 2” smaller than the 30” he just tried on.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Vanity sizing for sure.

A size 8 in 2018 is not the same as a size 8 in 1978.

I was 145# size 16 in 1989. I'm 134.6# size 8 in 2018. My body shape has not changed.

Your stats are the same as mine. Size 8 is perfect for me in just about everything. I've never before in my life been able to wear a size 8, even when my weight was what it is now.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I have some 'vintage' sewing patterns from the 60's.
    Size 10 had a 31" bust a 24" waist and a 33" hip
    Size 18 had a 38" bust a 30" waist and a 40" hip

Vanity sizing.
    I took a size 5 (non stretch jeans) in the mid 80's when I weighed 120 lbs (5'8" 22yo), Today I take a size 2 at 138lbs (5'8" 54yo).