Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969 I am sorry someone stole your coat. They may have been drunk and thought it was theirs. Try calling the bar later and see if it has been returned. I certainly would take it back if it were me. It sounds like you did really well on your St. Patrick's Day and evening. We went out to lunch and sat at the bar (not an Irish place so it wasn't busy). I ordered my usual (now) seltzer and cranberry. The bartender said, "with vodka, right?" I've never been there so it was so odd for him to just ASSUME! I just shook my head and said, "no just the seltzer and cranberry, please." Then I added, "I'm driving." He didn't give me any attitude at all (like some bartenders I have read about on here). I am no longer going to be "embarrassed" to just belly up to the bar and order a non alcoholic drink! Alcohol seems to be the only drug we need to make excuses for not indulging in. It's ridiculous! I am so proud of all of you that have learned to moderate. That is truly awesome. I wish that were me but I have done too many "experiments" to know I can't.

Thanks! I imagine that they picked the coat up by mistake; I'll call tomorrow and check.

Great point you make. Just say "I'm driving". That's perfect response to the bartender. How could they frown upon that!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Hey all! I just got to Chicago today for work and wasn’t planning on drinking and then had two glasses of wine with dinner (by myself) I feel down on myself. I have a hard time not “rewarding” myself on work trips. At least I didn’t order dessert :)

I can so relate... work trips definitely bring out my tendency to drink - whether it’s with colleagues or by myself - there aren’t any home distractions, no kids to deal with homework or put to bed. I always feel like it’s my reward for being away from home. I’ve got one later this week and will be figuring out a plan as well.

Good job on no dessert! Maybe hit the hotel gym in the morning - that always makes me feel so productive on work trips.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    4 TQ drinks last night plus 6 Oreos. :#
    Could have been much worse.
    Back on track today. ;)

Kittybenn <3 you are so right, I don't think any of us that either tiptoed or fell headfirst (me) into the deep end had a great experiment. Lucky for me I was in the safely of my own home with my husband.
    I did learn from this, I still don't moderate well, and not sure if I ever will. Lesson learned?
    We are going to Las Vegas in 2.5 weeks and I am a bit nervous about that. Thinking it would be best for me to stay AF that weekend. o:)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    erikNJ wrote: »
    I failed miserably yesterday :(
    I planned on being alcohol free all weekend. But I let my really bad week and depression get the best of me and had an “I don’t care today” attitude. Drank entirely too much. Ate really unhealthy food all day ...

Don't feel bad I've been off the wagon for a month celebrating my bday (which is officially tomorrow 20th)! I've had bad drinking during the week AND I never drink during the week. That's how bad it is. I am just trying to finish this month out and get back on track next week.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Hey all! I just got to Chicago today for work and wasn’t planning on drinking and then had two glasses of wine with dinner (by myself) I feel down on myself. I have a hard time not “rewarding” myself on work trips. At least I didn’t order dessert :)

Welcome to Chicago!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Wow, it sounds like everyone had a great weekend. So happy to hear it. I am so inspired by all of your will power. And if you slipped up a bit, remember that it is all a part of the process. Do not be too hard on yourself. No good comes of that. Use it as a learning experience and it will definitely help you on down the road.

I am happy to say that I also had a great weekend. I consumed very little alcohol. I had races on both Saturday and Sunday mornings and I did very well in both of them, finishing first in my age group on Saturday and second on Sunday. That would not have been happening if alcohol was involved. I did not drink on Friday night. I did have a celebration drink on Saturday at the post race party. Then we went back to our house where we had some friends over and made corned beef and cabbage and had a fire in the fire pit. The party was starting to get rolling in the early evening, so I called it a night and went to bed and read. So happy for that, as it made getting up on Sunday a whole lot easier. I ended the weekend with two glasses of wine last night. Not bad for what is traditionally a heavy drinking weekend.

@JulieAL1969- I know what you mean about being saddened by the drunkeness of the young people in the bars. I do not enjoy that scene anymore. We were at an Irish Pub on Saturday after our race and there were so many stubble drunk people there that I had to leave. It was only noon, so I can only imagine how much worse it got.
  • RubyRed427
    mazcor536 wrote: »
    Bit late to the party, but I’m here, if only to offer moral support! I used to drink way too much, way too often, but stopped completely back in October. Just celebrated 5 months dry, and I’m down 42lb. It’s worth stopping or cutting down, the rewards are unfathomable! Best of luck to you all!

Wow! Thanks for your encouragement. I am now more motivated than ever because of you and all the other posters!
  • RubyRed427
    MissMay wrote: »
    Since I don't want to sound like someone that just posts when things are going great for me, I have come to a real awakening realization. I had thought I could cut back and have AF days and then have a cocktail and be fine. It may be the fact that I went 5 days last week AF and wanted to "reward" myself. My resistance to alcohol has lowered considerably, and awhile back I quoted that "we take a drink, that drink takes a drink and then the drinks take you". Well that so called "reward drink" ended up taking me down very badly last night.
    This sick feeling I am experiencing right now is one I wish I could some how click & save to my phone and then play it to myself the next time I THINK I need to reward myself. It would be like a shock collar to make me stop and say NO I don't want to feel like &*%$ in the morning.
    Bottem line is I need to go completely alcohol free.

Thanks for your honesty. I have been there! The sick feeling is like no other and one of the biggest deterrents. So sorry the drink took you. But I am positive this will get you back on track, better than ever. And more aware than ever what works for YOU. I'm sending you a big hug. Tomorrow, you will feel so much better. Sometimes I drink chicken stock for the vitamins and salt to help a little bit. xo
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    ehseeker wrote: »
    @MissMay "reward" Yes, I think that is where we fool ourselves. Don't beat yourself up over this. Can you think of it as a learning experience and accept it for that? We're all learning our limitations. It's a journey. Hope your day gets better.

Agreed. I think many of us have been there too.